Apple Vision Pro…. Anybody buying?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Marques Brownlee says he’s now used it for a couple weeks intensively and his review is pretty much in line with the others:

Really cool first generation tech, some pitfalls and limitations, not for mass consumption yet

Agree. This is a thoughtful, comprehensive look at the AVP. There's no doubt the benefits don't justify the cost for most people. But I liked what Marques said at the end: the AVP has "something" that will hopefully spark interest and entice developers to create apps that'll increase the value proposition, even with the current version.

I've always been an early adopter - I got the Mac the year it was introduced and the iPhone on launch day, knowing both would get better over time. I don't yet know if I'm going to buy an AVP, but Marques' review makes me lean more in that direction, not less.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
If/when I choose to get this (and I do believe it will eventually get better and become mainstream) I hope to get a chance to try it first, mainly because I have a lazy eye and with all the tracking I'm not sure how well it will work out. They say they have accessibility controls to work around it but I get the feeling it won't be the same.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
On Saturday I went to the local Apple Store, just to see what it looked like. I was a little surprised that it looked smaller than what I was expecting.

I think that's due to perspective distortion from all of the closeup photos you see on the web of people wearing it, making it look larger than normal.

For sure it isn't small, just not gigantic like you assume from web photos.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
On Saturday I went to the local Apple Store, just to see what it looked like. I was a little surprised that it looked smaller than what I was expecting.

I think that's due to perspective distortion from all of the closeup photos you see on the web of people wearing it, making it look larger than normal.

For sure it isn't small, just not gigantic like you assume from web photos.
You didn't know it projects a reality distortion field that makes it look smaller in person?

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
Agreed. I'll just snicker here a little, as the advertising thread on this site is still fresh in my mind.
Im assuming you’re referring to my post, which I’ll gladly link here as it’s completely true.

After watching a ton of videos both directly showing and indirectly showing the feature, I can now definitively say I’m snickering a little at your snickering and I’ll leave it at that.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
You have to wonder how many of these people have used one of these before, just curious if it's common with all headsets or just Apple's.
My impression is all head sets suffer from these things to some degree: some will be worse than Apple’s in some aspects due to the low resolution of their screens but some will be better in say comfort due to the lower weight and strap design.

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
Meaningless to me, especially that site. Of course there are people returning it, like with every product launch and generation. Sick of the tired shit they keep trying to pull. They’re an example of what’s gone wrong with media especially that of covering Apple.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I bought an AVP. I’ll give my impressions when I get some time, but I’m happy with my purchase so far.
My comments after about one week:
  • Demo experience: The demo began with a 3D scan that was supposed to identify the right light seal for my face. That didn't work for me, so I ended up with a narrower one than the software recommended. I then proceeded to learn the basics of the UI and then went through a scripted presentation narrated by the sales person that was designed to show off the AVP's high points. It had the desired effect - I ordered one later that day. :)

• Comfort: All the reviewers have lamented the AVP's weight and overall feel. The loop band, which goes behind your head, doesn't support the AVP well. I wouldn't want to use it for more than 30 minutes or so. I soon replaced it with the dual band, which has a second vertical strap and is much more comfortable. I've worn it for up to 2-3 hours, though the loops could use some padding. I hope a third party offers some alternatives.

To prevent light from entering, the AVP comes with the light seal I mentioned above. It's made of a soft, pliable material, but the pressure on my face is noticeable when I tighten the loop(s) too much. I sometimes have to fiddle with the straps to achieve the right balance. Comfort hasn't been close to a deal-breaker for me so far, though.

• Field-of-view: The virtual or real world you see through the AVP (actually, both are virtual, since the latter is represented by a high-resolution video display from the external cameras) is surrounded by a dark border that depends on the light seal and add-on lenses. The closest analogy I can think of is looking through binoculars. After a few days, I became less conscious of it, possibly because I've spent most of my life wearing glasses. Incidentally, the AVP has been fine for me even without the add-on prescription or reader lenses, likely because I have implants.

• Spatial computing: It didn't take me long to grow accustomed to looking at objects to select them and using my fingers and hands to control them. Despite that, it's still sometimes hard to maintain focus on small UI elements. During the training process, you go through three rounds of looking at dots in a circle and "clicking" with your thumb and forefinger. You can redo the process any time if you have difficulty.

One of the advantages of the AVP's world is the ability to position multiple windows in your space and resize them at will. I've tried the AVP for a few "productivity" tasks like checking email and word processing. The virtual keyboard, which floats in front of you when you need to enter text, is surprisingly effective, but I can't use it with more than an index finger. Fortunately, dictation is usually available, and you can pair a Bluetooth keyboard. I also used the AVP with my Mac and didn't find it as effective as using my monitor. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend the AVP for anything but light work for the time being.

