Upcoming, Rumored Movie, TV Projects

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve started rewatching Firefly (TV 2002) to be climaxed with Serenity (Movie 2005) an enjoyable, but short lived science fiction series and a movie which is a direct sequel.. Despite a horrible time slot, and meddling by Fox Studio, the show gained a significant fan base, before Fox cancelled it. And now that Disney owns the property it is rumored that this show will be revived as a reboot on Disney +.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Top Gun 2-Dec2021
This article is 2 years old, but elsewhere, I read that Tom Cruise insisted on Val Kilmer as Iceman, and if you know anything about Kilmer, (watch the Val Documentary) due to serious debilitating sickness, he has lost his voice, and is a shadow of the presence he had in the original 1986 film. The question is how much CGI work has been done to accomplish this feat.

C8DD32FE-F3F1-4D66-909A-E8C45B054691.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Top Gun 2-Dec2021
This article is 2 years old, but elsewhere, I read that Tom Cruise insisted on Val Kilmer as Iceman, and if you know anything about Kilmer, (watch the Val Documentary) due to serious debilitating sickness, he has lost his voice, and is a shadow of the presence he had in the original 1986 film. The question is how much CGI work has been done to accomplish this feat.

That doc is well worth a watch, I've been a Val Kilmer fan for decades. Yeah, I have no idea how he's going to be in the new Top Gun movie given his speaking limitations. Heck, maybe they'll just let him play Iceman like he's in the same place as Val himself.

We rewatched [the original] Top Gun a couple of months ago, hahahah, it is not good, in fact, it pretty f-ing terrible, and geez, Cruise is not attractive, he looks much better with some age on him.

We also rewatched Risky Business and wow, does that hold up really well.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
FMA I have seen it yet! Watching now!

NOOICE!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It's really weird seeing the classic opening, redone in live action

For comparison

If you've never seen this opening or one of the greatest anime series of all time, ...you're welcome.

That’s great! It sounds like they may have re-recorded the music. I will have to listen again.

I believe saw Mad Pierrot and the Teddy Bomber in there…. Pretty excited!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That doc is well worth a watch, I've been a Val Kilmer fan for decades. Yeah, I have no idea how he's going to be in the new Top Gun movie given his speaking limitations. Heck, maybe they'll just let him play Iceman like he's in the same place as Val himself.

We rewatched [the original] Top Gun a couple of months ago, hahahah, it is not good, in fact, it pretty f-ing terrible, and geez, Cruise is not attractive, he looks much better with some age on him.

We also rewatched Risky Business and wow, does that hold up really well.
Love Risky Business. :)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch, postponed due to covid, but now scheduled for theatrical release on October 22. Full title of the film is The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun.

It's not in the action-adventure category of films likely to land in my latest Netflix-generated "Lizkat, what are people watching in your area?" newsletter.... but there's already chatter about how the film might find a slot in the Oscars for Best Production Design.

It will undoubtedly become a cult classic for at least the aficionados of The New Yorker in its eras before Tina Brown came along and made the magazine (and certainly its covers) more topical, as the film is modeled on how a couple of the magazine's much earler editors and staff writers had operated and indeed established the magazine's reputation for fact checking and for long reads on unlikely topics and profiles of surprisingly interesting people.

With that reputation of course came certain unyielding attitudes of The New Yorker's earlier editors towards social change, not least within its own environs, not just the city but the offices of the magazine. Anyway the magazine itself of today has taken an interest in Wes Anderson's film, and has run a few pieces already about The French Dispatch. I got a kick out of one written by the current editor of The New Yorker's archives:

Next month, Anderson’s latest film, “The French Dispatch,” about a magazine in mid-century France that bears a striking resemblance to The New Yorker, will première in theatres across the country. With a star-filled cast that includes Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, and Timothée Chalamet, the film traces the compilation of an issue of the magazine during a series of chapters, four devoted to the creation of individual articles. There are many things that the filmmaker gets right, as well as a few that slightly miss the mark (perhaps deliberately so). For example, when the editor-in-chief, Arthur Howitzer, Jr., played by Murray, orders his staff to remove the masthead in order to make more room for a lengthy piece, I let out a cough; The New Yorker, in its ninety-six-year existence, hasn’t published a masthead.

