Apple Vision Pro…. Anybody buying?

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread I had zero interest in buying the AVP purely to the cost reasons aforementioned. Also I have a meta quest 3.
However I watched a number of techtuber channels yesterday and now I’m seriously considering.

I’m genuinely amazed that Apple appears to have nailed the ability to lock a window in space on the first attempt.

It’s all the little details too with respect to the facetime calls - I actually think the personas are scarily good when you factor in that the M2 sips juice and is not running the latest M3 ray tracing hardware.
I can only imagine just how good those avatars will look with the M3 generation chip and ray tracing support being applied to character models.
I saw on Threads yesterday (yes I was bored and couldn't sleep). People are complaining about digital eye representation not exactly living up to the photos of the woman on the Apple site. Now I know people like to complain, and anyone who has bought a frozen pizza knows that the picture doesn't look like actual product, should know enough that marketing materials sometimes exaggerate the truth.

I like to think I looked cool dancing with my iPod back in the day. My children would argue otherwise.

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
I saw on Threads yesterday (yes I was bored and couldn't sleep). People are complaining about digital eye representation not exactly living up to the photos of the woman on the Apple site. Now I know people like to complain, and anyone who has bought a frozen pizza knows that the picture doesn't look like actual product, should know enough that marketing materials sometimes exaggerate the truth.

I like to think I looked cool dancing with my iPod back in the day. My children would argue otherwise.
Obviously your children are wrong and you are cool. You need to collect more data and drop them off to school and dance in front of their class with your iPod to get conclusive evidence on your degree of coolness.
They’d appreciate that!

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m genuinely amazed that Apple appears to have nailed the ability to lock a window in space on the first attempt.

I'm not. This is the sort of thing Apple does when they enter a new space. While many companies will happily go "That's good enough we need to ship", Apple has repeatedly come along and nailed the one thing everyone else seemed content to wait for iterative improvements on. The hard drive in the original iPod, the touch screen on the iPhone. And smaller things too. mDNS/Bounjour/ZeroConf is still woven through so much related to local networking today, while UPnP has been fading away (except for my network music player that can "pull" from the media source rather than be "pushed to").

I have zero AR/VR/XR headsets, so I'm still not interested, but I also keep bouncing off the Apple Watch. I know that's my personal taste at play.

People are complaining about digital eye representation not exactly living up to the photos of the woman on the Apple site. Now I know people like to complain, and anyone who has bought a frozen pizza knows that the picture doesn't look like actual product, should know enough that marketing materials sometimes exaggerate the truth.

Agreed. I'll just snicker here a little, as the advertising thread on this site is still fresh in my mind.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I made an appointment to try an AVP next week, and I have one saved in the Apple Store app.

I'll be looking forward to your assessment should you end up purchasing it.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'll be looking forward to your assessment should you end up purchasing it.
I’ll definitely say what I think if and when I get it. I’m going into this with eyes wide open (really!), and I’m well aware of its shortcomings. But it’s not as if the AVP won’t be useful in its current form.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
After seeing a few reactions and reviews I think I'll buy one after all if it becomes available in Spain not too late in the lifecycle of the product (~1 year?). It does feel like a piece of the future, kind of like the original iPhone. I'm interested. Though I'm guessing the next version will be a massive upgrade over this one, feels almost dev kit like in some aspects.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pretty good and realistic review.

I watched this a few days ago, but I don't think it qualifies as a review. Joanna Stern used the AVP as much as possible over 24 hours, excluding while she slept and presumably in the bathroom (one would hope). But I characterize her experience as a first impression. Although her assessment of the pros and cons seems appropriate, I'm waiting to see what people have to say after using the AVP for a few weeks, incorporating it into their daily routine.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I watched this a few days ago, but I don't think it qualifies as a review. Joanna Stern used the AVP as much as possible over 24 hours, excluding while she slept and presumably in the bathroom (one would hope). But I characterize her experience as a first impression. Although her assessment of the pros and cons seems appropriate, I'm waiting to see what people have to say after using the AVP for a few weeks, incorporating it into their daily routine.
Fair enough, I also watched the one from The Verge although I really can't overstate how much I can't stand that guy Nilay Patel, I still watched. Seemed reasonable enough but just not really ready for primetime, I'm glad I decided to hold off and by that I mean I spent my budget on drone gear instead lol.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I also watched the one from The Verge although I really can't overstate how much I can't stand that guy Nilay Patel, I still watched. Seemed reasonable enough but just not really ready for primetime, I'm glad I decided to hold off and by that I mean I spent my budget on drone gear instead lol.
If by not ready for primetime you mean it's not a mass market device, I agree. But I'm curious enough about the use cases it already supports (like viewing media and as a desktop replacement or addition) to think of buying one, warts and all. I'm even more intrigued by its potential in vertical markets, which will be explored in the coming months and years.

