TikTok could be banned in U.S. with upcoming bill to prohibit foreign tech

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is a pretty huge change so I thought it worth bringing up as a new topic.

More than 30 U.S. states, Canada and European Union policy institutions have banned TikTok from being loaded onto state-owned devices

Warner said he was concerned that TikTok “can be a propaganda tool” based on the types of videos it sends to users.

He said the bill he plans to introduce “would say, in terms of foreign technology coming into America, we’ve got to have a systematic approach to make sure we can ban or prohibit it when necessary.”

He said he planned to introduce the legislation this week with Republican Senator John Thune. A spokesperson for Warner said they expected to make an announcement on Tuesday.

Details about the proposed bill were not available on Sunday. A spokesman for Thune did not immediately respond to questions about the plan. (Reporting by Brad Heath Editing by Marguerita Choy)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I for the life of me don't understand why a US based company can't duplicate the tech.

Offer everyone coming from TikTok their old user names and just let TT die.
FB, IG and Twitter have been scrambling to keep up by pushing their reels and videos areas but are falling way behind. Personally, I cannot get into Tik Tok at all, I've tried and it just has zero appeal to me in any way.

Even after being a member for over a year and only following the limited photographers it has, they still only show me videos of half-dressed young teenage girls dancing, to the point I just stopped using it all together. I'm in my late 50s and never watch such shit online, it's like they want me on a FBI watchlist or something.

Additionally, IG is pushing so hard for reels that they're offering certain content creators $10 per video when you post so many in a limited time period. The problem is that reels get little to no traffic (likes) so we're hesitant to post them, it would be good money in my pocket actually but would come at the expense of degrading the quality of my timeline, so I've refused to do it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
they still only show me videos of half-dressed young teenage girls dancing, to the point I just stopped using it all together. I'm in my late 50s and never watch such shit online, it's like they want me on a FBI watchlist or something.

I have noticed some of these showing up in my FB Reels. Not explicit enough to break the rules, but bumping up against them for sure. I just want my cat videos. LOL

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have noticed some of these showing up in my FB Reels. Not explicit enough to break the rules, but bumping up against them for sure. I just want my cat videos. LOL
Same here with my FB feed, at least you can close that panel out for a little while before it pops back up. I think it's really just something for the younger generation, there's no way I can relate to any of that content.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm one of those who also doesn't get the popularity. I think the only time I've gone there is when somebody sent or posted a link. What separates it from other services? Am I supposed to believe that posting and viewing short length videos is the height of innovation and online addiction? Is that it? If so, I think society needs to take a step back and have a global WTF is wrong with us moment.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ have a question about TikTok, if there is an ability to “spy” I’m not sure what that means other than the ability to do something like insert false narratives during election time or to blunt valid critiques of China through manipulation by agents of China which btw is a valid concern in all social media, and not just China but all foreign players if they are validly deemed hostile to the US (or apply this standard to any country on either end of the issue, as manipulator or manipulated).

For the former, ”spying” , I would think that programming experts would be able dissect the software and find the ability to spy, but for the latter which is a valid concern I am more sympathetic to the idea of banning China if there is a history of false narratives favorable to China, or detrimental to US elections being used to manipulate the sheep.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ have a question about TikTok, if there is an ability to “spy” I’m not sure what that means other than the ability to do something like insert false narratives during election time or to blunt valid critiques of China through manipulation by agents of China which btw is a valid concern in all social media, and not just China but all foreign players if they are validly deemed hostile to the US (or apply this standard to any country on either end of the issue, as manipulator or manipulated).

For the former, ”spying” , I would think that programming experts would be able dissect the software and find the ability to spy, but for the latter which is a valid concern I am more sympathetic to the idea of banning China if there is a history of false narratives favorable to China, or detrimental to US elections being used to manipulate the sheep.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

It would be nice if such legislation inadvertently banned the Republican Party.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
JFC, this is what the user base of TikTok has come to. Fruit Roll-ups now has to issue a statement not to eat the fucking wrapper, really. Just WTF is wrong with people!