• Watching TV and movies: As you've probably read, this is one of the AVP's strengths. Looking at a massive virtual screen is incredible, and 3D movies really pop. The AVP's built-in sound is also excellent — I haven't felt the need to use my AirPods.

• Looking at pictures and "home" videos: Another plus. Panoramas fill the space side-to-side and feel close to being there. The same is true of spatial videos captured with my iPhone 15 or AVP.

• Immersive video: This is the AVP's killer app, IMO. You'll get a taste of it during the demo. For Apple TV+ subscribers, there are a few additional immersive experiences, including one of a woman high lining and another of a rhino sanctuary. The clarity and ability to see the world around you impart an incredible sense of realism. I hope third parties will offer ways for end users to capture videos like this. I've had a similarly satisfying experience with a planetarium app, Sky Guide. I won't go into further detail, but it's the type of application the AVP was made for.

• Miscues: There are many, mostly not unexpected for a first release. Some will be fixable with software updates. For example, you can't rearrange apps into folders, and the digital Persona the AVP creates for video calls is as weird as you've read. Other UI actions we take for granted, like Undo, are also missing. It also seems Apple wants the AVP to only be used by one person. There's a Guest Mode, but the person using it has to go through the training every time.

• Cost, value, and conclusion: There's no denying the AVP's high cost. Whether it's worth it to you is a personal decision, but I have zero regrets and no intention of returning the AVP. In some ways, it makes me feel like I did when I got my 128K Mac in 1984, knowing better versions would be on their way. As I've said here before, I'm an early adopter, and I relish being among the first to try a new technology. I can't tell if the AVP will flourish in the marketplace, but I sure hope it does. Meanwhile, I'm having a blast!
I'm happy to answer any questions as honestly as I can if you have them.

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
My comments after about one week:
  • Demo experience: The demo began with a 3D scan that was supposed to identify the right light seal for my face. That didn't work for me, so I ended up with a narrower one than the software recommended. I then proceeded to learn the basics of the UI and then went through a scripted presentation narrated by the sales person that was designed to show off the AVP's high points. It had the desired effect - I ordered one later that day. :)

• Comfort: All the reviewers have lamented the AVP's weight and overall feel. The loop band, which goes behind your head, doesn't support the AVP well. I wouldn't want to use it for more than 30 minutes or so. I soon replaced it with the dual band, which has a second vertical strap and is much more comfortable. I've worn it for up to 2-3 hours, though the loops could use some padding. I hope a third party offers some alternatives.

To prevent light from entering, the AVP comes with the light seal I mentioned above. It's made of a soft, pliable material, but the pressure on my face is noticeable when I tighten the loop(s) too much. I sometimes have to fiddle with the straps to achieve the right balance. Comfort hasn't been close to a deal-breaker for me so far, though.

• Field-of-view: The virtual or real world you see through the AVP (actually, both are virtual, since the latter is represented by a high-resolution video display from the external cameras) is surrounded by a dark border that depends on the light seal and add-on lenses. The closest analogy I can think of is looking through binoculars. After a few days, I became less conscious of it, possibly because I've spent most of my life wearing glasses. Incidentally, the AVP has been fine for me even without the add-on prescription or reader lenses, likely because I have implants.

• Spatial computing: It didn't take me long to grow accustomed to looking at objects to select them and using my fingers and hands to control them. Despite that, it's still sometimes hard to maintain focus on small UI elements. During the training process, you go through three rounds of looking at dots in a circle and "clicking" with your thumb and forefinger. You can redo the process any time if you have difficulty.

One of the advantages of the AVP's world is the ability to position multiple windows in your space and resize them at will. I've tried the AVP for a few "productivity" tasks like checking email and word processing. The virtual keyboard, which floats in front of you when you need to enter text, is surprisingly effective, but I can't use it with more than an index finger. Fortunately, dictation is usually available, and you can pair a Bluetooth keyboard. I also used the AVP with my Mac and didn't find it as effective as using my monitor. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend the AVP for anything but light work for the time being.

• Watching TV and movies: As you've probably read, this is one of the AVP's strengths. Looking at a massive virtual screen is incredible, and 3D movies really pop. The AVP's built-in sound is also excellent — I haven't felt the need to use my AirPods.

• Looking at pictures and "home" videos: Another plus. Panoramas fill the space side-to-side and feel close to being there. The same is true of spatial videos captured with my iPhone 15 or AVP.

