40th Anniversary of Macintosh

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got my first Mac when Exponential Technology went out of business, and they gave away test machines to some of the last remaining employees. (I stayed on to the very end, two months after they stopped paying me. I did eventually get paid though).

I joined Exponential Technology in 1996, just after their first tapeout. I was quickly handed half the chip (by area, at least), because my PhD research had involved exactly the same weird types of circuits that Exponential was using. To this day I recall sitting in my first interview of the day there with Cheryl, who sat cross-legged on her chair which was turned backwards, and she started to draw a couple of circuits and a dashed line between them. I asked her “are you going to ask me about level-shifting?” and she said “yeah, you’re hired. Let’s go meet the rest of the team.” She and I would work together for many more years at AMD, but that’s not a Mac story.

We were aiming for 533 MHz, which, at the time, would have been the highest clock on earth (back when people cared about clocks), but shortly after I got there they got first silicon back and found they were only hitting a clock rate somewhere in the 400’s. I remember we printed out schematics on huge sheets of paper and started trying to figure out what was causing the unexpected critical path, doing the Roth D algorithm to figure out how to propagate the necessary signal transitions to where they needed to go. Turned out the problem was that, in order to reduce power consumption, they wrote a tool called ”Hoover” (before i got there) and used it to automatically reduce drive strengths on various gates. This caused a cross-coupling problem, which I wrote about in the JSSC paper referenced below. This was probably the seed that got me interested in electronic design automation, which became an accidental theme of the rest of my career.

Anyway, we fixed the problem and were getting ready to ship production chips to Apple clone-makers, but we had a problem. To boot the Mac’s OS using our chip, we had to make changes to the BIOS. Steve Jobs came back, and permission to change the BIOS went away (even though Apple was an investor).

Internally, we had working Macs that had been hacked to use our chips. We also had Windows NT running on our chip, and it smoked Mac OS at the time (in terms of speed). There were test rigs (Macs and such) in the mysterious back room of the offices down on Zanker Road In San Jose. One night, Allan and I were working late, and at midnight a fire alarm went off back there. I had to call a manager or two (because nobody was in the office and I didn’t even have the key for back there), so that was fun.

I remember reading this story about the company’s demise in 1999 and discussing with some coworkers, most of whom agreed it was a little too favorable to management. Still a good background on the thing.

Here’s the paper we wrote for IEEE’s Journal of Solid State Circuits (the journal, btw, that my PhD advisor was desperate for me to get published in when I was a grad student). I took the lead on it but a lot of it was written by other people, and a lot of what I did was merely editing. The photo of me in the back makes me giggle.

Some of the folks from our office moved to Austin and formed a second design team. The Exponential PowerPC was originally supposed to have dual personalities, running both x86 and PowerPC instructions. My recollection is that the texas team was going to rekindle that (or switch to x86?) without getting sucked into the day-to-day need to support the ”shipping” product up in California. When we went under, that texas team became EVSX (“everything else sux”), which then became Intrinsity, which then became a good chunk of Apple’s CPU design team.

I powered up my Mac a couple of times, realized I didn’t really have any use for it, and stuck it in the garage. Right around the time Leopard was released, I let go of my grudge against Steve Jobs for taking away the best job I ever had, and picked up a 17” MacBook Pro. I was interested in Tiger, but when I was in law school we had to run software called Examsoft, and only PC’s were an option back then.

Since then it’s been nothing but Mac after Mac - I have a stack of ‘em sitting in a closet. It’s hard to believe that something that started that long ago is still a thing.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Computer History Museum is doing a live presentation/round table:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ll never forget seeing a 128k Mac for the first time in early 1984 and deciding I wanted one to replace my Apple II+. I bought it about five months later for more than 2k. I eventually had it converted to a Fat Mac, then a Mac Plus. I’ve lost count of the number of Macs I’ve owned since then.

Happy Birthday, Mac!

