COVID 19 White House Giving Away Free COVID Tests Again

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just breaking, sounds like they're make them available at a cost of $600 million. Should be available next week covidtest.gov
TBH, I never liked the tests I received from the government as much as Abbott's BinaxNOW, which I find easier to use. It's important to note that while current antigen tests can detect circulating SARS CoV-2 strains, they're probably somewhat less sensitive to these variants, so repeat testing is advisable to ensure that the number of viral copies has risen high enough to register.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
TBH, I never liked the tests I received from the government as much as Abbott's BinaxNOW, which I find easier to use. It's important to note that while current antigen tests can detect circulating SARS CoV-2 strains, they're probably somewhat less sensitive to these variants, so repeat testing is advisable to ensure that the number of viral copies has risen high enough to register.
Not sure which tests they will be sending, I know that Kaiser offers them from different vendors depending on availability and wonder if the Government will do the same.

BTW I applaud this move, it's a sensible thing to do for the American people and knowledge is power when it comes to this.

Here's a link

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not sure which tests they will be sending, I know that Kaiser offers them from different vendors depending on availability and wonder if the Government will do the same.

BTW I applaud this move, it's a sensible thing to do for the American people and knowledge is power when it comes to this.

Here's a link
I agree. Sadly, though, many people will consider it a waste of money because "COVID is over."

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
The rapid tests we have up here are only about 36% effective against the Omicron variants, so a crap shoot if they report a positive result.

It IS making the rounds up here - my team of 15, about 6 of them have had it already. I might have it now (should have started wearing a mask on the train and in the grocery store already) :(

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m sure my stash of tests are all expired, so I will be ordering more.

If you haven’t double checked already, I recommend taking a look at the MFG website to see if any of your tests have had their expiration date expired. If you look at tests that use similar technology that are more established, they often last multiple years on the self. The novelty of the COVID tests prevented long term stability testing thus the early tests only had a shelf life of 3 months (but were extended many times over).

Provided the packaging is in tact and they were not stored in extreme temps, the more likely issue is that newer COVID variants like omicron are not detected as well as earlier variations.

It would be nice to see the tests get updated to meet the current environment… but perhaps the incentive is not yet present for that to happen.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
If you haven’t double checked already, I recommend taking a look at the MFG website to see if any of your tests have had their expiration date expired. If you look at tests that use similar technology that are more established, they often last multiple years on the self. The novelty of the COVID tests prevented long term stability testing thus the early tests only had a shelf life of 3 months (but were extended many times over).

Provided the packaging is in tact and they were not stored in extreme temps, the more likely issue is that newer COVID variants like omicron are not detected as well as earlier variations.

It would be nice to see the tests get updated to meet the current environment… but perhaps the incentive is not yet present for that to happen.
Right, I was able to use one that was expired as well. Here is a complete list you can reference.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well just got the free tests and now I know why the HHS released the extenened expiration lists. These free test are expired, and extended out for another 2 months. I don’t trust the quality of these tests and besides now that recently was Covid positive, I shouldn’t need to test for 90 days.

So my personal experience with these extended experation date test is I had a bunch of Binex 2 antigen tests that expired on 6/26/2023, and my wife was feeling ill. I went to the HHS site and confirmed that the expiration date is now 1/26/2024. Great! Because the local CVS was out of tests. We went through 3 tests in two days while her symptom got worse and worse. We were both shocked to find that she is negative. I finally asked one of our family members to get us a fresh test at another CVS in the area, that I called and found they had about 12 tests. When she took it, the T line popped up in about 60 seconds.

No way will I personally trust any test on the extended expiration date list. I bet there are some midigating factors, like how it is stored in your house. My tests were shoved in a drawer, in the living room. I bet the room got into the mid it late 80s when we were away for vacation for a week this summer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2