• Immersive video: This is the AVP's killer app, IMO. You'll get a taste of it during the demo. For Apple TV+ subscribers, there are a few additional immersive experiences, including one of a woman high lining and another of a rhino sanctuary. The clarity and ability to see the world around you impart an incredible sense of realism. I hope third parties will offer ways for end users to capture videos like this. I've had a similarly satisfying experience with a planetarium app, Sky Guide. I won't go into further detail, but it's the type of application the AVP was made for.

• Miscues: There are many, mostly not unexpected for a first release. Some will be fixable with software updates. For example, you can't rearrange apps into folders, and the digital Persona the AVP creates for video calls is as weird as you've read. Other UI actions we take for granted, like Undo, are also missing. It also seems Apple wants the AVP to only be used by one person. There's a Guest Mode, but the person using it has to go through the training every time.

• Cost, value, and conclusion: There's no denying the AVP's high cost. Whether it's worth it to you is a personal decision, but I have zero regrets and no intention of returning the AVP. In some ways, it makes me feel like I did when I got my 128K Mac in 1984, knowing better versions would be on their way. As I've said here before, I'm an early adopter, and I relish being among the first to try a new technology. I can't tell if the AVP will flourish in the marketplace, but I sure hope it does. Meanwhile, I'm having a blast!
I'm happy to answer any questions as honestly as I can if you have them.
Great, well organized comments. Thanks!

Concerning Mac, I realised there would be an issue when I Iearned the AVP’s ‘Mac monitor’ is confined to 2560x1600 or so. This makes sense given the current resolution of AVP is 4K.

But I have two questions. Not sure you can answer either or both, but appreciate any light you can cast:
1. What if one has a multi-monitor set-up? Does one get a window for each, albeit confined to 2560x1600?
2. What about if one uses spaces? I use them liberally to ‘expand’ the limitation of my 2-3 monitors. If one has, say, 3 spaces set up on a monitor, does AVP oblige by offering a window for each?

I suspect the answer to both questions is "no", but that either VisionOS enhancements or later hardware iterations will change the answer.

For my productivity purposes I think I need yes answers, although I could envision having a lot of fun implementing most of my productivity stuff as iPad and later visionOS apps, obviating the need to duplicate (most of) how I use a Mac and leveraging instead the paradigm shift inherent in this device.

Thanks again for an enlightening and well-considered set of comments.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Great, well organized comments. Thanks!

Concerning Mac, I realised there would be an issue when I Iearned the AVP’s ‘Mac monitor’ is confined to 2560x1600 or so. This makes sense given the current resolution of AVP is 4K.

But I have two questions. Not sure you can answer either or both, but appreciate any light you can cast:
1. What if one has a multi-monitor set-up? Does one get a window for each, albeit confined to 2560x1600?
2. What about if one uses spaces? I use them liberally to ‘expand’ the limitation of my 2-3 monitors. If one has, say, 3 spaces set up on a monitor, does AVP oblige by offering a window for each?

I suspect the answer to both questions is "no", but that either VisionOS enhancements or later hardware iterations will change the answer.

For my productivity purposes I think I need yes answers, although I could envision having a lot of fun implementing most of my productivity stuff as iPad and later visionOS apps, obviating the need to duplicate (most of) how I use a Mac and leveraging instead the paradigm shift inherent in this device.

Thanks again for an enlightening and well-considered set of comments.

I’ve read that the answer to both is no, but I’ve also read that, internally, Apple employees already have the ability to have more than one window (though not sure if that is spaces-based, multi-monitor-based, or what), so that may be coming.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ve read that the answer to both is no, but I’ve also read that, internally, Apple employees already have the ability to have more than one window (though not sure if that is spaces-based, multi-monitor-based, or what), so that may be coming.
That's correct based on my testing.

Getting the AVP and a Mac to work together is very much a work-in-progress. You can display the entire Mac desktop one space at a time in a window on the AVP and interact with it using the Mac's pointing device(s). Apple says the Mac's cursor can move beyond the confines of its display and control AVP apps, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

As things stand, I just see this as a way to use Mac apps that aren't compatible with the AVP and cut-and-paste between the two platforms. It's not very efficient, though. At some point, it would be great to have apps running on the Mac but displayed in their own individual windows on the AVP. I don't know if that's technically feasible, but it's something that will be needed if the AVP is to succeed for productivity.

One more point I forgot to mention yesterday: Some people are reporting glare inside the AVP. It's hard to describe, but it appears as lighter patches in various places, and it's more obvious when viewing content in a dark background. I'm convinced the cause is internal reflections within the headset. It's annoying at times, but hardly a show-stopper for me.

Top Bottom
1 2