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ll never forget seeing a 128k Mac for the first time in early 1984 and deciding I wanted one to replace my Apple II+. I bought it about five months later for more than 2k. I eventually had it converted to a Fat Mac, then a Mac Plus. I’ve lost count of the number of Macs I’ve owned since then.

Happy Birthday, Mac!

I wanted one too, but my computing budget was closer to $100 than $2k. So I was rocking a fully-kitted-out TI-99/4A.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My first Mac was a Mac Plus, released a couple years after the original Mac. It had more memory (512K, IIRC), and most importantly, a SCSI connector on the back (that was huge) which I hooked up to a 20 MB drive. At the time I was finishing my engineering degree at Santa Clara University, and working part time at ESL Inc, a medium size aerospace company in Sunnyvale (people in the area might remember there was a mass shooting there in the late 1980s).

I used my Mac in a lot of classes using MacDraw for creating tables, block diagrams, schematics, and other stuff. And, ended up using it for writing my thesis project required for graduation, and as a GUI and controller for a HF/VHF receiver for automatically detecting and logging RF signals of interest over a wide frequency range which my thesis project was about. What was really nice I was able to use the newly acquired Apple LaserWriter my lab at ESL had to print out the thesis, making it look very professional. Laser printers were brand new back then, so I got a lot questions regarding how I got the text and block diagrams/schematics looking so nice. Overall, my Mac Plus worked really great for both writing and as a part of the system I developed for my thesis project.

Since then I've purchased a lot of Macs over the years; for both computing and as a part of other projects for myself, and larger systems at ESL, and at another smaller aerospace company I was later part of.

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
In the late 1980s I worked in a medical physics facility as their senior analyst/programmer, where I and the facility director were given a demonstration of what Mackintosh computers could do. We were blown away. Unfortunately, our director was conservative and considered switching too risky, to my great disappointment

In the event, with Windows and PCs increasingly dominant through the 90s and dictating my work-life, it was something like 2010 before i got my first Mac (a mini), and several more years before i got serious and dropped Windows and PCs forever!

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I grew up in a bit of an Apple household. First Mac that I remember was an SE/30 (I don’t remember if it replaced anything). But the first Apple was an Apple II+.

The family Mac was a Quadra 800 that was bought used for years until I was gifted a refurbished 8600. My first purchase for myself was a used Pismo to get me through the last year or two of college. Building my own gcc cross-compilers for OS X to complete class work was a little ridiculous, but it meant not having to use the Windows toolchains provided by the school.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Also, while at ESL, from initially starting with a small IR&D project of mine, I proposed a multi-station signals analysis system that eventually turned into a contract to develop a full-up system for a customer.

Wanting to keep all of the project within our lab (which was more systems engineering and analysis oriented than building hardware), another engineer and I decided (with management approval) to take that on ourselves. Otherwise it would have gone to one of ESL's hardware labs.

Back then Apple just released the Mac IIfx, which came with 6 NuBus slots and a 40 MHz Moto 6830 CPU. We repurposed the motherboard to fit into our own enclosure that we could rack-mount (a customer requirement). And filled the slots with more memory and signal processing cards we developed using AT&T's newly released DSP-32C floating point signal processing chip. Each rack had a 19" Sony Trinitron display, a keyboard and trackball, our signal processing chassis, and another box I developed to digitize customer analog signals, which were then fed to the signal processing chassis for analysis.

In the end it all worked out really well, and probably saved the customer a lot of money keeping it within our own quick reaction lab.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Back in '88, I was able to scrape together $500 to buy a used 512Ke. It had an oddball laser/grid mouse that worked pretty well. After a few years, I got a DayStar CPU bridge that let me add RAM and a HD (the guy originally sold me an external 400K floppy that sounded like a garbage truck).

I was sort of low-income, so discovering the interrupt switch on the side was awesome. I had studied 68K, so and Inside Macintosh, so it was nerdy childsplay to program it from there. Never really did anything useful (maybe an analog clock DA), but it was great entertainment.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
First Mac was a Mac 512K with a single 400K floppy. I bought the $25 phone book edition of Inside Macintosh and an absolutely awful Pascal compiler (called something like TML Pascal) and tried to work my way through programming it. Inside Macintosh was very detailed but the word was to understand any chapter you had to already know all the others.

