Alec Baldwin did what?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Movie directors (and stage directors in my experience) often don’t give a 💩 about safety and are always having to be reminded by stage managers or union reps.

You might recall what Tarantino did to Uma Thurman… convinced her to do a dangerous driving scene in which she got seriously injured… and if you watch the scene, the entire thing is just the back of her head. There was literally ZERO reason for the scene to be done by anybody but a stunt double. He’s a psychopath, as are many of these directors. They expect to be able to do anything they want and lash out at anybody who pushes back.

So yeah, anytime you work in entertainment, you need strong people not afraid to push back against control-freak directors who don’t give a flying f*** about the human beings that work for them. I hope there is some serious jail time for those responsible, up to and including the director.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yes, a terrible tragedy for sure. You can bet whoever is in charge of props will likely pay for this somehow.

There is supposed to be a specific prop person, the armorer, who is in charge of all weapons, whether they be real or rubber. It is that person who is ultimately responsible.

Read a story today that said the Assistant Director handed him the gun which should be a BIG NO NO.

As for the direction he was pointing it, he probably was shooting at a spot behind the camera where someone just happened to be standing like he has done 1000 times without issue.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a specific prop person, the armorer, who is in charge of all weapons, whether they be real or rubber. It is that person who is ultimately responsible.

Read a story today that said the Assistant Director handed him the gun which should be a BIG NO NO.

As for the direction he was pointing it, he probably was shooting at a spot behind the camera where someone just happened to be standing like he has done 1000 times without issue.

Yeah, the gun was just sitting on a tray and the AD handed it to him. That supposedly is not supposed to happen.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the gun was just sitting on a tray and the AD handed it to him. That supposedly is not supposed to happen.
According to an affidavit filed by the Santa Fe County sheriff’s department, the armorer loaded the prop guns on the tray and

“was given the prop gun after it was fired by actor Alec Baldwin” and “then took the spent casing” out of the weapon before handing it over to the police

It appears COVID safety protocols played a part as the tray was supposedly outside of the shoot area. I don't know why the AD handed over the gun instead of the armorer. I'm leery of the alleged labor unrest on the set, especially since no one has come forward by name and there is no indication that there are official complaints.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
What a horrible story. First, it’s 2021 so I have no clue how this is allowed to happen on a professional set. The only “guns” being shot for a freaking movie should be spray painted water guns, if that means saving a life. As mentioned, it’s not like there isn’t precedent. This is not an accident that should happen more than once.

Then there’s the optics, which is going to make 2A nuts go wild, even though this case is actually an argument against it.

There’s so many negative aspects of this story, the saddest of course that someone on set just doing their profession died. It would be like any of us dying while standing at the copier or whatever. And Baldwin’s life is undoubtedly altered, regardless of intent or lack there of. My instinct is to believe this was a freak accident that can only be blamed on carelessness, but the investigation will suss all that out.

Regardless, a horrible story and I feel so bad for the victim and her family. Truly awful.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

“As of today, it is now policy on The Rookie that all gunfire on set will be Air Soft guns with CG muzzle flashes added in post,” the memo reads. “There will be no more ‘live’ weapons on the show. The safety our cast and crew is too important. Any risk is too much risk.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

(Yeah like it's not supposed to happen that a toddler pulls a loaded gun out of his mom's handbag in a grocery checkout line. Sure, sure.)

They have all this CGI capability now, let them make use of it and get rid of real guns on movie sets. This one too low budget for that I guess.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Baldwin should have known better. Everybody involved should have known better. As I mentioned before, it’s well-known that even fake guns should be treated like live, loaded guns on stage (and on movie sets). You don’t know if somebody with malicious intent swapped the fake gun for a real one when nobody was looking.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Baldwin should have known better. Everybody involved should have known better. As I mentioned before, it’s well-known that even fake guns should be treated like live, loaded guns on stage (and on movie sets). You don’t know if somebody with malicious intent swapped the fake gun for a real one when nobody was looking.
I read somewhere that he was performing when he shot. So, if the camera angle is mandating he points a certain direction, than it may not be up to the performer.

Baldwin is a producer through, and the talk of a troubled set, with previous firearm issues is probably going to be additional trouble for him.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
There was an experienced, licensed armorer on set that set up the guns on the tray, the AD yelled out "cold gun!" as he handed one to Baldwin as is protocol, indicating that there was training and framing beforehand. According to several reports, this was a rehearsal so the gun should not have been loaded with anything. Baldwin was heard to be upset about having been handed a "hot gun" after the accident: “In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun.”

It looks like the armorer's fault*. They are supposed to do one thing and one thing only: ensure the safe handling of guns on set. She caused all of this.

* An investigation will ultimately determine if something untoward happened, and being a "low-budget film," maybe shortcuts were taken. Hope it's sorted out quickly.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I'm still confused on what the actual projectile was. Did someone put a live round in the gun? If so, was it on purpose or an accident. If an accident, why on earth were live rounds even on the set?

