WWDC 2021

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I assumed adding macOS to iPads would just make them complain about the same things

If there's one thing I learned during my stint on MR (and a goodly chunk of the rest of the internet), it's that some people think that being constantly critical and derisive is a good substitute for having a personality.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Yeah the 5GB app limit should go, unless it's for stability reasons. Also so I don't have read anymore of the "Real Housewives of MR" whine that Apple promised them 8 - 16GB with an iPad Pro, so what's it for? Waah!

The only thing I really would like is the external monitor support that doesn't just mirror, or depend on the app to do the work.

I guess a less awkward file system would-

Cripes! Now I'm falling down that hole..

D

Deleted member 199

Yeah the 5GB app limit should go, unless it's for stability reasons. Also so I don't have read anymore of the "Real Housewives of MR" whine that Apple promised them 8 - 16GB with an iPad Pro, so what's it for? Waah!

The only thing I really would like is the external monitor support that doesn't just mirror, or depend on the app to do the work.

I guess a less awkward file system would-

Cripes! Now I'm falling down that hole..

You didn’t use the phrases “real pro users” or “toy OS” once. Not even close to the rabbit hole

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
You didn’t use the phrases “real pro users” or “toy OS” once. Not even close to the rabbit hole
tenor.gif

Renzatic

Reaction score

Or the phrase I saw quite a bit during my day "...that's obviously not what people want." I remember it being used as a way to dismiss everything Apple wasn't currently doing at that very moment, from iPhones with bigger screens, to stylus digitizers for the iPad.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Or the phrase I saw quite a bit during my day "...that's obviously not what people want." I remember it being used as a way to dismiss everything Apple wasn't currently doing at that very moment, from iPhones with bigger screens, to stylus digitizers for the iPad.
Both responses are so telling. None of the trolls on MR are “real pro users” nor do they have even the slightest insight into “what people want” at all. Case in point, some poster has about 100 posts complaining that Apple doesn’t put backup batteries into its desktop computers just in case somebody trips over the wire while it’s on. Seriously dude… it‘s NEVER going to happen, no matter how many posts you make about it. He’s pretty insistent that this is something the world wants…. 🤦‍♂️

Renzatic

Reaction score
Both responses are so telling. None of the trolls on MR are “real pro users” nor do they have even the slightest insight into “what people want” at all. Case in point, some poster has about 100 posts complaining that Apple doesn’t put backup batteries into its desktop computers just in case somebody trips over the wire while it’s on. Seriously dude… it‘s NEVER going to happen, no matter how many posts you make about it. He’s pretty insistent that this is something the world wants…. 🤦‍♂️

If he's that worried about it, why not just buy a UPS?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
This thread I think defines what some of the supposed 'pro' users are really.

Some in that thread can't imagine a device can be used differently than they use it, so it must NOT be a Pro level device.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I still bang my head when I have to hear about the iPad being a laptop replacement.

Why would Apple make BOTH Macbook & iPad Pro then?

You buy the device YOU need, and stop bitching about the device you did NOT need doesn't do what you actually wanted.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Some can't imagine a device can be used differently than they use it, so it must NOT be a Pro level device.

You can tap out a novel in Pages using an iPad Mini, and make money off of it. Does that make the Mini a pro level device?

...actually, yeah.

The question isn't "is this device pro or not," rather, it's "is this device good for what I want to use it for." If it is. Great. Go buy one. If it's not, then look elsewhere.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
You can tap out a novel in Pages using an iPad Mini, and make money off of it. Does that make the Mini a pro level device?

...actually, yeah.

The question isn't "is this device pro or not," rather, it's "is this device good for what I want to use it for." If it is. Great. Go buy one. If it's not, then look elsewhere.
I'd go a step further.

There's these articles about these kids in Africa making science fiction films & cartoons using PCs that even the most antagonistic Apple haters wouldn't touch that cost just a few hundred dollars.

The question isn't if the device is pro enough. The question is IF the user is pro enough.

a bad workman always blames his tools
  • (Britain) It is not the tools we use that make us good, but rather how we employ them.
  • (Britain) Upon failure, it's easier to blame the tools used rather than how they were employed.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/a_bad_workman_always_blames_his_tools

Renzatic

Reaction score
I still bang my head when I have to hear about the iPad being a laptop replacement.

To be fair, that line is a lot hazier these days. With the introduction of the M1, the iPad is now, for all intents and purposes, a MacPad. It'll probably get to the point where the only reason why you'd buy one over the other depends upon whether your use case is a better fit for a traditional laptop, or being able to touch and write on the screen.

But given that the iPad has a decent keyboard and trackpad accessory, while the chances of getting a touch screen Mac are about nil, the iPad is actually the more flexible choice.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
To be fair, that line is a lot hazier these days. With the introduction of the M1, the iPad is now, for all intents and purposes, a MacPad. It'll probably get to the point where the only reason why you'd buy one over the other depends upon whether your use case is a better fit for a traditional laptop, or being able to touch and write on the screen.
That's why I keep harping to no success, that it's NOT a replacement, but an alternative.

Renzatic

Reaction score
That's why I keep harping to no success, that it's NOT a replacement, but an alternative.

The way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if we eventually see Apple combine both platforms together, the aforementioned MacPad. By this point, the only reason why you can't use an iPad exactly how you'd use a Macbook is due to OS/software constraints, both of which are slowly disappearing as time goes on.

This isn't something I'd dare say on MR, at risk of being banned for trolling, but if I were to take bets, I'd say the future of both the iPad and Macbook will be something that looks a lot like a Surface Pro X.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If he's that worried about it, why not just buy a UPS?
Oh he explains that with a lengthy rant about the iMac power adapter and how stupid it is... see a UPS cannot protect you if that cable gets yanked out of the back of iMac when it’s on. Seriously, this guy must be using his computer in the middle of a 3-ring circus with the cable near the dancing bear or something.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Oh he explains that with a lengthy rant about the iMac power adapter and how stupid it is... see a UPS cannot protect you if that cable gets yanked out of the back of iMac when it’s on. Seriously, this guy must be using his computer in the middle of a 3-ring circus with the cable near the dancing bear or something.

I bet he just wants to take his iMac to Starbucks.

D

Deleted member 199

Given the essentially identical cpus now it’s really just form factor + ports (and software to some extent I guess) from iPad to (entry level so far) laptops to iMac.

same basic ability, expressed different ways. Choose form factor that works for you.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If there's one thing I learned during my stint on MR (and a goodly chunk of the rest of the internet), it's that some people think that being constantly critical and derisive is a good substitute for having a personality.

It's so easy to be critical, it's hard to defend things in a positive capacity. People that are negative about everything make me laugh, I have no idea how they deal with life.

I always say an iPad (or a Laptop) can provide a solution to X use cases (where they overlap), is advantageous in Y use cases (where a laptop or ipad is a better choice), and a poor choice for Z (where it's not a great selection, and the "other" product is clearly a better choice).

I think of tasks, end results, not devices, the latter is informed by the former.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Given the essentially identical cpus now it’s really just form factor + ports (and software to some extent I guess) from iPad to (entry level so far) laptops to iMac.

same basic ability, expressed different ways. Choose form factor that works for you.
They just need to figure out how to merge the traditional interfaces and the touch interfaces in a good way. And how to get developers to make stuff that work well with it.

So, not anytime soon. :mrgreen:

Top Bottom
1 2