Electric Vehicles: General topics

I know I bust on Musk but I honestly do respect him for starting such a successful company and I love driving his cars. Not a fan of some of his Twitter exploits or that he seems to be a one man show but aside from that he seems okay.

CE3B0EB0-9598-4A0D-8789-98C6669C9195.png

Neat latest Tesla app update provides charging stats. Reveals despite being parked for the past month( new job, been away training), car still uses juice. Only cost a dollar though.

That's a lot of energy for an idle car. About 4-5% of my household's monthly use.

Granted I did drive it once consuming 4 Kwh.

The remaining 7 is probably a mix of battery management keeping the battery in an acceptable temperature range in the cold days we have been having, me updating the car with OTA updates, etc.

That's a lot of energy for an idle car. About 4-5% of my household's monthly use.
$1 for a month seems more than reasonable just to keep it topped off.

Okay, I'll jump in here too... I've made a few long trips. :mrgreen: But love the comparison with gas prices.

Also added the cost per KW, it's wrong because I'm getting it at .09 I just need to let it know.

IMG_4246.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4245.png
    IMG_4245.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 37
Hmm. Not seeing this in the app. Where is it?
Did you get the latest update? I had to grab it manually just a little bit ago. Then you'll see Charge Stats on the main screen.

IMG_4247.png

I did grab the latest. Version 4.5.1. No such thing on my app. Maybe my car is just too old.
There's some speculation that the feature may not be rolled out to everyone just yet but that's the same version I have. Here's some discussion on it over at Reddit

This is interesting. So supercharging is $0.39 per kWh? Electrify America is $0.43 for guest charging and $0.31 for member charging with a $4 monthly member fee and there's a 10 min grace period then $0.41/min for hogging the charger. If you can charge at home and have a separate car for roadtrips, charging costs don't matter much. But I think only Tesla's network is reliable and dense enough to enable roadtrips.

This is interesting. So supercharging is $0.39 per kWh? Electrify America is $0.43 for guest charging and $0.31 for member charging with a $4 monthly member fee and there's a 10 min grace period then $0.41/min for hogging the charger. If you can charge at home and have a separate car for roadtrips, charging costs don't matter much. But I think only Tesla's network is reliable and dense enough to enable roadtrips.

Right, we're going to use it for a road trip in the spring and plan the stops along the way. I'm also going to subscribe to FSD for a month during that time, so it should be pretty fun overall. The superchargers are spendy but they're also really fast, I can just hit it for a few minutes on my drives from Sacramento to the bay area and that's all I need to get home. It's almost the equivalent of stopping for gas.

Right, we're going to use it for a road trip in the spring and plan the stops along the way. I'm also going to subscribe to FSD for a month during that time, so it should be pretty fun overall. The superchargers are spendy but they're also really fast, I can just hit it for a few minutes on my drives from Sacramento to the bay area and that's all I need to get home. It's almost the equivalent of stopping for gas.
On by east cost trip, one thing really impressed me: never ever having to wait in cue to get Supercharging. In contrast, DC fast chargers are really unreliably and of high demand, so unless EA has 5-8 DC fast chargers lined up each site every 5 miles, it's no competition for Tesla...for now. That said, I have 2 free DC fast chargers in my neighborhood, but can't really charge at my new house. At our current milage, 1 full charge would easily last 4-6 weeks. But if I buy a 2nd car, it has to be able to do roadtrips so even if I think Ioniq 5 appears to be a substantially better car than the TM3, I think the end experience will be defined by Tesla having a substantially better charging network.

This is the duality of the eSUV. It doesn't matter much how much space you have in the car for a 10 minute city errand, and the range doesn't matter there anyway. But space starts mattering for trips >1 hour, and then the range suddenly becomes a limitation too.

On by east cost trip, one thing really impressed me: never ever having to wait in cue to get Supercharging. In contrast, DC fast chargers are really unreliably and of high demand, so unless EA has 5-8 DC fast chargers lined up each site every 5 miles, it's no competition for Tesla...for now. That said, I have 2 free DC fast chargers in my neighborhood, but can't really charge at my new house. At our current milage, 1 full charge would easily last 4-6 weeks. But if I buy a 2nd car, it has to be able to do roadtrips so even if I think Ioniq 5 appears to be a substantially better car than the TM3, I think the end experience will be defined by Tesla having a substantially better charging network.

This is the duality of the eSUV. It doesn't matter much how much space you have in the car for a 10 minute city errand, and the range doesn't matter there anyway. But space starts mattering for trips >1 hour, and then the range suddenly becomes a limitation too.
Bummer you can't charge at home but I've noticed in the bay area it's the same way, especially in densely populated areas where they have to park on the street and there is no shortage of Teslas. There are so many chargers available that you get to pretty much choose when and where to stop and they're fast enough that you can top off in minutes in most cases.

Something else I've learned that's comforting is that even if you're outside of populated areas there are chargers everywhere, maybe a little slower but they'll work in a pinch to get you where you need to go. I just make sure I have my adapter handy at all times.

SC costs vary based on location and in some places time of day. It used to be much cheaper (overall) but costs have gone up.

View attachment 11380

Neat latest Tesla app update provides charging stats. Reveals despite being parked for the past month( new job, been away training), car still uses juice. Only cost a dollar though.

Nice, yeah, grabbed the 4.5.1 got the stats now too.

Just a general FYI (maybe for @Eric), sometimes there's not a notification of a new version of the app - you can do a "manual" (like mentioned below), by searching for the app, opening the app info page, and from there you get the update button.

Clearly, some of the 3rd party analytic type apps provide more details, but Tesla is starting to catch up with some good, basic usage data for folks who don't want to use a different solution.

I need to get my 75 kWh so I can start getting gas comparisons. I was able to simple select Florida >> FPL for my power provider and it plugged in the rate. :cool:

Hahaha, I plugged in my Other rate as $0.00 since all our known destinations are free :D

Last edited:

After seeing the BS from Republicans in Congress and Senator Manchin (and some on this forum) against putting EV chargers everywhere, I can understand why Tesla didn’t wait for them to be built by others or the government. It’s pretty pathetic that we don’t have 3 regular chargers (or more) for every Tesla charger out there. Thanks, big oil.

I believe this is the #1 reason that Tesla is eating everybody else’s lunch in the EV market right now.

Back