Electric Vehicles: General topics

Ahh, I hadn't even read this yet (mostly since I'm following pretty casually since we're probably 2 years out):

Key takeaways:

• Rivian is pushing back production of its R1T and R1S with the biggest Max battery pack to 2023.
  • Models equipped with the Explore package also won't see production until 2023.
  • All 2022 Rivian trucks and SUVs out in the coming year will be equipped with the Large battery pack and the Adventure package.

I think 2023 is going to be pretty exciting for EVs, startups reasonably well established (or not), supply chains opening up, major players real commitment in place (or clearly being left behind).

I can't believe in a few months we'll have owned our first xEV for a year!

After seeing the BS from Republicans in Congress and Senator Manchin (and some on this forum) against putting EV chargers everywhere, I can understand why Tesla didn’t wait for them to be built by others or the government. It’s pretty pathetic that we don’t have 3 regular chargers (or more) for every Tesla charger out there. Thanks, big oil.

I believe this is the #1 reason that Tesla is eating everybody else’s lunch in the EV market right now.
Are you fkn kidding me? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess he didn't say shit about a bunch of filthy gas stations everywhere taking up 20 times the space. We need to primary this turd.

Last edited:
Are you fkn kidding me? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess he didn't say shit about a bunch of filthy gas stations everywhere taking up 20 times the space. We need to primary this turd.

No way that is going to happen. It simply isn't. Sorry.

And if you do primary him, you will lose in the General. He is there until he decides he is done.

No way that is going to happen. It simply isn't. Sorry.

And if you do primary him, you will lose in the General. He is there until he decides he is done.
^ Hey, if it's anyone I trust it's the word of a person who only watches Fox News, it was with this same fervor Republicans said Trump would win. Thank you for your well rounded and unbiased opinion.

@SuperMatt, @Eric. Secondary to local pollution, coal is way more expensive than its price tag implies and we don't even have to dive into the complexities of climate change, just the prevalence and cost of lung disease. It's sad that these facts are politicized, but they are and while I share the concerns mentioned here, can we avoid politics in this thread?

All the different articles talking about this, I learned a few really cool things about the BMW i3, including they sold 200K over the life of the vehicle:

All the different articles talking about this, I learned a few really cool things about the BMW i3, including they sold 200K over the life of the vehicle:

It was time to discontinue it... It's a brilliant city cruiser at <$16K for warmer climate states with narrow streets. It beats most other cars 0-30, it can almost do a 180 degree turn to the adjacent lane and the suicide doors are convenient to pack your kids in without breaking your back in the process. But BMW asking $60K for it anew has been a joke from day #1.

^ Hey, if it's anyone I trust it's the word of a person who only watches Fox News, it was with this same fervor Republicans said Trump would win. Thank you for your well rounded and unbiased opinion.

I will acquiesce to @P_X 's wishes and keep politics out of this thread.

I actually like keeping this thread to more technical, usage, model, etc., discussions, there's probably enough politics in EV talk to make a dedicated thread :)

Holy smokes!

Koenigsegg's Tiny Electric Motor Makes 335 HP and 443 LB-FT of Torque​

Dubbed the Quark, the motor weighs just 63 pounds.

bc5cf8435a73e13c-org-1643642969.jpg

(note that's a short term peak, but still very impressive)

Stupid Tesla Tricks Vol I

So prior to the '21 models, and I think it may have been like '19, they revised the rear deck, the platform behind the rear seats. It used to be open to the trunk, with a speaker type grill over it, this was to open up the trunk mount sub, allowed much more low frequency in the cabin - and now it's solid to reduce road noise. Well, a guy with a later model, cut his out, made a nice cover, and used a sound RTA meter and showed how much more low freq was present, and also said that folding down the rear seat(s) does the same.

Yep. :D

Put the seats down, throw on some music, dial up the sub, wow, hahaha, it's like I added a 20" sub to the trunk. :D FWIW, this will also amplify the rear motor sounds which is pretty fun.

Also found out about a secret diagnostics mode - hold the word TESLA in the software menu for ~10 seconds you get a prompt to enter Access Code, one of them is 'dynotest' which throws up a huge message, and disables all stability/safety controls, basically anything that might limit the full output so you can get a max dyno reading.

Speaking of dynos, while the car is sort of spec'ed at 450HP, several dynoes (in dyno mode :D), showed it was more like 470-480 at the __wheels__ :oops: One test even showed 522AWHP with a 95% charge, wow.

Stupid Tesla Tricks Vol I

So prior to the '21 models, and I think it may have been like '19, they revised the rear deck, the platform behind the rear seats. It used to be open to the trunk, with a speaker type grill over it, this was to open up the trunk mount sub, allowed much more low frequency in the cabin - and now it's solid to reduce road noise. Well, a guy with a later model, cut his out, made a nice cover, and used a sound RTA meter and showed how much more low freq was present, and also said that folding down the rear seat(s) does the same.

