What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
4644F27F-22CD-4CB1-A168-43348D6EDC1F.jpeg

Eternals (2021)- I got interested when I learned the real agenda, but then got bored again. Some characters in this I liked, especially Kumail Nanjiani and Gemma Chan, but it was to long as compared to the entertainment quotient, and I did not like the approach to telling the story. One my areas of interest in this are the difference between Celestials and Eternals. For example Thanos is an Eternal and Ego is a Celestial.

BFF791C5-6DAC-4A2F-AD80-DF83C2035EF7.jpeg

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021)- Kinda of a crappy story, but good if you like gutter Marvel and Venom. I liked the humor element. This did a better job of keeping me awake than Eternals. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Spider-Man 3 (2007)- The last of a great trilogy, the best Spider-Man trilogy, Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson, Aunt May, New Goblin, Sandman, Venom, an outstanding non-funny Venom.

0E71A614-D7F3-4C2D-997F-F06519140720.jpeg

4FE5B36C-D8B2-451B-A98C-791CAD79E891.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings (2021)- Good story, outstanding martial arts in the Multi-verse. (y)(y)(y)

Direct tie-in to Dr Strange and The Multiverse of Madness.

199D1DF8-D0B1-4BA3-A3C5-E3EC9C732EE0.jpeg

9E9CE773-57E3-4E80-A5EA-85D81985FD24.jpeg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings (2021)- Good story, outstanding martial arts in the Multi-verse. (y)(y)(y)

Direct tie-in to Dr Strange and The Multiverse of Madness.

I really liked this too

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I saw “Daredevil” (2003) for the first time the other day. I expected not to like it, because I never did buy the whole “heightened senses” premise of the character. I totally buy into their reality, just not that they’d enable you to jump off buildings and such.

To my surprise it was entertaining in spite of itself. I still think that whole sonar-sight explanation is a little far-fetched. But the movie had a likable story which didn’t involve the Fate of the Entire Universe.

A few too many echoes of Spider-Man (leaping from buildings and lampposts) and Batman (his raison d’etre), but Michael Clarke Duncan is all manner of cocky bad-assery as Kingpin. And it had a cameo by the actor who played a memorable role, Mr. Cicero, Jerome Valeska’s blind dad, in Gotham.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
These days if you close your eyes and throw a dart at the entertainment dart board you’re going to hit a stinker. Oh, who am I kidding, it’s always been that way…

Black Summer (2019-) Another zombie series. This might not have been a stinker, but I’m still OD’d on Walking Dead.
Sweet Girl (2021)- vengeance story, just go with it, but it broke my suspension of disbelief.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw “Daredevil” (2003) for the first time the other day. I expected not to like it, because I never did buy the whole “heightened senses” premise of the character. I totally buy into their reality, just not that they’d enable you to jump off buildings and such.

To my surprise it was entertaining in spite of itself. I still think that whole sonar-sight explanation is a little far-fetched. But the movie had a likable story which didn’t involve the Fate of the Entire Universe.

A few too many echoes of Spider-Man (leaping from buildings and lampposts) and Batman (his raison d’etre), but Michael Clarke Duncan is all manner of cocky bad-assery as Kingpin. And it had a cameo by the actor who played a memorable role, Mr. Cicero, Jerome Valeska’s blind dad, in Gotham.
I loved Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Punisher, and Iron Fist (Marvel TV on Netflix). Marvel was on a roll on this Network until Disney pulled the plug.

Edit: My mistake, you were referencing the Ben Affleck movie and this is the movie thread. 😶‍🌫️ I think the Marvel series is better.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We watched The King’sman since it’s available on Hulu. It was a big disappointment after the first two movies. Very little humor, no special anything beyond the sword carried by the bad guy with a gun in the handle. Meh.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Black Summer (2019-) Another zombie series. This might not have been a stinker, but I’m still OD’d on Walking Dead.

Black Summer is excellent, it's very visceral, it's just at the beginning of the outbreak, things happen fast (including insta-turn zombification), character come and go in the blink of an eye, it's the kind of chaos I'd expect.

A few quotes from various reviews I think do a good job of capturing the vibe:

Also airing and arriving this weekend – Black Summer (streams on Netflix) is back for a terrifying second season. The first batch was one of last year’s fine masterpieces of the horror/zombie-apocalypse genre. Don’t be gulled by “zombie apocalypse.” This ain’t The Walking Dead or any of its spinoffs. It’s formally brilliant, politically loaded, terse and mind-blowing. Stephen King took to Twitter to call it “Existential hell in the suburbs, stripped to the bone.”

Black Summer is back, baby, and much like its harrowing, adrenaline-filled first season, it's still chock full of white-knuckle, bare-bones undead terror. In an era where The Walking Dead is unsteadily pushing past its 10th season, Black Summer has stealthily kept zombie TV ferociously fresh. It's no-frills, immersive fear, and anxiety. Minimalist without losing any spectacle. Impressive in both its fury and its quiet.

