California Streamin’

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
It’s now been so long since the next os was announced, I’ve totally forgotten if there was anything exciting coming on Monday. Anyone remember what they’re looking forward to?

I've been running the beta on my old XS Max since beta 1. Usually I'd have all my devices updated by now with the GM. But, this time, I don't even remember why I would care.

So, going and looking at the features, being able to do FaceTime with an Android person will be nice. And reading text from images will be fantastic. That's it. 2 major things I'm looking forward to.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
It’s now been so long since the next os was announced, I’ve totally forgotten if there was anything exciting coming on Monday. Anyone remember what they’re looking forward to?
It's been years since I've cared, so I don't not remember, I never knew.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
iOS 15 is probably the most boring iOS update since iOS began. There's a new way of organizing/silencing notifications and that's all I can remember. Everything else was to do with FaceTime collaboration (a.k.a. Apple's answer to Zoom) which I'll never use.
The FaceTime with Android thing - that’s right. I was anxious to be able to use that with my brother and sister-in-law, but last month they finally caved and bought iPhones.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
The FaceTime with Android thing - that’s right. I was anxious to be able to use that with my brother and sister-in-law, but last month they finally caved and bought iPhones.

I'll be able to put it to good use with my mom. The rest of the family is already Apple.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I never use FaceTime so any improvements made there are lost on me! I am interested in that text detection thingy, though -- could be very useful at times!
How have you made it through the pandemic without FaceTime?! I think my entire family would have committed hiri kiri long ago without it.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
How have you made it through the pandemic without FaceTime?! I think my entire family would have committed hiri kiri long ago without it.
Can’t speak for others, but I’ve made it through the pandemic so far without a single FaceTime session.

Here virtually nobody I even remotely know actually uses FaceTime, save for the grandma of my niece and nephew. WhatsApp is pretty much they way to go for mobile to mobile video calls. Not sure if Apple’s updates will make any difference whatsoever, but more good options would be great.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a fan of video calls. Star Trek made it look great but there’s always a lag in the connection or spoken words/mouth movements that hurts my brain. I get a headache after a few minutes.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Since we don’t live anywhere near each other, FaceTime has been a real godsend. My mother, daughter, son, and I do weekly “bitching and venting” sessions on FaceTime. It’s nice for us to be together and just blow off steam.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like my shipping date got updated! Nice!
407B6E59-7ADF-4EB3-BF31-5D711BC9370A_1_105_c.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Texting and emails work just fine, and so do the occasional phone calls.....

Yep. Phone calls for this generation, and texts w/ the nextgen crowd, whose vmails are always full anyway and who never check their email except in pursuit of an emailed gift cert preceded by a text about it!

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yep. Phone calls for this generation, and texts w/ the nextgen crowd, whose vmails are always full anyway and who never check their email except in pursuit of an emailed gift cert preceded by a text about it!

I hate phone calls and don't answer them. I don't want to be on video either. I prefer texting. I see no point in email these days. It's almost become as useless as the mail it replaced. Most of what I receive every day gets trashed without even getting opened, kind of like the real mail.

My brother prefers phone calls. So he calls and I ignore him. Then I text him back and he ignores me. It really keeps peace in the family.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Except for my 87 year old mother who really likes to see us. I like to see her too - who knows when I won’t be able to anymore.
I prefer texting.
Same. I don’t use the phone with anyone. It’s 99% text.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I see no point in email these days. It's almost become as useless as the mail it replaced. Most of what I receive every day gets trashed without even getting opened, kind of like the real mail.

I am ruthless at unsubscribing from (or blocking) most emails I don't want, just to let the ones I do want get their 30 seconds in the spotlight. One pal whose predilection for forwarding chain-mail jokes really made me crazy, so I gave her a throwaway email to isolate her stuff. I sort that into the trash a couple times a month and otherwise drop her a note now and then but resolutely never respond to any of the junkmail-forwards. She asked for my mobile number once and I instantly had a vision of her sending me links to joke websites... ugh... so I told her the truth, which is that I live in a dead zone. Thanks god she's apparently unaware that one can use a mobile phone over WiFi in the boondocks.

I prefer texting.

Same. I don’t use the phone with anyone. It’s 99% text.

My messaging is mostly just picking up 2FA codes or else trading hiyas with kinfolk who won't use anything else. My sibs still seem to prefer email or phone calls, although some of them had used Facebook with their grandkids until the kids migrated to 100% texting.

I would love to have been able to text with my grandma, she was a great one for just dashing off a note through the post to her grandkids away at school, and it would have been a kick to see how she adapted to conventions of messaging. She'd have been fine with it, I'm pretty sure. Always one to keep up with the latest gadgetry in the kitchen and laundry, had a list of older stuff she loathed and that included assorted manual versions of today's food processors. "If they can make a motorboat propeller, then why can't they make something with little blades sorta like that to cut up these darn turnips for my soups?" She was a gear marketer's dream model of an early adopter, that's for sure.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I am ruthless at unsubscribing from (or blocking) most emails I don't want, just to let the ones I do want get their 30 seconds in the spotlight. One pal whose predilection for forwarding chain-mail jokes really made me crazy, so I gave her a throwaway email to isolate her stuff. I sort that into the trash a couple times a month and otherwise drop her a note now and then but resolutely never respond to any of the junkmail-forwards. She asked for my mobile number once and I instantly had a vision of her sending me links to joke websites... ugh... so I told her the truth, which is that I live in a dead zone. Thanks god she's apparently unaware that one can use a mobile phone over WiFi in the boondocks.

My messaging is mostly just picking up 2FA codes or else trading hiyas with kinfolk who won't use anything else. My sibs still seem to prefer email or phone calls, although some of them had used Facebook with their grandkids until the kids migrated to 100% texting.

I would love to have been able to text with my grandma, she was a great one for just dashing off a note through the post to her grandkids away at school, and it would have been a kick to see how she adapted to conventions of messaging. She'd have been fine with it, I'm pretty sure. Always one to keep up with the latest gadgetry in the kitchen and laundry, had a list of older stuff she loathed and that included assorted manual versions of today's food processors. "If they can make a motorboat propeller, then why can't they make something with little blades sorta like that to cut up these darn turnips for my soups?" She was a gear marketer's dream model of an early adopter, that's for sure.
Same here, I get it texting is the most common way to communicate these days but it's also really impersonal. If I have to explain something in detail I always just say "I'll explain next time we talk" I'm not going to write a book over text messages. For me it's more a matter of idle chatter back and forth.

Last edited:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same here, I get it testing is the most common way to communicate these days but it's also really impersonal. If I have to explain something in detail I always just say "I'll explain next time we talk" I'm not going to write a book over text messages. For me it's more a matter of idle chatter back and forth.
Yep texting a lot of details or a complicated story is hard. Way easier to call the person and explain. Texting for me is usually short banter.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Suddenly I’m one of the guinea pigs! Interesting birthday week indeed.

I quite unexpectedly got a mail from Apple that my defunct ghost order had been shipped, express delivery scheduled for the 24th. They must have manually resuscitated it as it was now registered as a “Guest order” instead, and possible to add to my account. For a while there I had two valid phone orders. Yay would have been so proud!

336D1670-CB80-423A-9415-88AE8D18BB38.jpeg

I guess this means my attempts at fixing my bank’s Apple Pay problem turned out 👍.

Top Bottom
1 2