Yep. :D

Put the seats down, throw on some music, dial up the sub, wow, hahaha, it's like I added a 20" sub to the trunk. :D FWIW, this will also amplify the rear motor sounds which is pretty fun.

Also found out about a secret diagnostics mode - hold the word TESLA in the software menu for ~10 seconds you get a prompt to enter Access Code, one of them is 'dynotest' which throws up a huge message, and disables all stability/safety controls, basically anything that might limit the full output so you can get a max dyno reading.

Speaking of dynos, while the car is sort of spec'ed at 450HP, several dynoes (in dyno mode :D), showed it was more like 470-480 at the __wheels__ :oops: One test even showed 522AWHP with a 95% charge, wow.

What do they make without dynomode engaged? Or is this like Samsung and others where the phone is able to recognize it is running geekbench so gives extra power for good test results, but the user in real tasks is unable to utilize.....

Or VW able to know when the car is doing an emissions test.......

What do they make without dynomode engaged? Or is this like Samsung and others where the phone is able to recognize it is running geekbench so gives extra power for good test results, but the user in real tasks is unable to utilize.....

Or VW able to know when the car is doing an emissions test.......

It just disables traction controls, people monitor max motor outputs, etc., and everything is within the expected range. On rollers, you can get enough slip for the ECU to retard timing a bit (on an ICE vehicle), I've seen 25-30 HP gained from just pulling a fuse.

And some of the 470-480 range didn't even use (or didn't mention using) that mode, and some are pretty notable sources for objective data. :)

It just disables traction controls, people monitor max motor outputs, etc., and everything is within the expected range. On rollers, you can get enough slip for the ECU to retard timing a bit (on an ICE vehicle), I've seen 25-30 HP gained from just pulling a fuse.

And some of the 470-480 range didn't even use (or didn't mention using) that mode, and some are pretty notable sources for objective data. :)
Even with dynomode at least the Plaid S has proven fairly temperamental. I think the only way to get true power from them is on an axle dyno, I have not seen anyone show the 1020hp on wheels. IIRC there is a video of the car putting down near 1100 hp.

Decided to subscribe to FSD for a month and used it on a trip yesterday, lane changing is the biggest benefit that I can see. Navigation is all over the place, it was not able to take me to a single destination without a bunch of alerts and warnings, then it would fight me to actually get in the lane it was telling me to turn from.

These weren't hard destinations either, basically just right off the free way with maybe two turns. This thing is freaking terrible and I feel like I dodged a bullet by not actually purchasing it, they do make the claim that it's in beta but this thing is nowhere near ready from prime time.

Decided to subscribe to FSD for a month and used it on a trip yesterday, lane changing is the biggest benefit that I can see. Navigation is all over the place, it was not able to take me to a single destination without a bunch of alerts and warnings, then it would fight me to actually get in the lane it was telling me to turn from.

These weren't hard destinations either, basically just right off the free way with maybe two turns. This thing is freaking terrible and I feel like I dodged a bullet by not actually purchasing it, they do make the claim that it's in beta but this thing is nowhere near ready from prime time.

Did you only use it on the highway or try to go on local roads?

FSD is only "capable" of basic highway functions. Once it takes the off ramp, it is no longer able to navigate for you. The FSD Beta Beta is testing out the navigate on autopilot on city streets function. But regular branch, navigate on autopilot is only for highways.

That was sorta my experience. I'll add though that the car shifting lanes really scared me, especially the part when it "fights you" when you wanna override.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you only use it on the highway or try to go on local roads?

FSD is only "capable" of basic highway functions. Once it takes the off ramp, it is no longer able to navigate for you. The FSD Beta Beta is testing out the navigate on autopilot on city streets function. But regular branch, navigate on autopilot is only for highways.
Yes, I tried on both. It was only able to take the offramp one time out of 4 attempts. The other 3 times it put me in the wrong lane or wouldn't move me over automatically, I had to break out of it to take over. Once on the city street I expected that I would have to take over but it fought me on sudden lane changes as if it were still trying to drive itself, so I had to drop navigation entirely, presumably because it's set to FSD to automatic on navigation.

It's confusing and buggy but the automatic lane changing on the freeway worked great. Based on this experience there's no way I would ever purchase it. I'll keep using it throughout the month and playing with it though.

Yes, I tried on both. It was only able to take the offramp one time out of 4 attempts. The other 3 times it put me in the wrong lane or wouldn't move me over automatically, I had to break out of it to take over. Once on the city street I expected that I would have to take over but it fought me on sudden lane changes as if it were still trying to drive itself, so I had to drop navigation entirely, presumably because it's set to FSD to automatic on navigation.

It's confusing and buggy but the automatic lane changing on the freeway worked great. Based on this experience there's no way I would ever purchase it. I'll keep using it throughout the month and playing with it though.
In my experience in driving around in NY/NJ, the navigation doesn't know which exact lanes to take most of the time, especially if there are 3 or more lanes. Which takes us to, if the nav doesn't know, how would autopilot know it. Tesla's navigation is years behind.

Back