What have you made recently?

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Here’s what I just finished: a cedar pergola for our back patio. It is easily my biggest project and turned out almost as well as I hoped. Some of the compound miter cuts were a bit difficult for my skills and tools, but I did the best I could and am super proud of the results.

Attachments

• A232E0C5-7DED-4EBA-A3D8-B2479FB81C9B.jpeg
    A232E0C5-7DED-4EBA-A3D8-B2479FB81C9B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 2C1CB798-8B8A-4D5C-83C4-83C3E0B5AFB4.jpeg
    2C1CB798-8B8A-4D5C-83C4-83C3E0B5AFB4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 57EABA64-C661-4A66-B1DB-8FB70C6BE983.jpeg
    57EABA64-C661-4A66-B1DB-8FB70C6BE983.jpeg
    889.3 KB · Views: 53

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Very nice. You should be.

Did you have plans or just come up with it in your head?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Thanks. I came up with the design myself and drew it up in SketchUp to determine the angles and lengths and such. As I mentioned, I made it a little more difficult on myself than I probably should have, but I guess thats how you learn.
Every project you do will give you more confidence for the next one. Don't stop. It is liberating to learn to do things like this. :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Here’s what I just finished: a cedar pergola for our back patio. It is easily my biggest project and turned out almost as well as I hoped. Some of the compound miter cuts were a bit difficult for my skills and tools, but I did the best I could and am super proud of the results.
Wow, excellent work. Definitely exceeds my skills, we had to pay a lot of money to have a prefab porch cover installed. It's really nice but not real wood.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have a pile of always started, never finished creations. This thread might inspire me to finish at least one of them. ;)
Same here, I've taken up drawing as I get time in the evenings and weekends and it's been a lot of fun. Nothing to share though, very amateurish but maybe when I get a little better.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same here, I've taken up drawing as I get time in the evenings and weekends and it's been a lot of fun. Nothing to share though, very amateurish but maybe when I get a little better.

I have some things that fall in the "sick beats" department. Making sick beats is the easy part. Making music around those sick beats that you actually want to share is the harder part.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have some things that fall in the "sick beats" department. Making sick beats is the easy part. Making music around those sick beats that you actually want to share is the harder part.
Looks like a fun toy, I know this stuff is the future but I'm also saddened by stuff like this, where they user can basically type in a sequence and then get a perfect arpeggio:

In real life on an instrument something like that can take years to learn and master, stuff like this makes it feel dumbed down. That's just the musician in me talking though, understanding there is a place for both is important too.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a fun toy, I know this stuff is the future but I'm also saddened by stuff like this, where they user can basically type in a sequence and then get a perfect arpeggio:

In real life on an instrument something like that can take years to learn and master, stuff like this makes it feel dumbed down. That's just the musician in me talking though, understanding there is a place for both is important too.

We probably shouldn’t derail this thread much further, but

Complete epic scoring passages for every instrument in an orchestra just by playing chords. Throw a scale plugin in the chain in you’ll never hit a chord that is out of key. Your dog could score the next Batman movie with this.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We probably shouldn’t derail this thread much further, but

Complete epic scoring passages for every instrument in an orchestra just by playing chords. Throw a scale plugin in the chain in you’ll never hit a chord that is out of key. Your dog could score the next Batman movie with this.

And take any and all humanity out of it. Perfectly sequenced and quantized music without zero soul, but it's danceable I guess.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought fresh resin. I haven’t done much crafting since I went back to school, but since I’m so close to done now it’s a good time to start again.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_4582.jpeg

I committed to the 10 minutes it took to pickle jalapeños from my jalapeño tree. I lost all track of time. Is Biden still President? Have we reinvaded Afghanistan? Has OJ found the real fraudulent voters yet?

I mainly did it because my jalapeño tree is small, but mighty. No matter how many I eat there are always 20 - 30 more waiting to be consumed within a week. The threat of getting pickled is both real and a spoilage saver.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought fresh resin. I haven’t done much crafting since I went back to school, but since I’m so close to done now it’s a good time to start again.

I don't know what your resin plans are but this has been on my resin radar for quite sometime.

I've made quite a few miniature nature scene models but haven't gotten to the resin water stage yet.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
View attachment 8843

I committed to the 10 minutes it took to pickle jalapeños from my jalapeño tree. I lost all track of time. Is Biden still President? Have we reinvaded Afghanistan? Has OJ found the real fraudulent voters yet?

I mainly did it because my jalapeño tree is small, but mighty. No matter how many I eat there are always 20 - 30 more waiting to be consumed within a week. The threat of getting pickled is both real and a spoilage saver.
Oh, man. I need a jalepeño tree. They look delicious!

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I make photographs...... Usually every day I post one in the monthly photo-of-the-day thread. That's the limit of any creativity I might have!

View attachment 8824
I *wish* I was good at photography. As a graphic designer, I feel like I *should* be good at photography, but I'm just plain not. I mean, I can properly frame a photo and produce a competent image, but I don't approach that final 10-20% that makes a person a real live photographer.

Top Bottom
1 2