Drone Photography

mack

Reaction score
@mack What do you use, make/model-wise?

I've got a fancy new Mini 3 now! Before that I had the original Mavic Air, but it's getting really hard to find batteries for it (I don't like how quickly DJI stops supporting their products) and I left mine dead for too long so I needed new ones.

It's kind of funny, the new Mini 3 is super lightweight and tiny and very quiet in the air. But the controller is huge! The Mavic Air weighs way more (though pretty similar in size), but you can fly it with just your phone and no controller! It even has a few flight modes where you can fly it without even a phone, just hand signals. So despite the new one being way smaller you actually have to carry more bulk and weight to fly it!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I've got a fancy new Mini 3 now! Before that I had the original Mavic Air, but it's getting really hard to find batteries for it (I don't like how quickly DJI stops supporting their products) and I left mine dead for too long so I needed new ones.

Autel does the same thing. :(

These companies either need to keep supporting their products longer or start licensing 3rd parties to be able to service them.

davidhinksan

Reaction score
To make your photos stand out from the current influx of drone photos, you’ll need to be deliberate. “The best drone shots take advantage of the unique compositions you wouldn’t get [otherwise], while adhering to the principles for what makes a great photograph,” says Schwindt. Thoughtful composition and consideration of light will take a photo beyond the initial aerial-view “wow” factor and make it a quality photo in its own right. “You have to understand why you’re using it,” says videographer Dominic Duchesneau. “Ask yourself: ‘What is it doing to add to the story I’m trying to tell?’”

Try using Google Earth to scout your location so you can start planning what kind of photos you want to get. Look at other photographers’ work or photos taken at the same location. This can help you visualize the scene before you take flight. You can also collect inspiration from western mass drones.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
After doing quite a bit more research on this, I have found that what I can do legally is much more broad than I originally thought. In my state I'll need the proper license, which I can get online, and knowing the ins and outs of each location, ceiling limits, etc.

Many of my preferred locations are still off limits but I am able to find nice alternatives and the cropping ability of the 20 MP Hasselblad will give me plenty of opportunities I think. I still have the concern about being discreet with it because I don't want to worry other people, just have to read your surroundings but I'll be careful about that.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
After doing quite a bit more research on this, I have found that what I can do legally is much more broad than I originally thought. In my state I'll need the proper license, which I can get online, and knowing the ins and outs of each location, ceiling limits, etc.

Many of my preferred locations are still off limits but I am able to find nice alternatives and the cropping ability of the 20 MP Hasselblad will give me plenty of opportunities I think. I still have the concern about being discreet with it because I don't want to worry other people, just have to read your surroundings but I'll be careful about that.

That sounds great!

I assume you have to be a certain distance and altitude from airports.

How about coastlines/beaches, say Ocean Beach?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That sounds great!

I assume you have to be a certain distance and altitude from airports.

How about coastlines/beaches, say Ocean Beach?
Right, you have to know what flight paths are and remain a certain distance, they have a geo map that will show you exactly where you can and can't fly, just find your city and go. Looks like Ocean Beach and a lot of the coastline is open for the most part, just have to know what the ceiling is and flight paths. The software will only allow it if it's open as I understand it, still learning more.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Turns out that if you really want to be able to do anything legally you really need to be a certified drone pilot for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Part 107), so I've scheduled and payed for the exam next week. This will allow you to fly at night, sell photos taken with the drone, fly over people and traffic, etc. and all of it is on the up and up, looks like an involved exam so I'll be studying hard over the next few days. Rules are tight but you can understand why, I want to start out right here.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Turns out that if you really want to be able to do anything legally you really need to be a certified drone pilot for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Part 107), so I've scheduled and payed for the exam next week. This will allow you to fly at night, sell photos taken with the drone, fly over people and traffic, etc. and all of it is on the up and up, looks like an involved exam so I'll be studying hard over the next few days. Rules are tight but you can understand why, I want to start out right here.
Sounds great!

Would that also allow you to sell services, say making drone photos of properties for real estate agents?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sounds great!

Would that also allow you to sell services, say making drone photos of properties for real estate agents?
Yes, it's required for any sort of sales or public events. The way I understand it is unless you're just flying for your own personal entertainment in a really private unpopulated area you must have this thing, plus you can get hefty fines.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes, it's required for any sort of sales or public events. The way I understand it is unless you're just flying for your own personal entertainment in a really private unpopulated area you must have this thing, plus you can get hefty fines.

Does that mean you have unrestricted access to populated areas you otherwise would not have (of course airport distance/altitude restrictions would still apply)?

I suppose if that's true you'd want some kind of liability insurance policy - would that be a requirement for the above?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Does that mean you have unrestricted access to populated areas you otherwise would not have (of course airport distance/altitude restrictions would still apply)?

I suppose if that's true you'd want some kind of liability insurance policy - would that be a requirement for the above?
That is correct but you have to watch the rules closely, fortunately the app will automatically detect things. For example, airplane paths are strictly forbidden no matter who you are, then there are events where they'll restrict airspace for a period of time, such as the sporting event, etc.

Before you make your flight you tell the app the path and then you get approval or told you cannot. At the same time you can purchase insurance for that flight, lots of options but you need a fundamental understanding of all the rules around it.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
That is correct but you have to watch the rules closely, fortunately the app will automatically detect things. For example, airplane paths are strictly forbidden no matter who you are, then there are events where they'll restrict airspace for a period of time, such as the sporting event, etc.

Before you make your flight you tell the app the path and then you get approval or told you cannot. At the same time you can purchase insurance for that flight, lots of options but you need a fundamental understanding of all the rules around it.
I am sure going over populated neighborhoods, you encounter just about everything...

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Parked right next to a cop near a popular landmark because it felt safer, it's a well known spot for muggings. He just watched and waved as I left after the flight. The other thing I noticed is that it flat out will not take off if the area is restricted, so I think as long as you use common sense otherwise it's pretty safe to do.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Parked right next to a cop near a popular landmark because it felt safer, it's a well known spot for muggings. He just watched and waved as I left after the flight. The other thing I noticed is that it flat out will not take off if the area is restricted, so I think as long as you use common sense otherwise it's pretty safe to do.

That is DJI. You can get it opened up if you request it and have gotten the appropriate permissions from the FAA via LAANC.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That is DJI. You can get it opened up if you request it and have gotten the appropriate permissions from the FAA via LAANC.
Right, and I may end up requesting if necessary but for now I'm going to steer clear of anything unauthorized and keep my nose clean. They have reasons for restricting airspace and I suspect they know what they're doing.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Still enjoying all the new opportunities this is providing, angles and views you could ever only get from a helicopter but the camera is nothing like a FF mirrorless or DSLR, even in the best quality they have to offer for this unit. Low light photography is my favorite style and the fact that I obviously cannot use a tripod and the smaller sensor makes it a struggle, I'm definitely forced to sacrifice quality for the shots I want. It's a trade off that I'm still working with to find a balance. However, daytime shots are fantastic.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Maybe a larger and more powerful drone someday?
Perhaps, I want to learn with what I have for now and try to adapt. I'm getting workable images but am really used to the high quality of the mirrorless so I'm sure I'm a bit spoiled. We also have to consider that no matter how great the camera and drone are that they're always in motion so that will always be a struggle in low light conditions, one thing I've also been doing is bracketing my exposures in sets of three and that will always increase your odds.

Top Bottom
1 2