Binge worthy TV

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Currently on season 3 of Schitt’s Creek so it will be a while before I need anything. But I need to start a list. KnowwhatImean?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
In winter I even glance now and then at long ago downloaded episodes of CSI: Miami playing on a video iPod parked in an old speakerdock in my kitchen, while I supervise the dinner prep... it's definitely and only all about the sight of those bright Miami colors in contrast to winter's dark greens, greys, black and whites of winter here in the mountains. It's beautiful here but I need those flashes of color and a "good morning!" from the cardinal at the bird feeder is not enough.

As summer winds down now though I'm still half-binging on episode after episode of Suits, I'm almost at season 5 now... so no need to update my list of candidates any time soon. I'm watching that on Prime video and haven't checked into Netflix for so much as a movie in about three weeks.

My perennial fallbacks for TV re-watch are particular seasons of The Wire and most of Downtown Abbey.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Is this going to be just suggestions for current stuff, or will we talk about binging on oldies too?
Classics I like to binge on regularly, to name a few:
Bennie Hill (literally every night)
Columbo
Mission Impossible (the show)
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of Lovercraft Country on HBO Max last night. I’m undecided. The racism of the time period is more horrific than the Lovecraft monsters, although ultra violent, also kind of campy.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of Lovercraft Country on HBO Max last night. I’m undecided. The racism of the time period is more horrific than the Lovecraft monsters, although ultra violent, also kind of campy.

I need to watch that. Forgot it was starting last night.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
For short dose bingeing I recommend the Dick Cavett Show YouTube Channel. Some great classic interviews from a bygone era.

Not sure if it was this channel, but I think there was an interview with Orson Welles where he talked about meeting Hitler before he came into power and wasn't impressed. He was completely forgettable. :oops:

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
For short dose bingeing I recommend the Dick Cavett Show YouTube Channel. Some great classic interviews from a bygone era.

I concur! His interview (2 episodes) with Kissinger and his interview with Bobby Fischer are extremely interesting. I wish that shows with a simple format (one guy asks questions, other guy answers, almost no background, no media, little audience etc., NO INTERRUPTIONS OR WEIRD LOOKING "REACTIONS" FOR THOSE FUCKING "REACTION VIDEOS") were back in fashion.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I concur! His interview (2 episodes) with Kissinger and his interview with Bobby Fischer are extremely interesting. I wish that shows with a simple format (one guy asks questions, other guy answers, almost no background, no media, little audience etc., NO INTERRUPTIONS OR WEIRD LOOKING "REACTIONS" FOR THOSE FUCKING "REACTION VIDEOS") were back in fashion.

It’s interesting to see some interviews before some controversy hit, like Roman Polanski before he left the country to avoid child sexual abuse charges, but I think it was after the Manson murders of his wife and friends. He was also a survivor of the holocaust. That’s a lot of major drama/trauma for one person.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Right? There was a moment of, "Wow, these white people are really terri ... OMFG MONSTERS!"

Hopefully that's not too spoilery. :D

General thoughts: love it, it's beautifully acted and filmed, honestly that first 20-25 minutes of people just living their lives, celebrating their culture, was beautiful, sexy, warm, just a great setup. Love MKW, though he hasn't shown up yet (i.e., Omar has yet to be comin'), though I do know who he is (by way of IMDB).

I've also read a lot of Lovecraft, played games based on his mythos, read plenty of people who wrote around the same universe: Derleth, Bloch, Brian Lumley (a real fave, I've had his Titus Crow cycle in my reading queue for ages ...), anyway, while still knowing his perspective on race, I mean, he was xenophobic to a degree that really informs how he wrote about the fear of "things from beyond".

I scored the source book a few months ago, but avoided reading it over the concern of revealing too much of the series plot (though if I'm being really honest, I just can't seem to get to a book anymore ...)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Is this going to be just suggestions for current stuff, or will we talk about binging on oldies too?

Oldies, please.

Great format, when properly carried out, but, for it to be really successful it relies on the interviewer themselves having done a lot of homework or research, rather than solely relying on a researcher to have fed them a selection of prepared questions.

If they have done some of the research themselves, or thought about the subject, they will be in a position to spontaneously ask supplementaries in response to how the conversation develops.

At its best, it is also a format where the interviewee is allowed to take the time to think, and to take the time to answer a question properly, sometimes at length, rather than facing constant brusque interruptions.

This, in turn, means that the interviewer is actually listening to the replies, and responding, in his or her turn, to that, allowing the interviewee to be the focus of the programme (not the interviewer, for whom, often nowadays, such programmes are something of an ego trip), dissecting what they have to say and exploring why they have said it, rather than attempting to take centre stage.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
I've also read a lot of Lovecraft, played games based on his mythos, read plenty of people who wrote around the same universe: Derleth, Bloch, Brian Lumley (a real fave, I've had his Titus Crow cycle in my reading queue for ages ...), anyway, while still knowing his perspective on race, I mean, he was xenophobic to a degree that really informs how he wrote about the fear of "things from beyond".

Fellow Lovecraftian here. I also love reading Lovecraft's letters (I own several volumes); his exchanges with Robert E Howard (author of Conan the Barbarian and other pulp stuff) are great.

On the xenophobic thing... well, undeniable, but if I have to be honest, after reading several volumes of his letters, and lots of material from those times, I am starting to think that 99% of the population was utterly xenophobic, but among them only H.P. Lovecraft had the intellectual knowledge and honesty to actually write it down on paper so well. Let's face it, he was also a disturbed individual; his letters from New York should be read by anyone who's interested in depression and possible paranoia. Among the NY letters there is a famous, long one which is... just insane. On the other hand, his work is sublime and that's what I "celebrate". I think that ST Joshi is doing the world a favor by publishing so much Lovecraftian material.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Oldies, please.

Great format, when properly carried out, but, for it to be really successful it relies on the interviewer themselves having done a lot of homework or research, rather than solely relying on a researcher to have fed them a selection of prepared questions.

If they have done some of the research themselves, or thought about the subject, they will be in a position to spontaneously ask supplementaries in response to how the conversation develops.

At its best, it is also a format where the interviewee is allowed to take the time to think, and to take the time to answer a question properly, sometimes at length, rather than facing constant brusque interruptions.

This, in turn, means that the interviewer is actually listening to the replies, and responding, in his or her turn, to that, allowing the interviewee to be the focus of the programme (not the interviewer, for whom, often nowadays, such programmes are something of an ego trip), dissecting what they have to say and exploring why they have said it, rather than attempting to take centre stage.

Very true; as they say, research is everything. It is clear that many modern interviewers don't do any research. While I certainly don't expect them to know everything about the subject, it is evident when the interviewer blindly follows a script (often looking for the "gotcha" or the easy laugh) and when the interviewer has enough knowledge to engage in a meaningful conversation. I often wonder if it is due to a dumbing down of the audience or if it's simply because now everything - including the news - must be entertaining.

Top Bottom
1 2