I upgraded the the 512K to a 512Ke with the 800K floppy and the 512Ke ROM. Then I found a clip on RAM board that allowed for a total of 2.5 MB of RAM. As much RAM as some $20,000 workstations at the time. I wouldn’t have more RAM until I upgraded again to the Mac Plus motherboard. Then I upgraded to a whopping 4 MB of RAM. I used that original Mac for close to a decade before I upgraded to a refurbished Mac IIx with a Sony Trinitron.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
When the Macintosh was introduced I was finishing my senior year in college with a degree in electrical and computer engineering. I was very much a computer nerd and I paid attention to the computer industry as much as possible. Up until the introduction of the Macintosh I didn't have a lot of respect for Apple Computer Inc. The Apple II was revolutionary for 1976 but in 1984, it was absolutely obsolete and the Apple III was an utter joke. When I heard about the new Apple Macintosh I was prepared to write it off as another Apple loser product.

When the local computer store got a display model Mac 128K, I decided to take a look fully expecting weird limitations like a 40 column display or some other holdover from the Apple II. Then I actually played around with it for a few minutes using MacPaint and MacWrite and my mind was blown. The high-resolution bit mapped display was like nothing I had ever seen. The whole question of how many columns of text could it display didn't even apply once I saw bit-mapped, variable, and resizable fonts. Using MacPaint and the FatBits feature was another revelation. The idea that you could drill down on an image to draw fine details was amazing. After that day I knew that the world of computers was changed forever.

I walked away with the first issue of Macworld and another magazine (maybe Popular Mechanics) that had the Macintosh as their major feature of the month. I poured over those articles for months just absolutely fascinated by the details and went back to the computer store repeatedly to try things out that I had read about. I remember that I couldn't wait to graduate and get a job so I could buy a Macintosh. There was no way I could afford one until I started earning a salary as an engineer.

It took until late summer of 1985 before I could put enough money away to buy my first Macintosh but it was still incredible even though if I had waited a few months I could have bought a Mac Plus instead of the Mac 512K. But the 800K upgrade with the new Mac 512Ke ROM was good enough for a while. Eventually I bought a Mac Plus upgrade from a local company that specialized in Macintosh surplus and refurbished parts and I could get the Mac Plus upgrade for a reasonable price. I eventually moved on to a Mac Iix and many other Macs but that first one was with me for a very long time before the power supply blew up one day when I as going to give it to my Mom.

I've only ever owned Macs for my personal computer use. And for the last decade I've finally been allowed to use my own Macs for my jobs as a software engineer and haven't touched a Windows PC since Windows 7 for which I'm forever grateful.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
When the Macintosh was introduced I was finishing my senior year in college with a degree in electrical and computer engineering. I was very much a computer nerd and I paid attention to the computer industry as much as possible. Up until the introduction of the Macintosh I didn't have a lot of respect for Apple Computer Inc. The Apple II was revolutionary for 1976 but in 1984, it was absolutely obsolete and the Apple III was an utter joke. When I heard about the new Apple Macintosh I was prepared to write it off as another Apple loser product.

When the local computer store got a display model Mac 128K, I decided to take a look fully expecting weird limitations like a 40 column display or some other holdover from the Apple II. Then I actually played around with it for a few minutes using MacPaint and MacWrite and my mind was blown. The high-resolution bit mapped display was like nothing I had ever seen. The whole question of how many columns of text could it display didn't even apply once I saw bit-mapped, variable, and resizable fonts. Using MacPaint and the FatBits feature was another revelation. The idea that you could drill down on an image to draw fine details was amazing. After that day I knew that the world of computers was changed forever.

I walked away with the first issue of Macworld and another magazine (maybe Popular Mechanics) that had the Macintosh as their major feature of the month. I poured over those articles for months just absolutely fascinated by the details and went back to the computer store repeatedly to try things out that I had read about. I remember that I couldn't wait to graduate and get a job so I could buy a Macintosh. There was no way I could afford one until I started earning a salary as an engineer.

