Crowdstrike screwup destroys commerce

I can't imagine what happened behind the scenes to end up pushing untested changes to billions of devices at once, with no phased release (on a Friday, no less!). At that scale, you must phase the releases and monitor them. Getting such a critical thing wrong is miles worse than having a bad privilege system in your OS.
In relation to your Anti-Malware thread:

It's unlikely that the anti-malware is written by people dumb enough to send that information in plain text over the internet

This was close! 🙃

Hey did we crash your system and cause billions in global damage? … at least you can get a $10 Uber Eats gift card!

Additional reports point toward some or all of the vouchers having already been canceled, with the message spat back to parties saying the gift card has "been canceled by the issuing party and is no longer valid."

Maybe. Maybe you get a gift card.

How can we blame the EU?

Delta Airlines is pissed:

The CEO of Delta Air Lines lashed out at cyber security firm CrowdStrike and software provider Microsoft for the computer problems that resulted in a five-day service meltdown he said cost the airline $500 million.

“They haven’t offered us anything. Free consulting advice to help us,” said Ed Bastian in an interview Wednesday on CNBC, when asked about how much compensation CrowdStrike and Microsoft have offered the company.

Delta has yet to file a lawsuit against either CrowdStrike or Microsoft, but a person familiar with its actions confirmed to CNN on Tuesday that it had hired the law firm of high-profile attorney David Boies to pursue compensation from the two companies.

It will be interesting to see if they get any money out of Crowdstrike or MS. It was a mistake and a costly one, not necessarily a bug they knew about internally but failed to patch.

More likely Delta will threaten and posture to dump MS for containers or linux based applications. Bring MS to the table and use it as a negotiating tactic for some multi-year discount on some MS product line(s).

It will be interesting to see if they get any money out of Crowdstrike or MS.

Already starting to see ads from Attorney's asking if you have been affected and they may be able to get you compensation.

Already starting to see ads from Attorney's asking if you have been affected and they may be able to get you compensation.

i *am* an attorney who *was* affected, and even I am not seeking compensation.

I do predict that some big companies will be suing MS and CrowdStrike, though.

OT but we recently got a letter from attorneys possibly seeking a class action for damages from our builders. They asked us to nitpick every little thing and send it to them, my wife was like "ooh let's do it" and I'm 100% against it, I mean our house has been great overall with a few little things here and there that come with a new build but in no way justifies litigation. Almost seems like they're ambulance chasers.

i *am* an attorney who *was* affected, and even I am not seeking compensation.
But imagine you were going on vacation and your flights were cancelled and you missed the first couple of days at a resort or a cruise with @Eric ;) you paid for. I can certainly see lawsuits stemming from this.

I do predict that some big companies will be suing MS and CrowdStrike, though.

Just saw where investors, probably institutional, are suing them.

But imagine you were going on vacation and your flights were cancelled and you missed the first couple of days at a resort or a cruise with @Eric ;) you paid for. I can certainly see lawsuits stemming from this.
That’s exactly what happened to me. I was supposed to visit my dad in North Carolina for 3 days between a trip to NY and a trip to Pittsburgh. Because of Crowdstrike, I couldn’t get a plane to North Carolina until I had to be in Pittsburgh for work. So I skipped that leg of the trip.

I ain’t suing anyone.

Back