Electric Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Please order your Rivian vehicles immediately and support the company. I am now a shareholder, so obviously plan to hype up the company at every opportunity.

The R1S could easily be on the short list for our next EV purchasing cycle, which is about 2 years out, hopefully by then we'll have a good sense of whether Rivian is viable in the consumer vehicle market, i.e.:

- The product will have proven itself (or not), no catastrophic issues, etc.
- An order can be fulfilled in a "reasonable" amount of time (If I'm the 50,001 order and they're making 10K a year ... no)
- They'll have sold enough to establish a decent service footprint / model
- The 400 mile (extended range) R1S will be available

Also as kind of a general EV consideration over the next 2 years:

At least in the US, we see substantial growth of the non-Tesla DCFC networks - this could be by way of new locations from EVGO, EA, etc., and even Tesla if their plan to open SuCs to other vehicles follows through. For me, today, I don't know that I'd buy a BEV that doesn't have access to the Tesla SuC network (but I realize that's a whole separate discussion).

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
2022.4.5 is really starting to piss me off. The car just randomly looses cellular connection and won’t reconnect back to AT&T unless I do a force reboot with the steering wheel buttons. Always seems to happen after I let the car sit overnight.

Another annoying issue I’ve noticed is how the cameras have noticeable lag now. This wasn’t a problem back on v10 software.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
2022.4.5 is really starting to piss me off. The car just randomly looses cellular connection and won’t reconnect back to AT&T unless I do a force reboot with the steering wheel buttons. Always seems to happen after I let the car sit overnight.

Another annoying issue I’ve noticed is how the cameras have noticeable lag now. This wasn’t a problem back on v10 software.
Just wait until Tesla signs a deal with Starbucks. Your car will automatically drive to any nearby location whenever you go somewhere. It’s “just a software update”!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just wait until Tesla signs a deal with Starbucks. Your car will automatically drive to any nearby location whenever you go somewhere. It’s “just a software update”!
I would subscribe and pay for that feature. :mrgreen:

U

User.45

There's some pretty major effort involved an app store, from building out all the developer API / support docs / toolkits, evaluating how they're going to sandbox the system/functions, curation, etc. It's quite a bit different vs. internal development. If they even considered something like this, it would be more like CP, or even (Ford) Sync apps, where it's not open to just anyone, there's specific developer control / licensing.

I'd love a Tesla "native" app for: ABRP, Plugshare, Dark Sky, any podcast app (Overcast, whatever), Tessie or Teslascope
And a better GPS app:) Jokes aside, it would be a good way for Tesla maintain its leadership position. The thing is, I was looking at the Ioniq 5 and it seems like it doesn't offer wireless CarPlay for example and it requires a 3rd party dongle to fix this. So you have this fresh off the designing table marvel whose infotainment software failed to meet the highest modern standards on day 1 of its release. Which, to me suggests, that Tesla might have fantastic contenders on the hardware side, but nothing on the horizon from the software perspective that could compete with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
So I enjoyed my test drive. It was a real pocket rocket. The i3 has an amazing pace. Loved the build quality and the futuristic cabin. It was a base model, but still felt like it had plenty of tech. The leather seats would be a must for me though as would a reversing camera.
I like the I drive. A good selection of (programmable) physical buttons. My preference over a touch screen in a car.

Tomorrow I’ll be excel number crunching. See what the best option is for me. Most likely BMW approved nearly new. But let’s see.

U

User.45

So I enjoyed my test drive. It was a real pocket rocket. The i3 has an amazing pace. Loved the build quality and the futuristic cabin. It was a base model, but still felt like it had plenty of tech. The leather seats would be a must for me though as would a reversing camera.
I like the I drive. A good selection of (programmable) physical buttons. My preference over a touch screen in a car.

Tomorrow I’ll be excel number crunching. See what the best option is for me. Most likely BMW approved nearly new. But let’s see.
Yeah the pre-programmable buttons are sweet. And you can almost put any shortcut on them.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah the pre-programmable buttons are sweet. And you can almost put any shortcut on them.
Exactly. Makes a lot of sense.
Lots of the ideas I really like.
Recyclable materials.
Lightweight approach.
The now bigger standard battery (never liked the idea of the REX).
Although smaller than my golf, it feels larger inside. Handles really well on the B roads.
The cramped back set doesn’t bother me. No one ever uses it.