Fruit Roll-Ups brand tells TikTok users: Don't eat the plastic​

The brand's TikTok account responded to several viral videos that suggest people can eat the treat with plastic on if it is frozen.

raw

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Just WTF is wrong with people!

Even though you did not frame it as a question, nevertheless I think I can explain. There are facts that it took me years to erase from my head due to the fact that my older brother was such an accomplished bullshitter. Even now, he like to make shit up, just to mess with people's heads. Thence comes the problem. Some folks just like to mess with other people's heads – it may be the only sex they get. The users of TikTok seem to be fertile ground for them.

I mean, when I was young, we had to eat our laundry detergent out of the box. Kis these days, so spoiled.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
TikTok is brilliant and got me through the pandemic as it was a welcome distraction. Instagram reels is much the same but I’m not in the habit of browsing that one. I’m. I’m not entirely sure what the fuss is as I don’t have any personal details on TikTok, but it would be concerning if the app is hacking into personal data on our phones. I haven’t seen any evidence for that though so far.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
TikTok is brilliant and got me through the pandemic as it was a welcome distraction. Instagram reels is much the same but I’m not in the habit of browsing that one. I’m. I’m not entirely sure what the fuss is as I don’t have any personal details on TikTok, but it would be concerning if the app is hacking into personal data on our phones. I haven’t seen any evidence for that though so far.
I feel like I went above and beyond to try to get it to work for my preferences, photography and drone videos. I have never once searched for girls or any of that on there but they won't stop feeding it.

So what I did was clicked on every one that showed up in my feed (like 20 o0r 30) and chose the "don't show me this kind of content" (something like that) and then searched out and followed a bunch of photographers and drone pilots. Checked back a week later and it was still flooding my timeline with these young girls dancing.

I cannot stop it no matter what I try and frankly the platform isn't worth that effort to keep trying. I get there's a kajillion users on it but they seem to have zero targeting. I'm convinced that I'm just too old for it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
TikTok is brilliant and got me through the pandemic as it was a welcome distraction.

I have a client who is probably 65 or so and very wealthy. Like $100M+ wealthy.

I found out this past summer that he will watch TikTok's while sitting in a hunting blind. Of all the people I know, he would have been one of the last I would have suspected of even knowing what TikTok was, much less having the app on his phone.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve heard that efforts in Congress instead of trying to ban TikTok would be to pass legislation that protects all users privacy and data, but then how would all the other social media react? :unsure:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I already found the term “tiktoker” annoying a long time ago, but my annoyance increased when an article recently used that term to describe somebody I follow on YouTube, which is where their main audience is. Fact is content creators diversify the services they use to increase their exposure. Using Tiktok as one of many services doesn’t make somebody a TikToker. It’s like labeling anybody who has money in a bank a fanatical capitalist.

I’m also tired of seeing articles saying everybody is losing their shit over something shared on TikTok. …everybody is doing this…..buying this….watching this…listening to this. “Life changing” is frequently used. Fuck off.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m also tired of seeing articles saying everybody is losing their shit over something shared on TikTok. …everybody is doing this…..buying this….watching this…listening to this. “Life changing” is frequently used. Fuck off.
It's part of the viral machine. This sort of promotional stuff is just another example of how advertising is trying to hide itself in our culture and news.

"If people are tuning out ads, but have a high respect for the news, the news should be advertising."

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I already found the term “tiktoker” annoying a long time ago, but my annoyance increased when an article recently used that term to describe somebody I follow on YouTube, which is where their main audience is. Fact is content creators diversify the services they use to increase their exposure. Using Tiktok as one of many services doesn’t make somebody a TikToker. It’s like labeling anybody who has money in a bank a fanatical capitalist.

Ref, the term, I pictured someone about to blow, with a smattering of clicker from The Last of Us. ;)

Top Bottom
1 2