Crowdstrike screwup destroys commerce

Some of these memes are gold.
7vpwsj195hdd1.jpeg

We're going in September. Think they will have this rebooted by then? :ROFLMAO:

Got to work this morning and found that the internet was down for the whole company (world). I couldn't really do my job since I need node npm and that always connects to the internet. Of course I'm using macOS so saying it didn't affect Mac is pretty wrong. Not affected directly but the whole business world runs on Windows (alas).
I wasn't affected at all at work. Our non-technical staff is on Windows, but everything that matters is on macOS, Linux or FreeBSD. All websites and network services I needed run just fine

I wasn't affected at all at work. Our non-technical staff is on Windows, but everything that matters is on macOS, Linux or FreeBSD. All websites and network services I needed run just fine
The (world) thing was hyperbole but I have to say trying to be a developer in the modern world without internet is quite painful. I don't know what part of the IT infrastructure here uses CrowdStrike (I'm a contractor with my own equipment) but no one had internet. If I had known, I could have brought my iPad and tethered to that but my iPhone tethering is severely throttled.

Well… I finished work early on Friday afternoon here in Aus because of this. So that was a bonus. Was fun reading teams chat before everyone’s work computer spat the dummy. People were dropping like flies. Although because I’m working remotely, I now have to fix this myself before Monday…

From my travels today.

Attachments

• IMG_5399.jpeg
    IMG_5399.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5397.jpeg
    IMG_5397.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 22
Aren't there some planes that have MS Windows systems controlling them? I though I read that the first issues with the Boeing MAX jets was due to a bug in the MS software.
I tried to search for this and found that the 737 MAX has indeed had problems with windows... its physical window frames, that is. :D

If they did use Windows in some of the systems onboard that plane, even with all the regulatory issues with the 737 MAX, I expect that the safety critical avionics are all airgapped so no network comms are possible, and the software image loaded into each system is extremely controlled. They likely would not even be running something like Crowdstrike.

We are a Windows shop at work and we were unaffected. Then again we don’t use Crowdstrike, and all our important stuff is behind a taclane.

If I was in charge of a company's IT department, the number of servers running a MS product would be none of them. It just dumbfounds me that professionals would use a MS system in any server when there are good, practical alternatives.

If I was in charge of a company's IT department, the number of servers running a MS product would be none of them. It just dumbfounds me that professionals would use a MS system in any server when there are good, practical alternatives.
So Windows is okay where there aren’t any good practical alternatives?

Wow, is that real?
Yep. Laguardia airport, Terminal C.

It was a complete nightmare. You had to wait on line just to figure out what gate you needed, because a lot of the airline apps didn’t even work, most of the display boards didn’t work, etc.

Back