Weather

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Hail fellow, well played. "Spring?" the sky said, "You asked for Spring? Screw you, I will show you 'Spring'."

This is the kind of cold we are known for. Winter is just the ordinary tight cold you deal with. This is the deep cold, that climbs into everything and refuses to leave, sapping us all of our last ounce of resistance.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Since June we (East Texas) have been running mid 90s to low 100sF (32-40C) with with hear indexes about 110F, lows of 85F (29C) at night. A high pressure dome of heat parked over the Central US bringing no rain (at least to Texas) for several weeks and high temps. Comparing F to C. I prefer the spread of F over C, but consider I grew up with F. A recent trip to Corpus Christi we saw large large fields of immature brown corn.
An alarming report is that the Oceans are turning green (more plant matter growing) due to the rise of temps, sharks are reported as dying. Another report said that El Niño usually causes a reduction of Atlantic hurricane activity, but with oceans heating up, that may change. I never thought I would be living in such a transitional period for the Earth. We have been warned for 40 years, yet as a species, we just blunder along until we are smacked upside the head.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Since June we (East Texas) have been running mid 90s to low 100sF (32-40C) with with hear indexes about 110F, lows of 85F (29C) at night. A high pressure dome of heat parked over the Central US bringing no rain (at least to Texas) for several weeks and high temps. Comparing F to C. I prefer the spread of F over C, but consider I grew up with F. A recent trip to Corpus Christi we saw large large fields of immature brown corn.
An alarming report is that the Oceans are turning green (more plant matter growing) due to the rise of temps, sharks are reported as dying. Another report said that El Niño usually causes a reduction of Atlantic hurricane activity, but with oceans heating up, that may change. I never thought I would be living in such a transitional period for the Earth. We have been warned for 40 years, yet as a species, we just blunder along until we are smacked upside the head.
Some of us plotted along, some chose to refuse to believe this because the term that was used 30 years ago was "Global warming", and during the bad winters they would then mock those warning us, "I could use some of that global warming now." A few, have been screaming at the top of their lungs that this was coming. Question is, can it be slowed down now?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Did not see the earthquake tropical storm crossover coming.

Neither did the offspring.

The hurricane didn't worry her since she went through several when she was in Savannah. The quake on the other hand.....

Made worse when her cat sensed it fraction of a second before she did and sprang from her lap leaving a few punctures in her leg. :oops:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
IIRC, hot weather was said to be associated with earthquakes in SoCal, as in “shake and bake.” There was nothing to it scientifically, though.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We had the perfect chance for a drenching (in Houston) , a tropical storm zipped across the Gulf of Mexico, hit Southern Texas and Mexico and kept going West. Normally a storm like this after land fall would vear north and then NE. That’s because of the abominable high has been parked over the central southern US for over a month blocked it as it skirted around it to the South. 😞

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Rain in the desert is weird. It does this every day. Just little pop-up storms or showers. Some hit us, most don’t.

3B34777B-FCD4-4242-B96F-D2517BA3A31E.jpeg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Summer is "monsoon season". Just wait till you have a nice haboob – those are creepy.

A local weather station does what they call the "Monsoon Meter". It's a scale of 0-9 of how intense the next day's monsoons were going to be. We have lived in the 6-7 range most of the summer while the Valley has struggled to even get measurable rain.

We can be blocked from our house in a hard rain. There are multiple arroyo's you have to cross. Most places build culverts. Here they just tell you not to drive though them. 😂

Went though a haboob in June in NM driving out here. Got really intense when it started raining mud.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hurricane Lee, brushing Boston the next few days starting tonight. Expected heavy rains from an already over soaked region and strong gusts, maybe some flooding around the coast. The Cape and the islands are expected to take the brunt of the storm. I spent the morning, removing anything that could be a missile from my yard, and making sure the grill cover is strapped down tight, and I am going to latch the storm door tonight. All things that I didn't do during a really bad nor'easter last winter. I just replaced the bent (but slightly still usable) storm door last weekend from that nor'easter.

The ironic thing is, I also just put up some functional shutters. There was one that I had to take down this morning, because the shutter dog for that shutter was defective. So I am waiting for a replacement, and I didn't want it banging against the window and house all weekend long. Even though they are functional shutters they are up there for atheistic only, because they look 100 times better than the plastic home depot version.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
we got downy to 12 degrees here in portland. only a few inches at most of frozen rain. but it has not gotten above 25 since Saturday. we don't clear roads very well here.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Houston, Texas currently 30F headed to 18F Wed morning. That’s cold for ussss.🥶 God, I have to turn the pool pumps off!!

No! This is when you leave the pump running. We’re also supposed to get down to 19 tomorrow night despite it having been 70 today.

I'm with Alli. Leave the pump running. It is much harder for moving water to freeze. Also, if you can, angle your return jets UP to keep the surface from freezing.

Top Bottom
1 2