Electric Vehicles: General topics

U

User.45

Unless the car has wireless charging, I don’t think wireless CarPlay is that great. I want to charge the phone while driving, not drain its battery.
Ioniq 5 does have wireless charger. That's the thing. The wireless charger and the hookup are far away. So wireless charging will have no benefit if you have to hook your phone up.

U

User.45

That is crazy…
Definitely awkward:
USB is there in the front so you can put your phoone in that bin. The wireless charger is in the armrest which can roll back and forth freely in the highest trim.
1645402724406.png

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You are aware that CR doesn't take any advertising money right?

I don't understand why Tesla fanboys have such an huge issue acknowledging great EVs from other companies. They always have to cry bias or paid advertising.

Even your savior Elon Musk has said CR is "fair and accurate"

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1001954916569579520/
People can disagree with Musk but still like the car. Your bias and hatred for Tesla really gets the best of you.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
All that bad news about gas prices...

Gas / Gas Stations being removed from your life is such a mix of weird + amazing. Especially around town, they're so prevalent, I see them constantly, it seems like something I never did, yet I used to STAY at the gas station. Granted for longer trips, there's a "fueling" logistic that has to be factored in, so that's kind of the same I suppose, but it's always such a simple thing to figure out, at least in 2022, and it's still new enough that I find it actually fun to plan (and discover new places to park :D)

At least in terms of having home charging, that's the real game changer.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Gas / Gas Stations being removed from your life is such a mix of weird + amazing.

And where you are you don't even have to deal with filling up when it is 10 degrees outside. (And no, I don't really want to hear how 40 is cold ;))

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And where you are you don't even have to deal with filling up when it is 10 degrees outside. (And no, I don't really want to hear how 40 is cold ;))

Yeah, just the whole experience: no lines, no smell, no dirty hands, no dealing with the weather (like you said). Unless you're in planning mode for a trip, you just don't think about "gassing up", do I do it now, do I wait, none of that, you just go home. Hahaha, I've even got a reminder on Tessie (3rd party app) that reminds me if I come home, and don't plugin :D (It's pretty cool, it also does stuff like checks the weather and alerts me via App/Watch if the windows are down / trunk is open).

Of course, that's the daily experience, where you're always ready to go from home, I get that if you're traveling, you might have to stop at a DCFC and maybe deal with waiting for a spot, but it's still cleaner, and you can just plugin and go grab a coffee.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was able to get one much sooner because they had the exact same model with my specs at a nearby dealership, it seems like a lot of people back out of their purchases, the only difference is the color is blue and I had to pay the extra $1000 for that.

I drove it about 80 miles in heavy traffic and got a feel for the autopilot system and all I can say is that it's worlds above and beyond the BMW system. First, it never lost the lines a single time, the BMW lost them about 1/4 of the time on this same drive. The nags are completely reasonable and I was surprised at how long until it finally kicked in and when it did, the nudge was really simple to reset. I see absolutely no need to circumvent this at all, it's clearly designed really well.

It's a pleasure to drive and was just as smooth as my 2020 5 series BMW. There are a lot of controls to learn so I'll take my time working with it although it's currently installing an update to 2021.44.25.2 and I'm not sure if it will change the screen significantly but it's probably a good time anyway as I'm still learning it.

The acceleration was shocking, man I can't see how something like that is even legal, it literally slammed my head back pinned me to the seat in a second flat and I don't think this is even the sporty version of the car, it's the long range.

So far I'm pretty amazed with all of it, it's definitely next level and I can see why there are so many on the road. Plus, I've never had an easier experience purchasing a car, took all of 20 minutes and I just picked the car up with the cards in it and my phone already paired, didn't even have to go into the dealership.
My wife and I just sold both our civics and got a used Tesla from Tesla.com. Monday, we paid the $500, applied for financing in the night, got it approved the next morning, and started signing stuff online Wednesday with a pickup on Monday - but they called us Sunday and asked if we wanted to pick it up early so we did. lol.

We got a 2018 Model 3 AWD LR (36,000 miles) with all the software upgrades (paid for by previous owner).

I've never used the full autopilot yet - just the two down presses on the shifter stalk to activate follow/lane assist. And wow... it did really well in downtown LA - which was surprising. It's shocking how much energy I put into driving (very noticeable after 20-30 mins of that driving mode - but I much prefer to drive the car on my own because we just got it).

And agreed, the acceleration is wicked. Having a Sunfire for my first car, then a Chevy Cobalt, then a 1.8L Honda Civic (2016), then 2018 Civic.... I've never had a faster than 8 second 0-60 car before. It's quite a change to go to something with a 3.7 second 0-60. It's dangerous. Amazing experience to have something that has that much command on the road. I've always driven super slow cars so I've always tried to stay out of people's way lol. My wife and I are pretty good drivers (got 45-52mpg combined on our trips in the civics) so we're driving fairly conservatively.

The LR and Performance Model 3 are extremely close in acceleration performance.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice! Blue is a nice color. Is it a '22? Red would have been my second choice, but hard to spend $2K for that. Plus the $2500 on top since I would have done the 19" wheels and white interior.

