What are you doing today?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Well, it is not "milk" exactly, more a marketing thing to suggest something rich and sweet (courtesy crystallised milk sugars).

It's the juxtaposition of the two that's throwing me off, milk though it may barely be.

I think it's the idea of a sweet beer. If I had a list of Things That Should Not Be, it'd be on there.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Now I like a root beer or Coke float as much as the next person, but just straight milk & Pepsi, No.

Hey. Some people like to dip their french fries in mayonnaise.

...you know, I like to think of myself as a pretty open minded person here, but even I think that's pushing the fine line on what should be allowed as part of a functional society.

Root beer floats are pretty damn awesome, though.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score

...you know, I like to think of myself as a pretty open minded person here, but even I think that's pushing the fine line on what should be allowed as part of a functional society.

While I just cannot wrap my mind around root beer although I tried it plenty of times I do recommend to look for an authentic Dutch or Belgian fries place and try their fries with Mayo or frites sauce or whatever they call that at the time, it’s special. I’m probably just used to it growing up so close to both countries but give it a shot.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It's the juxtaposition of the two that's throwing me off, milk though it may barely be.

I think it's the idea of a sweet beer. If I had a list of Things That Should Not Be, it'd be on there.
Perfect in a stout or porter in deepest, darkest, dreariest winter.

For example, around now.

And, as with a good port or sherry, they will - or are, or can be - a superb accompaniment to a platter of rich cheeses (a sharp Cheddar, or an aged Gouda, or a luscious goat's cheese, or - best of all - a really serious blue...)

But, granted, not a thing I would contemplate in summer.

Ah, that dialogue in Pulp Fiction?

And, yes, it is a brilliant dialogue.

A somewhat nihilistic - but incredibly stylish - and quite wonderfully amoral (but entertaining) movie.

However, while Jules was discussing Amsterdam, I feel that I must point out that this particular culinary delight is also available - not just available, but the norm - as well, in Belgium, not least from superb (chipper) trucks serving chips (i.e. French fries) with mayo (and ketchup, too, should that be sought) - and (trust me, I've been to Brussels, wearing a number of different professional hats), the Belgians seriously get French fries.

Indeed, there is an argument to be made that some of the best chips (i.e. French fries) on the entire planet can be found in Belgium.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
While I just cannot wrap my mind around root beer although I tried it plenty of times I do recommend to look for an authentic Dutch or Belgian fries place and try their fries with Mayo or frites sauce or whatever they call that at the time, it’s special. I’m probably just used to it growing up so close to both countries but give it a shot.

You beat me to it, and agreed absolutely: Trust me - this is a treat to be savoured.

Renzatic

Reaction score
However, while Jules was discussing Amsterdam, I feel that I must point out that this particular culinary delight is also available - not just available, but the norm - as well, in Belgium, not least from superb (chipper) trucks serving chips (i.e. French fries) with mayo (and ketchup, too, should that be sought) - and (trust me, I've been to Brussels, wearing a number of different professional hats), the Belgians seriously get French fries.

Maybe mayo has different ingredients in other countries, but...

I do not like mayo. I might actually hate it with the passion of a billion burning suns. Now, I can eat as an ingredient in another dish, so long as the taste is well disguised, and I can sometimes tolerate it if it's doused with a liberal amount of hot sauce (see: Popeye's chicken sauce), but by itself? No. I think it's the Devil's condiment.

And you know what's really weird? If I have a salad with sliced hardboiled eggs in it, I can happily eat that with a vinaigrette.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Maybe mayo has different ingredients in other countries, but...

I do not like mayo. I might actually hate it with the passion of a billion burning suns. Now, I can eat as an ingredient in another dish, so long as the taste is well disguised, and I can sometimes tolerate it if it's doused with a liberal amount of hot sauce (see: Popeye's chicken sauce), but by itself? No. I think it's the Devil's condiment.

And you know what's really weird? If I have a salad with sliced hardboiled eggs in it, I can happily eat that with a vinaigrette.

The Belgian version is slightly tart, if memory serves.

However - while I am quite partial to mayo with potatoes (fried potatoes, roast potatoes, classic French fries, or, indeed, potato salad - and egg mayonaise is a classic for a very good reason) - have you ever tried to make your own, the classic, seriously classic, aioli, i.e. garlic mayo?

Superb.

This is prepared with garlic (crushed, minced, grated), egg yolk (I use organic, free range eggs - this is one dish where the provenance of the egg really matters), and olive oil. Perhaps some salt.

That's it, although some variants or versions allow for the addition of lemon juice and perhaps - other flavours (herbs, spices).

