Apple Watch band recommendation

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Apple Watch Series 8 after not having worn any watch for years - mostly due to bands irritating the skin around my wrist. It came with a standard sports band which is not as bad as I had feared so far, but even so I’m probably would like something softer, more breathable, more fitting (M-L size). I’m going to be wearing the watch for extended periods of time but I could switch out whatever band for the sports band for anything involving heavy exercise or swimming. So waterproofing is okay but not a must. I’m open to various latches/fitting mechanisms & materials (though remember sensitive skin). Style is less important than comfort. Finally, I’m not looking to spend as much on the band as I did on the watch. :)

I understand I can try some bands on in the Apple store but any recommendations about which I should look at would be appreciated (even those not sold in the Apple Store).

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The sports band on my Series 6 has served me well for over two years. I don't think I have sensitive skin, but it's not irritating 95% of the time. When I first got the watch I saw myself buying extra bands just for style points but I never got around to it.

Not a helpful post for recommendations but just to say the sports band overperformed for me. There's no sign of wear and tear and I use it every day.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Over the years I've had three Apple Watches, each with a different Sport Loop band. They're great and work well!

Easy to put on my wrist with a perfect fit. And to take off. They're also very comfortable, durable, and show no wear.

Sorry I can't help speaking about other bands. It's just that the Sports Loop works so well (for me).

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I've had one on my wrist since the first one - have about 30 bands (the counterfeit bands, before Apple litigated them out of existence, were very cheap on Amazon) :). I have several of the Clockworksynergy bands - (nylon NATO bands and one suede one) - but sent one of their more recent NATO bands back as I wasn't thrilled with the thinner nylon they're using now. Obviously, hard nylon bands aren't great for people with sensitive skin.

BUT I'm thinking that the canvas bands likely would be a lot more comfortable, breathable and rugged enough for everyday wear.

Going to order one of the Archer ones - let you know if it's a good fit. :)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ve had three Apple Watches going back to Series 0. I bought a knockoff link band similar to the type I’d worn for years with my older watches, but neither it nor the Sport Loop fit exactly right. They were always just a trifle too big or two small.

So I got a knockoff Milanese Loop for my second AW about five or six years ago, and it’s the one I still use.

What I like most is that it’s infinitely adjustable - I can make it tighter or looser with a tug. My skin is prone to irritation, and that’s never happened with this band. It always feels comfortable. It’s held up extremely well, too. And Apple’s more expensive version may be even better.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
The sports band on my Series 6 has served me well for over two years. I don't think I have sensitive skin, but it's not irritating 95% of the time. When I first got the watch I saw myself buying extra bands just for style points but I never got around to it.

Not a helpful post for recommendations but just to say the sports band overperformed for me. There's no sign of wear and tear and I use it every day.

Over the years I've had three Apple Watches, each with a different Sport Loop band. They're great and work well!

Easy to put on my wrist with a perfect fit. And to take off. They're also very comfortable, durable, and show no wear.

Sorry I can't help speaking about other bands. It's just that the Sports Loop works so well (for me).
No that’s good to know - I have to admit the sports loop band is working better than I thought it would when I first got it. So thank you!

I've had one on my wrist since the first one - have about 30 bands (the counterfeit bands, before Apple litigated them out of existence, were very cheap on Amazon) :). I have several of the Clockworksynergy bands - (nylon NATO bands and one suede one) - but sent one of their more recent NATO bands back as I wasn't thrilled with the thinner nylon they're using now. Obviously, hard nylon bands aren't great for people with sensitive skin.

BUT I'm thinking that the canvas bands likely would be a lot more comfortable, breathable and rugged enough for everyday wear.

Going to order one of the Archer ones - let you know if it's a good fit. :)

Thanks!

I’ve had three Apple Watches going back to Series 0. I bought a knockoff link band similar to the type I’d worn for years with my older watches, but neither it nor the Sport Loop fit exactly right. They were always just a trifle too big or two small.

So I got a knockoff Milanese Loop for my second AW about five or six years ago, and it’s the one I still use.

What I like most is that it’s infinitely adjustable - I can make it tighter or looser with a tug. My skin is prone to irritation, and that’s never happened with this band. It always feels comfortable. It’s held up extremely well, too. And Apple’s more expensive version may be even better.

Thanks!

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
No experience (yet, temporarily unavailable) but I’ve been looking at apple’s "leather link" bands. Reviews - a couple years ago - described the leather as supple and very comfortable and suitable for wear while asleep. Like the Milanese Loop (which i do have) it’s described as highly adjustable and quick to put on and off. Might be worth a look?

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I’m on my 2nd watch. My first is now my son’s and he also only uses the original sport band. For my second watch, my wife gave me a leather band and housing. It takes almost no time to swap it out, but I haven’t bothered in months. I would if I were going in the water though.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have settled on some magnetic bands with loops. Not leather, not metal. I love them because I can swim in them and they dry right off.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Agreed. Why limit yourself to just a couple fixed positions.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
my wife makes bands stinky so any of the cloth or even cloth like ones become stinky. even the Milanese Loop can get stinky on her if she does not take it in the shower.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Ok, I got one of the Archer canvas bands. My expectation was that they'd be softer. Well, they're treating them with something that makes them pretty hard - very much like the stiff nylon bands, but not as sharp on the edges - so I wouldn't recommend them to people with sensitive skin.

I'm sure they'll soften up in time (even the nylon ones do with regular wear) - but there's likely way too many days of discomfort to make it worth your while. :)

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got one of the Archer canvas bands. My expectation was that they'd be softer. Well, they're treating them with something that makes them pretty hard - very much like the stiff nylon bands, but not as sharp on the edges - so I wouldn't recommend them to people with sensitive skin.

I'm sure they'll soften up in time (even the nylon ones do with regular wear) - but there's likely way too many days of discomfort to make it worth your while. :)
Good to know!

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
^ excellent, hope it goes well 🙂

Meant to report back a week or so ago that I’ve had the (Apple) leather link strap I mentioned above for a month now and i’m super happy with it…however, while it’s much better than what it replaced and great for me - quick release, quick and easy to fasten, supple - i could imagine it might not suit very sensitive skins.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Btw I went with a Milanese-loop type (non-Apple) band. I’ll let you guys know how it turns out! Thanks for the advice.
So here’s a long term review. I bought the following band:

It works pretty well and is a decent upgrade over the sports band for relatively cheap. It’s lighter than the sports band but that lightness does mean I have to wear the strap a touch tighter or the heavy watch can move it. However the magnetic strap makes it easy to adjust to exactly the right fit for whatever wrist position I want. The loop could stand to be a touch larger to make it easier to get over my hand without having to uncouple it. I can still do it but someone with larger hands could not or at the very least would struggle. I believe a couple of the reviews mention this. Breathes well, better than the sports loop, but I’ll admit I have very hairy wrists which catch - that could be a problem with the sports band too, but it just seems to happen slightly more often with this one. However, for neither does it happen often enough to bother me most of the time. Again overall a nice upgrade, with caveats, and quite good for the price.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
As a follow-up, more than a month later - the Archer band is one of the most comfortable bands I have - if you can get someone else to break it in for you, so it isn't so hard, it could be a great addition. :)

Top Bottom
1 2