Just saw the news drop that latest deliveries/production run in N. America are getting the Ryzen and lithium 12V battery. Manage to get lucky with getting the Ryzen powered computer? Believe the way to that is in the settings-> software-> additional info.
I prefer dark grey for my cars (or black). But we really didn't have a choice as this was well within our budget for a used Tesla. Have to say it's pretty. (2018).

Haven't had this car for more than a few days so will get better pics eventually :p.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 37

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I prefer dark grey for my cars (or black). But we really didn't have a choice as this was well within our budget for a used Tesla. Have to say it's pretty. (2018).

Haven't had this car for more than a few days so will get better pics eventually :p.

Are you sure that area is for electric vehicle charging?

:LOL:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My wife and I just sold both our civics and got a used Tesla from Tesla.com. Monday, we paid the $500, applied for financing in the night, got it approved the next morning, and started signing stuff online Wednesday with a pickup on Monday - but they called us Sunday and asked if we wanted to pick it up early so we did. lol.

We got a 2018 Model 3 AWD LR (36,000 miles) with all the software upgrades (paid for by previous owner).

I've never used the full autopilot yet - just the two down presses on the shifter stalk to activate follow/lane assist. And wow... it did really well in downtown LA - which was surprising. It's shocking how much energy I put into driving (very noticeable after 20-30 mins of that driving mode - but I much prefer to drive the car on my own because we just got it).

And agreed, the acceleration is wicked. Having a Sunfire for my first car, then a Chevy Cobalt, then a 1.8L Honda Civic (2016), then 2018 Civic.... I've never had a faster than 8 second 0-60 car before. It's quite a change to go to something with a 3.7 second 0-60. It's dangerous. Amazing experience to have something that has that much command on the road. I've always driven super slow cars so I've always tried to stay out of people's way lol. My wife and I are pretty good drivers (got 45-52mpg combined on our trips in the civics) so we're driving fairly conservatively.

The LR and Performance Model 3 are extremely close in acceleration performance.
Congratulations! That's the exact same model I have and I've been loving it.

When it comes to Autopilot and FSD I would read up on the differences, it's pretty confusing overall. If it came with FSD though you'll have the ability to change lanes automatically with the blinker, outside of that there are no other real differences outside of the summon feature. In traffic the auto adaptive CC is a life saver man, makes you look forward to traffic so you can get a break lol.

Yeah man the acceleration is off the charts, I know they offer a booster but I would personally never need that. Overall it's a pleasure to drive, coming from a newer model BMW 528 I can say the comfort is comparable and the fact that I can come home and charge without ever needing to go to a gas station again is awesome. Now that gas prices are going up again you can watch the news and smugly laugh at the gas muggles.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
You mean the dudes who run around helping people out on the lot? Briefly because they ran up and asked if we needed anything, just asked a couple of questions like "wait, we can really just get in this car and drive it home?". :mrgreen:
Yeah that was the strangest thing. We drove to the Marina del Rey Tesla place, walked in, signed 3 sheets of papers (my wife and I are owners) and then they were like: "You can drive away with your car now if you want" ...... vs the 6-10 hour experience at the Honda Dealership? Wow. lol. That experience alone was the greatest experience I've ever had buying a car - hands down.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah that was the strangest thing. We drove to the Marina del Rey Tesla place, walked in, signed 3 sheets of papers (my wife and I are owners) and then they were like: "You can drive away with your car now if you want" ...... vs the 6-10 hour experience at the Honda Dealership? Wow. lol. That experience alone was the greatest experience I've ever had buying a car - hands down.
It's next level, isn't it? I didn't even need to go into the dealership, we applied, got accepted and picked the car up directly from the lot via geo-targeting, quite cool. Although we did go inside to use the bathroom because we drove for over an hour to pick it up lol.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Was talking with a former client the other day. He brokers high-end cars and is quite familiar with how dealerships work.

His thinking is that given that dealers have no inventory and really haven't for the better part of a year, that in the future, dealers are not going to stock 100+ units anymore. They are going to take orders, probably online, and then survive on used cars and service. It will be interesting for sure.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
How did you sell them? Just wondering if you used Carvana, Vroom, one of those types of services.
Carmax. We had 2 2018 Civics (mine had 54,000 miles, hers had 65,000 miles). Walked in, got both of them appraised in about 30 mins. The next day we sold my car, then right before picking up the Tesla, we sold her car. Took about 40-50 mins to sell them (each) - walked out with a check.

Got 80% of what we paid for them brand new lol.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Nice!

Yeah, we used Carvana for both of ours, which was like 95% facilitated online, not unlike how we purchased the Tesla.

*click click click*

Cars are gone.

*click click click*

Car is purchased.

Welcome to world of the future ...

2021-WDW-EPCOT-Spaceship-Earth-General-Stock-3.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, I forgot to pound my chest about our Carvana deals: DD/RT, we bought it out at the end of lease for ~$30K, turn around and sold it for $41K, Mustang GT sold for the same price I paid 2 years before (so no "profit" so to speak, but drove it for free for those two years). They were both mint, very low mileage, but an SUV in this market just tends to have way better value vs. a convertible Mustang.

Top Bottom
1 2