California Streamin’

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
My macro photos would mostly be of the insect variety and my current iPhone (11 Pro) has problems focusing, I assume because of all the small body parts at different depths.

Ah.....for insects and such are better shot with a lens that provides some distance between you and the subject so that you don't spook them! With a macro lens on a regular camera one can control things so much more than with an iPhone, as there are the various settings on the camera, and the user can adjust Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and (manual) focus plus distance from the subject so that the insect's parts are all in focus. In some situations one can also use a technique called "focus stacking," but that's not something one can do on an iPhone, just a real camera.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I"m fortunate in that I live in an area where there are five or maybe it's six Apple stores all within comfortable driiving distance, and one of them is only a few miles away..... Actually, it has the distinction of being the first Apple Store on the East Coast -- the Tysons Apple Store. It's always, always, always busy!!!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like everyone is having problems with the iPhone Upgrade Program and the Apple Card. It wouldn’t take my Apple Card so after multiple attempts I used a different card and it went through. However that ended up causing my ship date to slip into October. If it would have went through the first time I would have had it on launch day. 😡

I don't miss 1st day preorder purchasing issues. It also seemed to fail more spectacularly on years when I initially wasn't going to upgrade but then decided to at the last second. I probably should have seen that as a sign.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah.....for insects and such are better shot with a lens that provides some distance between you and the subject so that you don't spook them! With a macro lens on a regular camera one can control things so much more than with an iPhone, as there are the various settings on the camera, and the user can adjust Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and (manual) focus plus distance from the subject so that the insect's parts are all in focus. In some situations one can also use a technique called "focus stacking," but that's not something one can do on an iPhone, just a real camera.

I have a Moment macro lens for the iPhone (probably the highest quality and most expensive lenses you can get for cell phones). Most of my insect macros are of praying mantises and jumping spiders and due to their inquisitive nature spooking them isn’t the issue. Seeing the lens as a jungle gym to explore on is the issue. :p

As a sidebar, for people wondering what to do about dealing with today’s stresses, I highly recommend watching insects. I find it fascinating and relaxing, and they give zero fucks about our human problems. They have insect things to do.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hrmmm…I used my Apple Card. No problem.

I tried to use the Apple Card to purchase something from Apple with an installment plan once. I didn't have enough available on the card to pay the full total price, thus went for the installment plan option. But it seems they still require you to have the total purchase amount available on the card even if you want the installment plan, or at least that's what appeared to happen to me.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Are you on the upgrade program? It looks like it was only iUp folks. I used my AppleCard no problem, but I'm not on iUp.
I am on the IUP. Last year the iPhone was released a bit later than this year. So I can either pay one monthly installment now to fulfill the 12-months of payments required to get a new one, or wait until later this month to place my order. I decided I will wait. It’s only 2 weeks.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I really envy you people with Apple stores so close.

It makes a big difference, it's one reason I always talk about convenience of service channels with Apple gear, but of course, that's highly dependent on actually having a store reasonably close by.

Of course, "reasonably close" is pretty subjective too (in my head, that feels like an hour or less travel time).

Note: I did NOT know Apple stores had shopping carts until I went to the first Apple store and you see the amount of stuff people buy in that store like it's a grocer.

Holy hell, hahahah, "Let me get this Mac Pro in my cart, these wheels, this XR display ..." :ROFLMAO:

Even I got one close! Envy me! About 23km/14miles driving, or 16km/10miles walking, or about one hour using public transport.

Wow, that is close, @JayMysteri0 how close are your two?

Looks like everyone is having problems with the iPhone Upgrade Program and the Apple Card. It wouldn’t take my Apple Card so after multiple attempts I used a different card and it went through. However that ended up causing my ship date to slip into October. If it would have went through the first time I would have had it on launch day. 😡

When I went to order, about 9a-ish (EST), the delivery dates were Oct 6th - 11, but the in-store pickup was Sept 24th, not sure if you can re-config your order this late[?]

I"m fortunate in that I live in an area where there are five or maybe it's six Apple stores all within comfortable driiving distance, and one of them is only a few miles away..... Actually, it has the distinction of being the first Apple Store on the East Coast -- the Tysons Apple Store. It's always, always, always busy!!!

I've been to the Tysons Corner store, I have an ongoing gig in DC (it's 99% offsite), but I have occasionally ventured up into the area, once I got caught without some cables/adapters Metro'd over from the Rosslyn area.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Wow, that is close, @JayMysteri0 how close are your two?

I believe the stores are less than 20 miles apart from one another.

The crowds they cater to, make it worth. The original store is pretty much smack next to where doctor's & execs live, so every time I've gone in someone is always buying the most expensive products. The newer store is a nice mall, but caters to a wider crowd I believe, which is why I favor it.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Wow, that is close
Pretty lucky considering the neighborhood. Not a lot of those Apple Stores up here. 🥳

9D3601D8-5EF0-4EA2-8BD9-7A513AF1CCF4.jpeg

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I went to order, about 9a-ish (EST), the delivery dates were Oct 6th - 11, but the in-store pickup was Sept 24th, not sure if you can re-config your order this late[?]
There was no pickup available at either of the stores near me.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
The iPad Mini looks tempting, but I am just gonna keep my 2020 11inch iPad Pro. I got it last year. It's not even a year old lol

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I have 3 that are within a 30 minute drive or less. One of those is 3 miles away. That one has the distinction of... being closest to me.

I used to enjoy going there to pick mine up, then dropping it off at Zagg before even powering it up, then grabbing some lunch while they put the screen protector on. It's seems weird, but I've never touched the actual screen on the last few phones I've owned.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you on the upgrade program? It looks like it was only iUp folks. I used my AppleCard no problem, but I'm not on iUp.
I paid the whole thing outright. I tried iUp once, maybe 4 years (2 phones) ago. It was such a pain to pay off that I decided never again.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I really envy you people with Apple stores so close. My husband and Tim Cook graduated from the same high school - you’d think there’d be an Apple store closer.

Yah here the closest Apple store is 180 miles round trip. I did it for the first iPhone launch and it was great fun indeed, but since then it's been online ordering for me. And usually a long long wait until whatever it is turns up in the refurb shelves on Apple's website.

I've managed to make myself crazy doing math on assorted configurations of iPad Air plus a new mini to replace a 10.5" pro and an iPad mini 4.

So.... taking a break from the internetz and resuming trying to find the front and back of a hotmat I wanted to be able to use on my kitchen table this winter. Can't find the components because didn't note in my quilting journal where I was storing the project, so it's wrapped in muslin (and hopefully tagged) in one of about a dozen shallow wire bins in some bin-rack upstairs. If I'd had even my old iPad mini fired up and in the pocket of my smock when I stashed these things I'd have a clue, but no, so it's a grand mess I've been making this morning looking for this stuff. At least I'm quite sure they are stashed together. See ya Monday lol.

where oh where lol.jpg

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s now been so long since the next os was announced, I’ve totally forgotten if there was anything exciting coming on Monday. Anyone remember what they’re looking forward to?
Yeah this happens every year lol. I don’t remember anything either. I might have to rewatch WWDC.

D

Deleted member 215

iOS 15 is probably the most boring iOS update since iOS began. There's a new way of organizing/silencing notifications and that's all I can remember. Everything else was to do with FaceTime collaboration (a.k.a. Apple's answer to Zoom) which I'll never use.

Top Bottom
1 2