What are you doing today?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
She is 91 and still trucking along. Her hearing is shot, not surprisingly (city living and teaching children have taken their toll), but she lives upstairs from her friend, in a quasi-duplex, and goes up and down the stairs about every day (got to do the gardening). No sign of any mental problems, because she is busy taking care of herself and the plants.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Odd that this thread popped back up on my radar when I actually have major news for the day. Today I took the day off because my wife's son is coming home.

The reason it's exciting is around Christmas, he got the flu. But he didn't bother going to the doctor. On January 2nd, he finally went to the a doctor and they told him to go to the ER. The ER said he had the flu and it had turned into pneumonia and admitted him. The next day, they transferred him to a different hospital in town and stuck him on a ventilator, a dialysis machine and an ECMO machine (it's removes the CO2 from the blood and replaces it with O2). Then he finally died for a while. About 15 minutes as I recall. Fortunately they were able to fix that. Then he was in the ICU for 2-3 months. A few weeks ago he finally left the hospital and went to a skilled nursing facility. Now his 20 days are up there, but he still has a big bed sore wound and he's still not really back on his feet. The plan was to stick him in the next level down from a skilled nursing facility for physical therapy, but due to his wound and wound vac, the next level of rehab won't take him. So he's finally coming home.

It seems at this point he'll have a nurse come in 2-3 times per week to deal with his wound and to help with physical therapy. It's my understanding that once his wound is better, he'll then qualify to go back into the system and be placed in a rehab center where they can concentrate on getting him up and moving again. Hard to say if he'll actually go to a rehab place or not. I know he's anxious to be back home. And it would be just like him to pick comfort over his own well being. He's one of those people that makes decisions without thinking through the consequences and then goes full steam ahead until he hits a brick wall. He's not big on examining his options up front. He's more a doer than a thinker. I could write a book on the dumbass stuff he does.

He probably would have gotten better care, but while he works for Nike and Nike offers fantastic insurance, he didn't sign up (again, he tends to make stupid, irrational choices in life). He was extremely fortunate that OHP (Oregon Health Plan aka Medicaid) decided to cover him. But while OHP is better than being uninsured, it still isn't as good as "normal" insurance, so now he's stuck in limbo since no one will accept him in his current condition and with his insurance.

So anyway, he returns home today. And we have to find a way to move a grown man (he's in his '30s) from the car up 5 steps to the living room. From there's it's another 6 steps up to where the kitchen is. Finally just 5 more steps up to the level where his bedroom is. I expect that to be an ordeal. I suggested we stick him on a hand-truck. It would take minutes to get him to his bed, but his mom shot down that idea for some reason. šŸ˜‚ I have no clue why we don't have a wheelchair to get him in the house. He'll have to made do with a walker and frequent breaks I guess since he's not climbed a step in 6 months.

On the plus side, he's actually made incredible progress. He's been a success story from start to finish. It seems most people who need an ECMO machine don't typically survive and of those who do, they typically face more serious issues (like losing limbs). That machine was the reason he was originally moved from Hospital A (Providence St. Vincent's) to Hospital B (Legacy Emmanuel) on day 2. Hospital A didn't have the equipment or staff to run it and they're one of the bigger hospitals in town. He managed to come through that intact. His biggest ongoing issue is that it's possible he might need to be on oxygen the rest of his life. There was a lot of damage to his lungs. It's one of those "wait and see" situations. Regardless, he's come quite a long way from being dead, so it's a joyous day.
I hope things work out without the lifetime O2.

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I hope thing work out without the lifetime O2.

There was actually a bit of a panic last night. There were supposed to deliver an O2 compressor for the home, but there was some issue. Then his oxygen tank ran out. So we had to drive out to the care place and pick up a loaner till his shows up. It seems he was fine until we were about 3 minutes away from the house, then he started having a hard time breathing. That causes him to freak out which of course makes the situation worse.

Beyond that it's actually gone pretty great. As long as there's a railing, he seems to be able to get himself up and down stairs. Very slowly and it's not pretty. It also wears him out I think. But he was stronger than we were expecting. He's stronger than he expected I think. He thought the car ride would wear him out, but he did just fine. Due to his insurance issues, the place that had taken him is like an hour away, but he handled it like a champ.