I occasionally read some of the threads over at MR, which are full of pronouncements from closed-minded idiots who aren't even willing to consider the possibilities. Thankfully, I don't see any of that here.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I occasionally read some of the threads over at MR, which are full of pronouncements from closed-minded idiots who aren't even willing to consider the possibilities. Thankfully, I don't see any of that here.

It's a breath of fresh air over here. It seems many at the other place have sequestered their curiosity and imagination in a locked closet. Couple that with the inane juvenile retorts and there's no way to have any kind of fruitful discussion.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's a breath of fresh air over here. It seems many at the other place have sequestered their curiosity and imagination in a locked closet. Couple that with the inane juvenile retorts and there's no way to have any kind of fruitful discussion.

Yeah I still go over there to read stuff and hey, I occasionally learn some useful information! Like for instance how a selling 200,000 units of a $3,500 first generation device during preorder means the entire concept is dead on arrival … I would never known that if not for the helpful posters at Macrumors!

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah I still go over there to read stuff and hey, I occasionally learn some useful information! Like for instance how a selling 200,000 units of a $3,500 first generation device during preorder means the entire concept is dead on arrival … I would never known that if not for the helpful posters at Macrumors!

On one hand, I find it depressing that everything has to be a billion dollar business or it isn’t worth doing. It’s not just this sort of reception, but I see it at work and other places as well. It’s like there’s a bit of brain rot that a stable business that makes millions in tech should be shuttered to make room.

On the other hand, this already has nearly a billion dollars in revenue on day one, and it’s a flop? What?

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Marques Brownlee says he’s now used it for a couple weeks intensively and his review is pretty much in line with the others:

Really cool first generation tech, some pitfalls and limitations, not for mass consumption yet

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Marques Brownlee says he’s now used it for a couple weeks intensively and his review is pretty much in line with the others:

Really cool first generation tech, some pitfalls and limitations, not for mass consumption yet

Contrary to Nilay Patel, I have a ton of respect for Marques Brownlee, he's as genuine and trustworthy as they come. This is a great review, thanks for sharing it.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Based on everything I've seen, it seems to be about what I guessed it would be. Great build quality. Great interface. It really sounds like a top notch product with that special Apple touch to it. But then what? Having a super cool spacial computing device is great, but if you're never reaching for it to put it on, what's the point? I've yet to see anything that would make me want to use it on a regular basis. I'd still love to have one, but I'm getting ready to pick up a Quest 3. That IS a device I'll reach for on a regular basis. I've pretty much worn out my Quest 2.

Still, as a VR enthusiast, I'm really happy to see Apple enter the market. Even if I'm not interested in their product at this point in time.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I liken the price tag and usability to the first iPhone way back in 2007.

First the price, I don't think that $499 back in 2007 could equate for nearly $4000 in 2024, but it is a limited usability first generation device. If I remember the time line correctly it was about 3 - 4 months later that Apple secured the first subsidized Carrier plan with AT&T and I think lowered the price (?). Bottom line Ballmer had to eat his words that were something in the order of "Who wants to pay $500" for a phone!" Not sure there is any subsidizing opportunities with AVP, but just like the iPhone as it becomes more useful and in a generation or two, the price will be forgotten. Look at how much a full priced iPhone 15 Max Pro with 1 TB, and Apple Care+ Lost and Stolen costs. $1,868.00

Usability. It doesn't shock me that it has limited uses now. It almost parallels the iPhone. 4 GB entry model, crappy camera, Edge network, weak battery life (with no interchange battery), and No Apps at all (Web Apps only). Apple had to change that model, or maybe the App Store wasn't ready upon first release. Anyway, I am going to be watching the development of AVP closely. Even with my complaining of my prescription add on costs.

Top Bottom
1 2