Electric Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, the CPO warranty being better is a funny thing, I had a Lexus that was basically new, but "pre-owned", their CPO program added 2 years to the base (so 6 total) and changed the mileage portion to unlimited, and I saved $5K vs. buying new.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Standard on the BMW is three years and 8 on the battery. I’d hope to get some of that on any purchase. For it to be honoured you have to get it serviced by them, so I guess that’s why they offer you more. They are tying you in to get it serviced with them.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I think this is a result of the media finally has an EV that is decent from an manufacture that plays ball with the media. The media before Mach E, Ioniq 5, etc pretty much had no choice to throw awards at Tesla due to it being the only EV that was worth any consideration. But Tesla doesn't toss money at them or have a PR department and has always had an adversarial relationship with the media. So the moment the media can, they will sing more praises to the friendlier automakers.
You are aware that CR doesn't take any advertising money right?

I don't understand why Tesla fanboys have such an huge issue acknowledging great EVs from other companies. They always have to cry bias or paid advertising.

Even your savior Elon Musk has said CR is "fair and accurate"

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1001954916569579520/

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
2022.4.5 is really starting to piss me off. The car just randomly looses cellular connection and won’t reconnect back to AT&T unless I do a force reboot with the steering wheel buttons. Always seems to happen after I let the car sit overnight.

Another annoying issue I’ve noticed is how the cameras have noticeable lag now. This wasn’t a problem back on v10 software.

Hahaha, geez dude, if disliked a car that much I'd just avoid driving it. Why not just give it back to your Dad, it's his car right?

U

User.45

The lack of wireless CarPlay in new cars is confounding. Either the implementation requires something that's a major issue and/or maybe there's some kind of licensing issue[?]
Licensing issue makes the most sense. To me it sounds like something software can fix and not having a solution for it today suggests there isn't gonna be one in the future, which to me impresses of lackluster software development. Something that is the bane of my existence. Like my 2015 BMW never had a software update in the 5 years I've owned it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Standard on the BMW is three years and 8 on the battery. I’d hope to get some of that on any purchase. For it to be honoured you have to get it serviced by them, so I guess that’s why they offer you more. They are tying you in to get it serviced with them.

I do that anyway. The dealers just do a better job. Wife and I joke that there is a secret bolt somewhere that they tighten every time it is serviced because it just feels "tighter" after a factory service.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Licensing issue makes the most sense. To me it sounds like something software can fix and not having a solution for it today suggests there isn't gonna be one in the future, which to me impresses of lackluster software development. Something that is the bane of my existence. Like my 2015 BMW never had a software update in the 5 years I've owned it.

Oh, and I meant to mention this in a previous post, I've seen quite a few folks, with various car models (i.e., different head unit tech, Sync, uConnect, etc.) and apparently none of the 3rd party wireless CP modules work very consistently. Some report it never worked, many report inconsistent connection issues (like rando disconnect, notable delays on initial connection when entering the vehicle), so it's not even something that's easily resolved in the aftermarket.

U

User.45

I do that anyway. The dealers just do a better job. Wife and I joke that there is a secret bolt somewhere that they tighten every time it is serviced because it just feels "tighter" after a factory service.
They inflate the tires to a higher pressure than the rec'd specs.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
Hahaha, geez dude, if disliked a car that much I'd just avoid driving it.

I don't think "dislike" is the correct word. There are just so many weird quirks that make no sense. The car on v10 was a better product.

As I've said, EVs are amazing as a daily driver and the running costs are nearly zero, especially when you look at what it costs to fill up my Audi every month.

U

User.45

Oh, and I meant to mention this in a previous post, I've seen quite a few folks, with various car models (i.e., different head unit tech, Sync, uConnect, etc.) and apparently none of the 3rd party wireless CP modules work very consistently. Some report it never worked, many report inconsistent connection issues (like rando disconnect, notable delays on initial connection when entering the vehicle), so it's not even something that's easily resolved in the aftermarket.
Yup... My next car has to have CP because that's the only guarantee that my interface will improve over time. But if I can't get it wireless, the whole thing will not be seamless.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Same, but you do pay for it. But I've tried alternatives with mixed results over the years.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
The thing is, I was looking at the Ioniq 5 and it seems like it doesn't offer wireless CarPlay for example and it requires a 3rd party dongle to fix this.

I honestly don't think you're missing much by not having wireless CarPlay. It uses so much battery that you end up plugging the phone in anyways.

What we really need to see is better CarPlay/Android Auto integration. I want to see Google Maps/Waze on the HUD or cluster. BMWs can do Apple Maps on the HUD (iDrive 7+), but who wants that?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Same, but you do pay for it. But I've tried alternatives with mixed results over the years.

