Apple Watch

D

Deleted member 199

I've never been able to work in fullscreen mode. I like having windows peeking from behind other windows so I can click around on them.
I didn't ever use it much when it was first introduced, but these days I find I like it - and combined with 2-finger swipe on a Magic Mouse (switch between each 'space' on a display), I find it works quite well for my purposes. I just wish it was a bit more flexible than purely 1 or 2 side-by-side.

mostly to track my mountain biking
When I was going for a ride daily (on the road though), before I had a watch I used my phone to track it. That was ridiculously annoying. The watch made that much nicer.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
That sucks! Did it still work? Mine didn't. :ROFLMAO:

For the curious, it wasn't a house fire, but a fire in a detached garage out back. I had my watch charging out there at the time and left it there when I went back inside the house (must have had my rings closed). Then I got distracted. Then a neighbor was pounding on the door and yelling fire. I think they ultimately blamed old wiring for the fire.

I liked my Apple Watch, but didn't realize how much until it was gone. The problem was that the fire happened in July and I wasn't about to get another S3 with the S4 just around the corner with its bigger screen. So I found other ways to get by till I was able to replace it. The napkin watch was initially a big success. But it just didn't have the same build quality I'm accustomed to with Apple products. After the first one failed, I decide to just hold out for the real thing and not settle for some lesser watch.

Did you try putting it in a bowl of rice?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Which app are you using for tides?

This one:

1625659699621.png

The iPhone app is OK, but the Watch App is excellent:

1625659763261.png

That little H / L indicator can be used as a complication.

The iPhone app has ads, but the Watch app functions completely, without adds, in the free version. But since I used it a lot, I went ahead and bought the ad free version, well worth it for $1.99

Tides Pro looks good too, and it's got a jazzier UI, iPhone app looks better, I may give it a shot, it's fremium, $4.99 to go ad free, I may check it out at some point, but since I used the above for like 2+ years, I stuck with it for now :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wait till you do this to it, and then look at the price of a screen replacement vs a new one.

View attachment 6739

Yep, got one of those in a drawer, in fact, that's what prompted the wife's replacement :D AC+ is totally worth it on a watch since it's cheap (the AC that is ...)

D

Deleted member 199

That sucks! Did it still work?
Sorry I didn't answer this before. It was on when I dropped it, and still on when I picked it up. AFAIK its just the face.. glass (or whatever it is) that's FUBAR. It's been sitting on my desk ever since so the battery is long flat now, but I believe it would 'work' apart from the screen issue, if it were charged, yes.

D

Deleted member 199

Yep, got one of those in a drawer, in fact, that's what prompted the wife's replacement :D AC+ is totally worth it on a watch since it's cheap (the AC that is ...)
AC+ wasn't available here then (just the 'original' AC at the time, so no accident protection), and I dropped it earlier this year, so outside the 2 year protection period anyway.

You're spot on about them not being something people replace as often though - but then I don't replace my iPhone that often either (still using a 7). I haven't looked to see if/when that AC+ extension thing will be available here, but it's absolutely gonna be something we'll use after moving back to Aus. I can't find pricing for it though, even in the countries where it is offered - anyone using it and can indicate prices?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's $79 for 2 years on a Watch (non-Fancy models ...), and Apple has done this new thing where you can extend - seems like indefinitely - AC is you paid up front, as I understand it, at the end of the AC, you can opt (within 90 days), to switch to monthly.

I mean, that potentially gives you a device you can own with coverage for years.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
AppleCare is almost a must with the watch. It seems to be way more vulnerable to accidental damage than any other device.

As for the price, I find it's worth it for the fitness tracking alone. There's also a lot of things that the watch makes way more convenient. I usually keep the watch for 2-3 years as the upgrades lately are pretty small from year to year.

D

Deleted member 199

It's $79 for 2 years on a Watch (non-Fancy models ...), and Apple has done this new thing where you can extend - seems like indefinitely - AC is you paid up front, as I understand it, at the end of the AC, you can opt (within 90 days), to switch to monthly.

I mean, that potentially gives you a device you can own with coverage for years.
Right sorry I should have been clearer - I meant that I can't find pricing for the monthly 'extension' after the regular 2 years runs out. The 2 year AC+ is (at current FX) $95 here, and we had the regular AC on the previous ones. I'm just curious what sort of monthly fee it is (and I wonder why they don't offer yearly fees for a lot of this stuff any more - same with iCloud)

It seems to be way more vulnerable to accidental damage than any other device.
Yeah, definitely. Even before I dropped it (face down, onto tiles) it had some relatively noticeable marks from where I've knocked it on stuff (I never really think ahead and take it off when DIY-ing).

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm bougie. I like stainless steel, but not the stainless steel prices LOL

I have an S4 Stainless Steel that I bought in pristine condition when the S5 came out. Gotta love Apple fanboys that upgrade every year for no reason lol

At the time, I think stainless steel watches were like $750 plus taxes. I got it for some crazy cheap amount on Swappa. I think I paid like $250 for it. I can't remember the exact price but I know it was a super good deal. The guy mailed it to me and it looked practically new. I will wear this thing until it dies or becomes too slow to use and then look on Swappa for a model that is a year older than the current and find another SS deal for cheap when Apple releases a new one. LOL. People try to get rid of their old watches at low prices when new ones come out. That is the time to jump on the deals :)

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Huh. While I did get a couple of scratches on my last watch (none on the new one so far), I never managed to drop it or hit it against something hard enough to crack the screen. My phone, on the other hand, I did drop a couple times and had to replace the screen. The watch feels safer tethered to my wrist than the phone. Regardless, I never buy AppleCare. I'm not precious with my stuff either.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got it for some crazy cheap amount on Swappa. I think I paid like $250 for it. I can't remember the exact price but I know it was a super good deal.
Yeah the Apple Watch depreciates extremely fast compared to any other Apple device.

D

Deleted member 199

I never managed to drop it or hit it against something hard enough to crack the screen.
I think mine was really bad luck. It slipped out of my fingers while putting it on - fell face down, from standing height, onto a tile floor.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I think mine was really bad luck. It slipped out of my fingers while putting it on - fell face down, from standing height, onto a tile floor.
Always face down.

Next time, try strapping it to a cat. Then we'd get to see which force is greater, a cat always landing on its feet, or a screen always landing face down.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score

I never put my watch on when I'm standing on tile floor. I cracked my first Apple Watch that way. I was in the bathroom and tried to put it on. It slipped and cracked on tile. Now I put it on when I'm on carpet in my bedroom lol

D

Deleted member 199

I never put my watch on when I'm standing on tile floor. I cracked my first Apple Watch that way. I was in the bathroom and tried to put it on. It slipped and cracked on tile. Now I put it on when I'm on carpet in my bedroom lol
I mean... I get how that's probably doable for you, or most people.

This entire house has tile floors (literally).

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm bougie. I like stainless steel, but not the stainless steel prices LOL

I have an S4 Stainless Steel that I bought in pristine condition when the S5 came out. Gotta love Apple fanboys that upgrade every year for no reason lol
I like buying new but often look at the Stainless Steel AW from the previous year on the seller sites and they’ve literally lost 50+% of their original value. You can grab a bargain. My only concern is after a year the battery health drops so much as mine has now [emoji17]

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I like buying new but often look at the Stainless Steel AW from the previous year on the seller sites and they’ve literally lost 50+% of their original value. You can grab a bargain. My only concern is after a year the battery health drops so much as mine has now [emoji17]

I haven't had any battery issues. I usually charge it every night and it usually has a good amount of life left before I throw it on the charger.

Top Bottom
1 2