Without question, in an oversaturated market, Black Summer is currently one of the best zombie entries across media in season 2 here, and a picture of what The Walking Dead has lost over the years, and something it can probably never reach, given the formula it’s now locked into.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Might be time to watch French Dispatch, I've been waiting for that to turn up as an online streaming option. Noticed it's now on HBO Max, so my weekend plans are starting to shape up.

Viewer-level reviews of this film could well be a mixed bag, which may or may not be surprising for a Wes Anderson movie, but unless you are familiar with The New Yorker magazine ( the pre- Tina Brown and pre- David Remnick version, the one of days long gone), you could do worse than have an orientation meeting first, via one of the professional critics.

If you dislike the idea of reading a critic's review first (but it's hard to spoil any Wes Anderson movie... you can usually watch one of them twice and see 2 different flicks), here's the official trailer.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Quote eager to see The French Dispatch but wary of the glowing critics reviews because it seems a similar situation to The Darjeeling Limited reviews. I like that film but I wouldn’t put it in the Wes Anderson top 3 but it’s often spoken of as his best.

Edit: I was tired last night. I didn’t mean Darjeeling Limited, I meant The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We watched The King’sman since it’s available on Hulu.

There's some good movies on Hulu right now, I put a bunch in our queue (we've seen these before but worth a rewatch):

Whiplash
Arctic
Glory
The Sisters Brothers
Leave No Trace

And as always, some fun horror movies, watched The Deep House the other night, a pretty straight forward haunted house tale, but it takes place almost entirely underwater, gives it a completely different and spooky vibe. Also notable that it's written and directed by Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo, french filmmakers who've done some excellent horror like Inside, and probably the best of the non-original series / possible best sequel in general, Texas Chainsaw entries the 2017 Leatherface.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Brining this over here from a political thread :)

Yes, it was one of the most godawful superhero movies ever released and has been the butt of jokes ever since it was released.

That was a reference to this movie:

7740-5ab302ec6ba883e46760121828e2e5d4.jpg

Ugh, yeah, it's bad for MANY reasons, but I read something pretty funny the other day (in a discussion about the new Batman movie ...), the person posited that if you took Poison Ivy (Uma Thurman's character) from Batman and Robin - and in Batman Forever, replaced TLJ's Two-Face character (who was a horrific Riddler/Joker knockoff ...), the result would be a MUCH better movie.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, Westside Story, the new Spielberg film is available on D+. Will queue that up for the weekend :)

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I caught "Arrival" (2016) on Hulu the other day and liked it. It's an intelligent sci-fi film, though there are a few gaps in logic re how fast Amy Adams picked up the aliens' language.

The next day I was watching Morning Joe and noticed how the stylized O in their logo looks a little like the aliens' writing. 😁

Brining this over here from a political thread :)

That was a reference to this movie:

7740-5ab302ec6ba883e46760121828e2e5d4.jpg

Ugh, yeah, it's bad for MANY reasons, but I read something pretty funny the other day (in a discussion about the new Batman movie ...), the person posited that if you took Poison Ivy (Uma Thurman's character) from Batman and Robin - and in Batman Forever, replaced TLJ's Two-Face character (who was a horrific Riddler/Joker knockoff ...), the result would be a MUCH better movie.
I love the story about how Tommy Lee Jones hated working with Jim Carrey because he thought Carrey was way overplaying the role. It was still a better movie than "Batman and Robin", which reached heights of ridiculousness that made Adam West's version look like Robert Pattinson by comparison.

That scene where the Dynamic Duo, shot into the stratosphere in a rocket, blow off the doors and surf back down to the Earth's surface? I wish I could wipe the memory of that from my mind. 😖

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I caught "Arrival" (2016) on Hulu the other day and liked it. It's an intelligent sci-fi film, though there are a few gaps in logic re how fast Amy Adams picked up the aliens' language.

Because she already knew it, silly. :D

Arrival is a masterful bit of science fiction, Denis Villeneuve can mostly do no wrong, and the source is pretty terrific (Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang), but the movie, holy hell, it gets me every time, it really strikes a chord with me, and when Max Richter's "On the Nature of Daylight" starts playing, that's it, I'm done.😭

I love the story about how Tommy Lee Jones hated working with Jim Carrey because he thought Carrey was way overplaying the role. It was still a better movie than "Batman and Robin", which reached heights of ridiculousness that made Adam West's version look like Robert Pattinson by comparison.

That scene where the Dynamic Duo, shot into the stratosphere in a rocket, blow off the doors and surf back down to the Earth's surface? I wish I could wipe the memory of that from my mind. 😖

Hahaha, holy hell, bold = really?

I don't even remember that, I guess I was able to actually purge it :D I'm pretty sure I saw Batman and Robin only one time, I think I saw Batman Forever twice, originally way back when, and I fired it up after I watched the Val Kilmer doc (in the background, at my desk, while I was working ...)

Top Bottom
1 2