Done it both ways. Used to do it on my diesel trucks, but you get a service basically every 10K miles. So for the 100K plan, you get 9-10 services. But sell it before the 100K, it is a PITA to get your couple hundred $ back. So I just pay as I go.

Did do it on my daughter's GLA so she can go get it serviced when needed and I don't have to be involved.

U

User.45

I honestly don't think you're missing much by not having wireless CarPlay. It uses so much battery that you end up plugging the phone in anyways.

What we really need to see is better CarPlay/Android Auto integration. I want to see Google Maps/Waze on the HUD or cluster. BMWs can do Apple Maps on the HUD (iDrive 7+), but who wants that?
Apple Maps came a very long way in the last 3 years. In my household, it ended up replacing google maps completely, so I'd be more than happy with it on my HUD.

I concede on the plugging in.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Done it both ways. Used to do it on my diesel trucks, but you get a service basically every 10K miles. So for the 100K plan, you get 9-10 services. But sell it before the 100K, it is a PITA to get your couple hundred $ back. So I just pay as I go.

Did do it on my daughter's GLA so she can go get it serviced when needed and I don't have to be involved.
I always pay as I go.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
You are aware that CR doesn't take any advertising money right?

I don't understand why Tesla fanboys have such an huge issue acknowledging great EVs from other companies. They always have to cry bias or paid advertising.

Even your savior Elon Musk has said CR is "fair and accurate"

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1001954916569579520/

Savior? Hardly.....

Like I said in a political thread here..... Love his vision but by god he is a horrible human being.

I am hardly a Tesla fanboy. Where did I trash the Mach E? I outright said it's a decent EV.

I am just more skeptical of the media. Even if CR doesn't take advertising money, I don't buy their views being 100% impartial. They all have agenda's.

I must be doing something right when I am being accused of fanboying here and on Tesla reddit and TMC being hated on when I call out Tesla's crappy customer service! ;)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Savior? Hardly.....

Like I said in a political thread here..... Love his vision but by god he is a horrible human being.

I am hardly a Tesla fanboy. Where did I trash the Mach E? I outright said it's a decent EV.

I am just more skeptical of the media. Even if CR doesn't take advertising money, I don't buy their views being 100% impartial. They all have agenda's.

I must be doing something right when I am being accused of fanboying here and on Tesla reddit and TMC being hated on when I call out Tesla's crappy customer service! ;)
What is Consumer Reports’ agenda?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What is Consumer Reports’ agenda?

People have been calling out CR for decades, way before Tesla existed, it was a constant on several electronics and vehicle forums I've participated in over the decades. Back in the days of the escalation of import appliances vs. the domestic players there was a whole thing with board seats, investors, etc., I'd certainly believe there's - at the very least - some bias in what they report, what they emphasize, what they exclude (i.e., it's not fabrication).

Federal bids and projects have "no bias", there's literally laws in place to prevent it - and I can tell you from first hand experience, it's highly agendized, that's how everything works, there's always a way to capitalize a position into value.

But again, per my previous comments, if we're embracing EVs for the right reason, it doesn't matter what some - either totally unbiased or possibly slightly agendized - rag says is best because of marginal X/Y/Z differences, the real takeaway shouldn't have words like "fanboy" associated with it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
People have been calling out CR for decades, way before Tesla existed, it was a constant on several electronics and vehicle forums I've participated in over the decades. Back in the days of the escalation of import appliances vs. the domestic players there was a whole thing with board seats, investors, etc., I'd certainly believe there's - at the very least - some bias in what they report, what they emphasize, what they exclude (i.e., it's not fabrication).

Federal bids and projects have "no bias", there's literally laws in place to prevent it - and I can tell you from first hand experience, it's highly agendized, that's how everything works, there's always a way to capitalize a position into value.

But again, per my previous comments, if we're embracing EVs for the right reason, it doesn't matter what some - either totally unbiased or possibly slightly agendized - rag says is best because of marginal X/Y/Z differences, the real takeaway shouldn't have words like "fanboy" associated with it.
Somebody can always disagree with CR for various reasons. But other than their stated goal of promoting public safety, I don’t see any agenda they have, especially not against any specific company. They even have a “history” with Tesla, where they pointed out a flaw, Tesla fixed it, and CR then improved Tesla’s rating.

I do believe a flaw of CR is that they aren’t very forward-looking. They gave Apple low marks at times because they were evaluating based on criteria that were years out-of-date. Perhaps they have a similar blind spot for all the new EVs.

Top Bottom
1 2