And that, with roast potatoes, French fries, - indeed, with anything - steak, crab meat, .....poached chicken....fish, oh, yes, fish.....anyway, I don't make it often, but always regret not preparing it more often when I do treat myself.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
And mayo is a necessary component - or ingredient - of Marie Rose sauce. (my recipe includes Ketchup, mayo, lemon juice, Worcestshire sauce, a dash of Tabasco, salt, pepper, smoked, sweet paprika)

Now, as for mayo seasoned with a little sriracha......sigh.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not really a big fan of beer either. A light Pilsner is about my limit - think Corona Extra. With a lime.

I'm not a big fan of beer either. But when I do have one, we're polar opposites. I want a good stout.

When I'm in a social situation, if I get an alcoholic drink, it's usually a hard cider. At home, I don't bother. I've never really cared a lot for the taste of alcohol. Regardless of if it's beer, wine or liquor. I still have a Guinness sitting around from a 6-pack I got for my birthday like 5 years ago. I also don't like coffee or tea. What can I say? 🤷‍♂️

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
On a serious note, is a three page CV too long?
One page, preferably.

Two max - unless, as @Alli has already observed - you are a prolific and/or published writer with many publications that you need to list.
Unless you are a prolific writer with many publications, it’s way too long.

I'm not a big fan of beer either. But when I do have one, we're polar opposites. I want a good stout.

When I'm in a social situation, if I get an alcoholic drink, it's usually a hard cider. At home, I don't bother. I've never really cared a lot for the taste of alcohol. Regardless of if it's beer, wine or liquor. I still have a Guinness sitting around from a 6-pack I got for my birthday like 5 years ago. I also don't like coffee or tea. What can I say? 🤷‍♂️
Guinness is one of the very, very, few beers brewed outside of Germany that passes - i.e. meets the requirements of - the German Beer Purity Law of 1516 (nothing unnatural allowed: Beer should only be made from barley, hops, water - an amendment allowing for the use of yeast was added later).

Anyway, a few decades ago, the Germans tried to use these quality control arguments - deriving from the Beer Purity Law of 1516 - to exclude other beers from the German market (attempting to argue that it was quality control, protecting German consumers, not mere, crude nationalism, that led to them seeking to exclude such foreign beers from the German domestic market) when challenged under European Community law (the European Community preceded the EU - European Union), in other words, commercial, trade & free market access law allowing products access to foreign (i.e. EU, and earlier, EC) markets.

However, even under those criteria, Guinness - which - as it happened, did meet the requirements of the 1516 Beer Purity Laws - had (therefore) to be freely admitted to German markets.

Having argued under the criteria of the Beer Purity Law of 1516 to exclude beers that failed to meet these criteria, the German authorities couldn't very well then turn around and say, "well, we don't want to allow any foreign beers in German pubs" - that wouldn't work, not legally, not under EU law, nor was it credible given the legal arguments which they had advanced in the European Court - and thus, until the European Court decided on the case (which took years), any beer which met these criteria (as Guinness did), could legally be sold in German pubs.

The point is, that beers that meet the stringent requirements of the German Beer Purity Laws of 1516 do not have additives or preservatives. They are prohibited from using them.

Thus, while I will happily imbibe a Belgian beer that has been sitting in my er - cellar - (okay, cellar come wash room) for several years, I will not touch a Guinness (unless it is one of the legendary "Foreign Extra" - and high alcohol - versions designed for the African, high temperature market) that is more than a few months old.

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Thus, while I will happily imbibe a Belgian beer that has been sitting in my er - cellar - (okay, cellar come wash room) for several years, I will not touch a Guinness (unless it is one of the legendary "Foreign Extra" - and high alcohol - versions designed for the African, high temperature market) that is more than a few months old.

It's long past the point of me opening it up! I wouldn't drink it at this point. I'd just buy another if the urge strikes. Still, that was a fascinating story. Somewhere recently, I learned that Guinness has a 9,000 year lease on the property they're on. I forgot where I saw it, but the original lease is under glass in their visitor center or something. So people can check it out.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It's long past the point of me opening it up! I wouldn't drink it at this point. I'd just buy another if the urge strikes. Still, that was a fascinating story. Somewhere recently, I learned that Guinness has a 9,000 year lease on the property they're on. I forgot where I saw it, but the original lease is under glass in their visitor center or something. So people can check it out.

Hm: 900 (years), is, I think, a more likely legal device, must investigate this.

And yes, even then, the Germans did not win that argument (re market access for beers) as the European Court (citing EU law which derived its authority from the EU Treaties) was extraordinarily sensitive to nationalistic arguments designed to protect access to domestic markets even if couched in pious and spurious terms of protecting standards for domestic markets and consumers.

Last edited:

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Had a blast playing drums with my cover band yesterday. Unfortunately there isn’t much time to practice drumming but it’s still so much fun when I get the chance.

Top Bottom
1 2