It took until late summer of 1985 before I could put enough money away to buy my first Macintosh but it was still incredible even though if I had waited a few months I could have bought a Mac Plus instead of the Mac 512K. But the 800K upgrade with the new Mac 512Ke ROM was good enough for a while. Eventually I bought a Mac Plus upgrade from a local company that specialized in Macintosh surplus and refurbished parts and I could get the Mac Plus upgrade for a reasonable price. I eventually moved on to a Mac Iix and many other Macs but that first one was with me for a very long time before the power supply blew up one day when I as going to give it to my Mom.

I've only ever owned Macs for my personal computer use. And for the last decade I've finally been allowed to use my own Macs for my jobs as a software engineer and haven't touched a Windows PC since Windows 7 for which I'm forever grateful.
You're right that the Apple II was out of date by the time the Mac was introduced, though Apple II's were still used in education and other roles. But the Lisa, which was released in 1983, also had a GUI. It failed in part because it was so expensive at around $10k.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My first "bite of the Apple" happened in 1989. I was in student government and we had a Mac in the office to type up memos and other things.

Got used mostly to play the sliding tile puzzle. 😂

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Heh...ours was an Apple Iic (Dad's work got it for him). My Dad and I got addicted to "Apple Panic" that he had gotten for it. (Of course I hunted down the ROM for it and have had it handy on my desktop for the last several years) :D

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
My first Mac was a PowerMacintosh 4400, but I don't remember much of it, I was a kid. After it broke, there was no computer at home for a few years until my parents bought a PC with the newly released Windows Vista (lol). It broke in 2009 (a month after warranty expired) and I got a hand-me-down PowerBook G4 from a relative. All Macs since then :)

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I had seen Macs through the years, thought they were interesting looking, but had never used one. I had cut my virtual computing teeth on DOS and Windows. In 2005 I became really frustrated with both Windows and my Windows machine. A friend had recently purchased and was using and raving about her new iMac. I did some reading on Macs, found MR and began reading posts there and was surprised at how (back then) the site was filled with people who actually enjoyed using their machines, and there weren't a bazillion threads complaining about this and that..... Wow, what a concept! People actually loved their Macs and its OS?!!

I guess it was on MR that I learned that there was to be a keynote presentation, and out of curiosity I decided to watch it. I was fascinated by Steve Jobs, of course -- the man was incredibly charismatic. He started talking with enthusiasm about how the new G5 rev C iMac was the first to have a built-in iSight Camera. As he excitedly talked about all the advantages this would have for users, a thought flashed through my mind: "I don't care about that, I don't need that, I like the earlier model just fine!"

BOOM!!!

Yep, Steve had worked his magic on me. The very next day that thought turned into action, especially after I realized that the earlier G5 rev B model would now be at a sale price..... Went to the Apple Store and came home with my very first Mac.

It took all of a day to fall in love with my new machine and Apple in general, and only a couple of months later I bought a Powerbook in preparation for a trip, reasoning that if I didn't want to use Windows any more at home, I sure as heck wouldn't want to use it on a trip, either. My old Windows tower and laptop spent the next year in the spare room while I happily used my wonderful Macs. One day I finally got around to wiping them and then I donated them to a local charity. This has been an all-Apple/All-Mac household ever since. :)

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I bought my first Mac in 2011. It was a 17" MBP and from there I added an iMac and got the offspring a refurbed 13" MBP. And that's where the fun began.

She was just starting HS and I made sure her computer had the Adobe Suite and iWork, the key being Keynote.

I bought some books that took her though lessons on how to use the Adobe Suite and by the time school started, she was functional. But Keynote is what set her apart.

All the kids had to do presentations and most students just used Powerpoint in the default Blue. So my daughter's presentations looked so much better and the teachers thought she put more work into them. Not really, just used a better program. :)

Top Bottom
1 2