Electric Vehicles: General topics

I’m disturbed that beta software that is fighting drivers over which lane to drive in is legal and currently in use.

We need laws to regulate all forms of automated driving, ASAP.

Yes, I tried on both. It was only able to take the offramp one time out of 4 attempts. The other 3 times it put me in the wrong lane or wouldn't move me over automatically, I had to break out of it to take over. Once on the city street I expected that I would have to take over but it fought me on sudden lane changes as if it were still trying to drive itself, so I had to drop navigation entirely, presumably because it's set to FSD to automatic on navigation.

It's confusing and buggy but the automatic lane changing on the freeway worked great. Based on this experience there's no way I would ever purchase it. I'll keep using it throughout the month and playing with it though.
On City streets it shouldn’t be doing anything more than lane keeping. (unless you got into the Navigate on Cit’s Streets beta)

My current Charge Stats show $9 total spent with a gas equivalent of $63 (i.e., savings of $54, and that's a pretty short timespan).

One contributor is my operating network of free power (and tasty parking) :D

Me and my MYP charging buddy :cool:

66577060582__ABDFB6FD-0FB3-4369-B34E-7C88BB9E3D9B.jpeg

Had to travel farther than usual this weekend, near the edge of the vehicle’s range for the trip. I used Plugshare and found a free charger a short walk from my desired destination. When I got there, it was definitely a free charger, and in good working order!

Me and my MYP charging buddy :cool:

And WTF, the MYP has a 255/275 combo and the M3P has a 235 at all four corners, really should've had a 245/265 at a minimum.

Current plan: 255/35 on all corners, 5mm spacer on the rear, finally use my killer extended lugs I've had sitting here for like 6 months ...

Yeah, I've had this issue a few times over the past month. Just have to keep pre heating the car. Eventually it will open.

Another example of poor Tesla engineering

This could be interesting. Seems Dodge wants some customer input on a new EV Truck.

So far Ford is the closest with an EV Truck that actual truck buyers will want. Need to see more on the Chevy but it has to be ahead of the Tesla no matter how bad it might be.

And every other car maker, I'm all for calling out Tesla but you seem to want to actually single them out unfairly.

Here you go, choose your make and model:
Unfair?

There are a constant stream of issues stemming from the lack of proper testing on these cars.

Do we need to go into the widespread heat pump failures? Or the fact that the auto wipers and high beams don’t work properly?

Last edited:
Yes

There are a constant stream of issues stemming from the lack of proper testing on these cars.

Do we need to go into the widespread heat pump failures? Or the fact that the auto wipers and high beams don’t work properly?
As there are for many cars, yet we only hear you lashing out at Tesla for some reason. You are an owner, is that right?

Unfair?

Do we need to go into the widespread heat pump failure issues? Or the fact that the auto wipers and high beams simply don’t work properly?
I think Tesla has been great in some areas, but subpar in others. They could have made their luxury-priced car into an actual luxury car by sweating those small details of build quality. As it stands, they have left an opening for the other luxury brands to assert themselves in the high-end EV market.

Going against conventional wisdom helped them in many ways, but hurt them in others. For example, the Model X had those DeLorean-style doors, which ended up being unpopular in actual use. If you look at their Model X page on their website now, they don’t have a single picture of the car with its doors open. I also think the decision to eschew knobs and dials for essential functions and put them all on a big touch-screen is a huge user interface error.

It seems to me these “cool” door handles (which are more prone to freezing than other door handles for sure) are yet another unforced error - something that they “re-thought” that didn’t really need to be re-thought. I am actually surprised they didn’t literally reinvent the wheels on their cars.

As there are for many cars, yet we only hear you lashing out at Tesla for some reason. You are an owner, is that right?
I’ve never owned something this expensive where basic things like auto high beams or auto wipers have a kind of mind of their own because some idiot decided AI was better than a cheap little rain sensor.

But yes, please keep crying about criticism towards Tesla being unfair!

Attachments

• 87D332F1-7557-49A6-AE58-4CDD0D04EFAD.jpeg
    87D332F1-7557-49A6-AE58-4CDD0D04EFAD.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 38
I’ve never owned something this expensive where basic things like auto high beams or auto wipers have a kind of mind of their own because some idiot decided AI was better than a cheap little rain sensor.