He has a long way to go physically. Mentally, I think coming home and having his whole family here to greet him did wonders.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Having to pay an exterminator, we have two of these paper wasp nests in our eaves about 20' up. They keep chasing us out of our newly finished backyard, bastards.

DSC05203_web.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Having to pay an exterminator, we have two of these paper wasp nests in our eaves about 20' up. They keep chasing us out of our newly finished backyard, bastards.

View attachment 24904
We had an exterminator come up and take out both nests, they started to gather again in the same place and I hit them with the wasp spray this morning and took out another 20 or 30. I just don't know what I can do to stop them, they're relentless and have pretty much hijacked our backyard. Frustrating.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Iā€™m spending the day in my recliner. I feel like crap. Went to the doc yesterday, who agreed that I had a bad cough, but my lungs sounded clear and my throat wasnā€™t inflamed. Oh yea, took a Covid test the day before, which came out negative. Only symptom Iā€™ve got is a hack that gets worse when I lie down.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Iā€™m spending the day in my recliner. I feel like crap. Went to the doc yesterday, who agreed that I had a bad cough, but my lungs sounded clear and my throat wasnā€™t inflamed. Oh yea, took a Covid test the day before, which came out negative. Only symptom Iā€™ve got is a hack that gets worse when I lie down.
Sorry to hear that, wonder if it could be something simple like a case of bronchitis. If so usually a Z-Pack will clear it right up.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We had an exterminator come up and take out both nests, they started to gather again in the same place and I hit them with the wasp spray this morning and took out another 20 or 30. I just don't know what I can do to stop them, they're relentless and have pretty much hijacked our backyard. Frustrating.
I was musing on this. The location is sheltered and out of public view (you have to look for it). If there was a way to negate the overhang, like tack up some fine wire mesh to make those secure cubbies inaccessible (at a moderate angle to the wall, with well-sealed edges), the critters would have to find a nice dead tree somewhere else to nest in.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I was musing on this. The location is sheltered and out of public view (you have to look for it). If there was a way to negate the overhang, like tack up some fine wire mesh to make those secure cubbies inaccessible (at a moderate angle to the wall, with well-sealed edges), the critters would have to find a nice dead tree somewhere else to nest in.
Yeah it's a good idea, it's just so high up that we would have to hire people to install it. The exterminator came back today and treated it with something that will stick to any of them coming back and hopefully kill them off, we'll have to see how it goes.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sitting in a giant cabana at Great America of all places, watching people in the tide pool making themselves into human soup. (Law firm family event).

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
went on a 20 mile ride and going one direction we get guys stripping a car on the bike path coming back same location two mopeds.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am currently sitting at the Pensacola airport, waiting on my flight to Atlanta, and then on to Chicago. Iā€™m heading to GsU, otherwise known as Gun Sense University, the annual meeting for Moms Demand Action for gun sense in America.

I will be doing two presentations on Networking. (Big whoop.) Iā€™m going to try to find out whoā€™s in charge of their ā€œtrainingā€ so I can get them to do something other than straight lectures. Long story, but Iā€™ll spare you chapter and verse.

The exciting part is, tomorrow we will have a special guest speaker to open the plenary session - Vice President Kamala Harris. The security is really messing with our schedule (two hours to get into the place, and we canā€™t come directly from the inside of the conference center!), but it should be worth it. Iā€™ll let you know,

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Got my first check from Meta (FB) for "creating engaging content", in other words they're giving me a bonus based on activity on my FB page with over 148K followers. Nice change of pace to be getting something back for a change. I got the offer a while back and signed up not knowing for sure how it would work out but the payout is actually pretty decent.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Got my first check from Meta (FB) for "creating engaging content", in other words they're giving me a bonus based on activity on my FB page with over 148K followers. Nice change of pace to be getting something back for a change. I got the offer a while back and signed up not knowing for sure how it would work out but the payout is actually pretty decent.

Beer money, car payment, or something more? I am glad it is working out, and always have been curious how people who are influencers and content creators make a living doing just that.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Beer money, car payment, or something more?
I drive a Tesla so we'll need to quantify that one ;) Let's just say it's enough to buy everyone on this site a couple of rounds of beer. If I step it up maybe I can work towards the car payment.

If you haven't, stop by and join the fun (and line my pockets)...

Top Bottom
1 2