Or if it wasn't an actual live round, was something put in the barrel and the blank provided enough force? While it is true that blanks can kill or injure, they need to be close. No way a blank wad goes though Hutchins and then injures Souza. I think it had to be a live round, which takes me back to the first question, why were live rounds even on location?

If on purpose, that opens up so many new questions.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I read somewhere that he was performing when he shot. So, if the camera angle is mandating he points a certain direction, than it may not be up to the performer.

Baldwin is a producer through, and the talk of a troubled set, with previous firearm issues is probably going to be additional trouble for him.
Here are the rules on a movie set.

The VERY FIRST rule:

Refrain from pointing a firearm at anyone, including yourself. If it is absolutely necessary to do so on camera, consult the Property Master (or, in his/her absence, the weapons handler and/or other appropriate personnel determined by the locality or the needs of the production) or other safety representative, such as the First A.D./Stage Manager. Remember that any object at which you point a firearm could be destroyed.
This is what happens when you ignore safety guidelines. You cannot blame the prop master if you point the weapon in an unsafe direction and pull the trigger. Did the director tell the actor to point the weapon at the cinematographer? Why would that be in the script? This was reckless behavior by more than one person. Gross negligence that led to an unnecessary death. I’m not willing to make an excuse for Baldwin, or the director, or the props manager… everybody involved needs to be investigated and held accountable. You NEVER know for sure that you got handed an unloaded weapon or a safe weapon…. Do NOT point it at anybody! It’s not hard.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

The VERY FIRST rule:

This is what happens when you ignore safety guidelines. You cannot blame the prop master if you point the weapon in an unsafe direction and pull the trigger. Did the director tell the actor to point the weapon at the cinematographer? Why would that be in the script? This was reckless behavior by more than one person. Gross negligence that led to an unnecessary death. I’m not willing to make an excuse for Baldwin, or the director, or the props manager… everybody involved needs to be investigated and held accountable. You NEVER know for sure that you got handed an unloaded weapon or a safe weapon…. Do NOT point it at anybody! It’s not hard.

I’m guessing he was told to point the gun at the camera, and the director and cinematographer were behind it? In the end, I think the prop master is going to be found liable here - gun shouldn’t have had live rounds in it, it shouldn’t have left his possession without being handed directly to the actor, he should have made sure the actor was instructed on safe handling, etc. Given that we already know that the gun was loaded with a live round and that the gun was placed on a tray with two other guns, and not kept in the prop master’s possession, it sounds like such a prop master may also not have properly instructed the actor. (You assume Baldwin should have known, but i have no idea how often he’s actually handled a weapon on a movie set, or the last time that occurred.)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Here is where we are going to differ. If the director told him to say "point just to the right of the camera" he may not have known Hutchins was standing there. No idea how the set was setup, but if there were lights on, he probably couldn't see what was behind the camera. Hence he didn't know he was pointing it at her.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

The VERY FIRST rule:

It was rehearsal and the gun was deemed "cold" meaning that it should have not been loaded with anything. It appears the DP and Director were framing a scene. If like Baldwin, they thought the gun was "cold" so probably directed him to practice a shot for the scene to be filmed. Even though it was rehearsal, it may have been filmed and will be part of the investigation.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was rehearsal and the gun was deemed "cold" meaning that it should have not been loaded with anything. It appears the DP and Director were framing a scene. If like Baldwin, they thought the gun was "cold" so probably directed him to practice a shot for the scene to be filmed. Even though it was rehearsal, it may have been filmed and will be part of the investigation.

Apparently there had been two other incidents where a gun was accidentally discharged on the set, so it sounds like the weapons master was not doing a good job.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
They ignored warnings of prior negligent discharges.

People quit their job over this extremely unsafe environment before this woman was killed. This wasn’t just an accident. If you’re on a set with multiple complaints of firearm safety issues and you still point a supposedly unloaded gun at a person and pull the trigger…. You aren’t innocent.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They ignored warnings of prior negligent discharges.

People quit their job over this extremely unsafe environment before this woman was killed. This wasn’t just an accident. If you’re on a set with multiple complaints of firearm safety issues and you still point a supposedly unloaded gun at a person and pull the trigger…. You aren’t innocent.

While I agree with most of this, you are presupposing that the person who pulled the trigger was aware of the prior issues. He denies it. The facts will come out one way or the other. The weapons master on the other hand, needed to be aware.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well a friend of a friend confused the armorer with her dad who is a veteran armorer. Seems like she wasn't ready for this film set. Damn shame.

Gutierrez-Reed added that she was initially fearful of loading blanks. "I think loading blanks was the scariest thing to me because I was like 'oh, I don't know anything about it,'" she said. But her famous father, she said, helped train her up.

Top Bottom
1 2