But yes, please keep crying about criticism towards Tesla being unfair!
As I am about the fact that it can have things like basic cruise control without all the AI, but I knowingly purchased a car based on AI while understanding its shortcomings. Why in the world would you buy a vehicle for that kind of money when you despise it so much?

I think Tesla has been great in some areas, but subpar in others. They could have made their luxury-priced car into an actual luxury car by sweating those small details of build quality. As it stands, they have left an opening for the other luxury brands to assert themselves in the high-end EV market.

Going against conventional wisdom helped them in many ways, but hurt them in others. For example, the Model X had those DeLorean-style doors, which ended up being unpopular in actual use. If you look at their Model X page on their website now, they don’t have a single picture of the car with its doors open. I also think the decision to eschew knobs and dials for essential functions and put them all on a big touch-screen is a huge user interface error.

It seems to me these “cool” door handles (which are more prone to freezing than other door handles for sure) are yet another unforced error - something that they “re-thought” that didn’t really need to be re-thought. I am actually surprised they didn’t literally reinvent the wheels on their cars.
Yeah, this is spot on.

There are so many things that they do well (SC network, iOS app, powertrain calibration, performance, utilization of space are just a few examples), but when you get to the issues, some of them are just annoying and people want to act like that they don't exist.

Off the top of my head, we have: hit-or-miss build quality, vision-only AP that doesn't work, widespread heat pump failures, frozen door handles/stuck doors, broken auto high-beams/wipers, long service wait times (I just opened the app and the next appointment is nearly 2-3 weeks out), and poor customer service (it took nearly 3 months to get registration for the car and they only started the process AFTER the temp tags expired and I kept calling to ask what happened)

To play a little devils advocate and I think it plays towards @Eric point in that, yes Tesla has issues. But they all do in some form or fashion. BUT I will not try to diminish the issues that Tesla have on their hands. They are legit issues. Especially the heat pump issues.

But Camaro forums are littered with people who had issues with the 8 speed speed automatic, lifters failing on the LT1 V8, oil pump failures on the LT4, poor paint, the rear diff groaning when cold( mine did this), and quality issues such as the headliner popping lose( mine exhibited this, replaced, and occurred again). Ford had issues with Coyote's ticking on the 2018 Mustangs, the Voodoo loved to burn oil and a few other issues, etc.

My issue isn't calling Tesla out on them cause they should be called out. Yet the issues other automakers face don't get much attention as Tesla's issues does. That is what can irk me and I think is what Eric was getting at.

To play a little devils advocate and I think it plays towards @Eric point in that, yes Tesla has issues. But they all do in some form or fashion. BUT I will not try to diminish the issues that Tesla have on their hands. They are legit issues. Especially the heat pump issues.

But Camaro forums are littered with people who had issues with the 8 speed speed automatic, lifters failing on the LT1 V8, oil pump failures on the LT4, poor paint, the rear diff groaning when cold( mine did this), and quality issues such as the headliner popping lose( mine exhibited this, replaced, and occurred again). Ford had issues with Coyote's ticking on the 2018 Mustangs, the Voodoo loved to burn oil and a few other issues, etc.

My issue isn't calling Tesla out on them cause they should be called out. Yet the issues other automakers face don't get much attention as Tesla's issues does. That is what can irk me and I think is what Eric was getting at.
It reminds me of iPhone. When a new model has any issue, no matter how minor, it becomes a huge story because Apple is the top dog. Same for Tesla when it comes to EVs. They are the market leader in the segment, so they will be viewed with more scrutiny.

I also think the decision to eschew knobs and dials for essential functions and put them all on a big touch-screen is a huge user interface error.
Tesla is not alone in this. Mercedes basically chased my parents out of their S-Class because of that stupid control knob neither could work.

Well said. I also had a lot of issues with my BMW that were worthy of calling out and I've done so on here (and other places) a few times but I still enjoyed the car overall. IMO someone like @P_X who has driven it and is contemplating buying one is taking his time to make the right decision while being smart about it, weighting out the options, etc. and it's different than buying one and then hating it afterwards. Maybe that isn't the case but when that's all you see, that's the impression you get.

Back