What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Project Power (2020 Netflix)- 57% RTAS. This movie should be better. A gene altering drug/substance gives people special powers for 5 minutes and is being sold on the street. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jamie Fox.

91F866A4-92B8-463A-9ED7-F4F09D550527.jpeg
I requested that thumbnail image displays be enlarged. If you agree please chime in here:

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Project Power (2020 Netflix)- 57% RTAS. This movie should be better. A gene altering drug/substance gives people special powers for 5 minutes and is being sold on the street. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jamie Fox.

Great cast. What was wrong with it?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Great cast. What was wrong with it?
Hard to put my finger on, it seems like it should be good with excellent production values and acting, but it’s missing cohesiveness or a necessary vibe to pull me in. The story starts with a what the heck angle that eventually explains itself. I suggest watching it if you like super hero type stories, and let me know what you think.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hard to put my finger on, it seems like it should be good with excellent production values and acting, but it’s missing cohesiveness or a necessary vibe to pull me in. The story starts with a what the heck angle that eventually explains itself. I suggest watching it if you like super hero type stories, and let me know what you think.

Same. Great cast, fun premise (reminded me of Strikeforce: Morituri), some fun bits, but just didn't engage me like it should have.

C+

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
It has promise. The problem is that after The Dark Knight, every Batman since has shown this overwhelming need to out-edgy-gritty it, and ends up failing because they tried way too hard.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I am DIGGING on this ...

I momentarily posted this, not expecting to see it in a thread about what you are watching. 😁 It has yet to come out.

That said, I had to watch it about three times because it's so weird...starting with that sound effect that made me think my stream had screwed up.

There's stuff I definitely like there. That Batmobile. The graphic that ends it. And yes, "I'm vengeance." :cool:

Gonna be a pretty dark movie. In both senses of the word.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It has promise. The problem is that after The Dark Knight, every Batman since has shown this overwhelming need to out-edgy-gritty it, and ends up failing because they tried way too hard.

The thing I like about this, is it's not necessarily more dark edgelord grimmtastic (vs. the Nolan trilogy), it's just more "grounded". Nolan Batman is James Bond, he has transforming Bat-tanks, C130 aircraft, a device that tracks the position / can hear, every human being in a large city - and of course the DC BvS/JL Batman fights cosmic elder gods ...

This is the detective Batman, who modified an old musclecar for his Batmobile.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I momentarily posted this, not expecting to see it in a thread about what you are watching. 😁 It has yet to come out.

Ha! Yeah, I was going to make a separate "coming attractions", but they're so few-and-far-between, figured I'd just drop it here.

Renzatic

Reaction score
This is the detective Batman, who modified an old musclecar for his Batmobile.

This is why I think it has promise, but it also has the potential to be edgelordy. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm gonna wait for the reviews before I commit.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Goddammit, I want to, but won't. Would've paid $25-30 to watch it at home.
Is that what they expect to get for home viewing of new movies? I think the price is unreasonably high and with the theaters out of the picture, represents a windfall. :oops:
Maybe they will get a shock and adjust prices down accordingly. Before the crisis, we typically paid $14 to see a movie at the theater. At home I’m willing to spend about $7 to rent a movie, and $20 to buy it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Is that what they expect to get for home viewing of new movies? I think the price is unreasonably high and with the theaters out of the picture, represents a windfall. :oops:
Maybe they will get a shock and adjust prices down accordingly. Before the crisis, we typically paid $14 to see a movie at the theater. At home I’m willing to spend about $7 to rent a movie, and $20 to buy it.

Average ticket price is over $9, and in many places way more (some of that average is low cost 5th - 8th week matinee tickets, senior discounts, etc.). Plus some gas, pay parking in large cities, and if you want to score even a couple of sodas, and a mid-sized popcorn, you've got a $30-35 evening for two people.

Sure, if you bring your own snacks, only do the 5:30p discount showing it might seem a little pricey, but it scales nicely too, i.e., 3 people watching? Now it's a decent deal. 4? Now it's a bargain!

Also, even at that price, you get a period of rental, so 24 or 48 hours, so you can even watch it again, for free.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Average ticket price is over $9, and in many places way more (some of that average is low cost 5th - 8th week matinee tickets, senior discounts, etc.). Plus some gas, pay parking in large cities, and if you want to score even a couple of sodas, and a mid-sized popcorn, you've got a $30-35 evening for two people.

But that $35 is what you pay for a night the movies. You're out on the town, you're in the theater, you're with a crowd. At that price, they're asking you to pay for the equivalent of an experience you're not getting.

$35 for a rental is just too much.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
When you stop to consider you could get Disney+ for a month for $6.99 and then watch Hamilton a bazillion times, anything over that for a single use watch is too much.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
But that $35 is what you pay for a night the movies. You're out on the town, you're in the theater, you're with a crowd. At that price, they're asking you to pay for the equivalent of an experience you're not getting.

$35 for a rental is just too much.

$35 is a bit steep, I said, $25-30, but I'm probably capped at around $25. The experience at home - for us - is actually better, since we're alcoholics ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
When you stop to consider you could get Disney+ for a month for $6.99 and then watch Hamilton a bazillion times, anything over that for a single use watch is too much.

Speaking of ...

Got a text last night from Daughter, "Hey, put on What did I miss? I need to practice my Jefferson entry ..."

:ROFLMAO:

Renzatic

Reaction score
$35 is a bit steep, I said, $25-30, but I'm probably capped at around $25. The experience at home - for us - is actually better, since we're alcoholics ...

You're not alcoholics, you're hobbyists. If you were real alcoholics, you'd have found a way to bring your 2 liter flask of Jack and coke into the theater with you, and still have room for a few packs of Kit Kats. :p

Now, to get back on topic, I'd say about $15 for me. I can understand paying more to rent brand new movies, but there comes a point.

Top Bottom
1 2