U

User.45

Exactly. Makes a lot of sense.
Lots of the ideas I really like.
Recyclable materials.
Lightweight approach.
The now bigger standard battery (never liked the idea of the REX).
Although smaller than my golf, it feels larger inside. Handles really well on the B roads.
The cramped back set doesn’t bother me. No one ever uses it.
I'm 6'3", I can fit in the back w/o issue. For the driver position, I fit in better than in the Model 3.
It's a really good car. It's just not a $50-60K car. It's a ~$20-30K car depending on the version you get.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'3", I can fit in the back w/o issue. For the driver position, I fit in better than in the Model 3.
It's a really good car. It's just not a $50-60K car. It's a ~$20-30K car depending on the version you get.
About £25k to £40k depending on options and age here.

U

User.45

About £25k to £40k depending on options and age here.
I have the 2015 Terra trim, leather, navigation kit with Harman Kardon speakers. The speakers are really really surprisingly competent. The leather is a must in my situation. Model 3 has superior proximity sensor system though. It tells you the distance from the nearest object, which I find much more helpful than beeping.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Dunno, I think Mach-E will take another iteration to really compete with Teslas. What I understand from the reviews is that charge rates and performance drops affect Mach-Es. Takes?

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I think this is a result of the media finally has an EV that is decent from an manufacture that plays ball with the media. The media before Mach E, Ioniq 5, etc pretty much had no choice to throw awards at Tesla due to it being the only EV that was worth any consideration. But Tesla doesn't toss money at them or have a PR department and has always had an adversarial relationship with the media. So the moment the media can, they will sing more praises to the friendlier automakers.

U

User.45

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I think this is a result of the media finally has an EV that is decent from an manufacture that plays ball with the media. The media before Mach E, Ioniq 5, etc pretty much had no choice to throw awards at Tesla due to it being the only EV that was worth any consideration. But Tesla doesn't toss money at them or have a PR department and has always had an adversarial relationship with the media. So the moment the media can, they will sing more praises to the friendlier automakers.
Oh, I definitely cannot be accused with Tesla fanboyism, but I have the same impression. Mach-E is decent but not yet on par. Ioniq 5 on the other hand had better features than the TMY for a TME3 price tag. But it still has to live up to the hype.

Interesting (and of course subjective): teslas look better in wild than in media. The Ioniq5s I've seen in the wild did not make a huge impression on me for some reason. Though I suspect those were the base versions.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The thing is, I was looking at the Ioniq 5 and it seems like it doesn't offer wireless CarPlay for example and it requires a 3rd party dongle to fix this. So you have this fresh off the designing table marvel whose infotainment software failed to meet the highest modern standards on day 1 of its release. Which, to me suggests, that Tesla might have fantastic contenders on the hardware side, but nothing on the horizon from the software perspective that could compete with them.

The lack of wireless CarPlay in new cars is confounding. Either the implementation requires something that's a major issue and/or maybe there's some kind of licensing issue[?]

Cool. If going used, I'd =definitely= look into a CPO car, sounds like that's what you're shopping.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
The lack of wireless CarPlay in new cars is confounding. Either the implementation requires something that's a major issue and/or maybe there's some kind of licensing issue[?]

Cool. If going used, I'd =definitely= look into a CPO car, sounds like that's what you're shopping.
CPO?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Certified Pre-Owned

Personally there's no way in hell I'd own a later model, "non-inexpensive" BMW, especially one with potentially high dollar service costs without a warranty.
Right. Yes it would be BMW approved warranty if I buy one.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Certified Pre-Owned

Personally there's no way in hell I'd own a later model, "non-inexpensive" BMW, especially one with potentially high dollar service costs without a warranty.

Nope. I think Mercedes has the best CPO Warranty. When we bought the daughter's GLA, it was 2 years old with 26K miles. It was offered with the standard 1 additional year and unlimited mileage warranty which we upgraded to the +3 years, unlimited mileage warranty. She she basically has a car with a 5 yr/unlimited mileage warranty. That is a better warranty than buying new.

Top Bottom
1 2