Howitzer is a highly nuanced cross between the magazine’s first editor, Harold Ross, who ran The New Yorker from 1925 until his death, in 1951, and its second, William Shawn, who edited the magazine for thirty-five years, until 1987. Tossing off crisp lines with deadpan determination, Howitzer artfully guides his writers as they alight upon their stories. Ross, who created The New Yorker after a stint as an editor for the military newspaper the Stars & Stripes, was similarly blunt and forthright with his writers. He would regularly dash off memos alerting staff to shortcomings in their work (and also highlights), mostly written in a droll but exuberant style. In a note to the writer Lois Long, in 1938, Ross gently advised toning down a bit of her night-life reporting, remarking, “New York isn’t quite as bad as Sodom and Gomorrah and if it is we better keep it quiet.”

One of the film’s early chapters focuses on a journalist, Herbsaint Sazerac, played by Owen Wilson, who introduces viewers, during jaunts on his bicycle, to the history and culture of Ennui-sur-Blasé, the fictional city where The French Dispatch magazine is based. Partly modelled on the New Yorker staff writer Joseph Mitchell, Sazerac is a master of the high-low style of reportage that The New Yorker helped pioneer, and which Anderson finds endlessly fascinating. Mitchell, with his profiles of figures across New York, originated a new approach to narrative literary journalism in a series of vivid portraits of the city. “I first read ‘Thirty-two Rats from Casablanca’ on the recommendation of a friend, a film critic from Texas. I’d never read any Joseph Mitchell at all,” Anderson said. “He wrote about the rats of New York, and people’s tales about rats, and where you find them, and how they move, and their habits. And it’s a story about the city, not about wildlife particularly.”

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Babylon 5 reboot, the CW & JMS. Not sure what to think or how to feel.

Wow, yeah, IDK.

I was a huge fan of the original series, Straczynski did great stuff before and after. The CGI was cutting edge for the time, especially for a non-Trek Sci-fi show (Amigas were used early on, later, Mac/Alpha/Pentium machines). Had an amazing group of writers contributing: Peter David, Neil Gaiman, Kathryn M. Drennan, Lawrence G. DiTillio, D. C. Fontana, David Gerrold - and Harlan Ellison, was a creative consultant.

A great story arc, though the frequent threats of cancellation caused some abrupt transitions between seasons - budgetary constraints started forcing plot changes - there were a lot of logistics, outside of the control of the creative team that had a negative impact.

TV production quality has escalated so much over the last decade, I think it could certainly look better - and some of the actors were pretty mediocre - however, Mira Furlan was amazing as Delenn (she passed away just this year in January), Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik were both outstanding (played ambassadors to Babylon 5).

I'd like to see a revised, X year arc completely planned, budgeted, a known beginning/middle/end to production.

Yeah, maybe?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I'd like to see a revised, X year arc completely planned, budgeted, a known beginning/middle/end to production.

That is the key. JMS was always being yanked around by PTEN and TNT as to whether the show was going to be renewed. Give him a firm commitment.

B5 is the jewel in JMS's crown, so yes, I'd watch a remake, especially one with him in charge. Heck, they don't even have to reboot the series. There was little wrong with the acting and writing in the original. It they just wanted to give it the ST:TOS treatment and re-broadcast it with all-new special effects footage, I'd easily settle for that. Thanks for the heads up, @Pumbaa!

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
And of course on October 8 (in the US) we will finally, finally, finally get to see Daniel Craig's long-delayed swan song as 007.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5de68156c283810006a3879a%2FDaniel-Craig-as-James-Bond-in--No-Time-to-Die-%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

Check out the bottom of that poster. Look at when it was originally scheduled to come out.

Top Bottom
1 2