Electric Vehicles: General topics

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
LOL. They tell me the sirius thing is because they wiped my profile when they put in the new non-volatile memory (their fix for the “flash ram gets written to too much and dies” bug). They didn’t back up my profile.

So they have to wait for the “profile guy” to come in, tomorrow. But somehow the “master technician” (who was working at 10pm) told me it could take up to a week.

I told them to keep the car until everything that worked when I brought it in works again.

Now I have to figure out how to reprogram my homelink - my garage opener is so old it has no homelink support, so i added on a homelink receiver. But my wife lost the remote for it. I thought I had another, but when i tried to use it to program the loaner I got nowhere. May be time to get a new garage door opener too now.
It's hard to believe they don't back profiles considering the entire car is essentially based on an OS now, you would think that's the first they would do before even starting any work.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's hard to believe they don't back profiles considering the entire car is essentially based on an OS now, you would think that's the first they would do before even starting any work.

Oh, they DO back them up - the “master technician” working at 9:30pm told me he was going to put In an “expedited request” to recover mine.

Only to come back 15 minutes later and say they didn’t back MINE up.

The parts guy who was helping me was very nice and very apologetic, and put all sorts of notes in the system (the part that doesn’t turn up in the app) complaining about what went on. But nobody else there seems to give a crap about doing their jobs. I mean, the car goes through “quality inspection” and they miss a broken door handle, part of the dash sitting on the car floor, and the fact that the left screen won’t turn on? They wait 7 days to do the repair, and because they screwed up a software thing it could take another 7 days?

And as i sat there for an hour waiting last night, there were multiple new 3’s and y’s that came in with a litany of “concerns” off the assembly line.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Oh, they DO back them up - the “master technician” working at 9:30pm told me he was going to put In an “expedited request” to recover mine.

The parts guy who was helping me was very nice and very apologetic, and put all sorts of notes in the system (the part that doesn’t turn up in the app) complaining about what went on. But nobody else there seems to give a crap about doing their jobs. I mean, the car goes through “quality inspection” and they miss a broken door handle, part of the dash sitting on the car floor, and the fact that the left screen won’t turn on? They wait 7 days to do the repair, and because they screwed up a software thing it could take another 7 days?

And as i sat there for an hour waiting last night, there were multiple new 3’s and y’s that came in with a litany of “concerns” off the assembly line.
You read about that everywhere, mine was also one of them with issues, some resolved and some still outstanding that I've conceded because it's not worth the hassle.

They've obviously made a decision to loosen their guidelines on QA as to now slow sales, as a result their service centers are constantly overwhelmed.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score

JFC, this is awful.

Do you have another service center in your area? It's amazing how indifferent they are, even when they screw everything up.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
JFC, this is awful.

Do you have another service center in your area? It's amazing how indifferent they are, even when they screw everything up.

There are several nearby. I’m about equidistant from the Sunnyvale and Santa Clara service centers, and my office is a mile from the Palo Alto service center. I usually use Palo Alto, but since the problem occurred at the start of the winter holidays I figured one closer to my house made sense. I’ll avoid santa Clara in the future. Sunnyvale wasn’t terrible the two times I used them.

Anyway…

I did pick up the car this morning. Took me about 20 minutes to program the seat, mirrors, radio presets, all the various options (dome light, handles, etc.). Found they left schmutz alll over the center screen and there were a couple of dashboard clips and a hair comb on the floor. I didn’t care - I just wanted out of there.

Got home and got the garage door working with it after about 15 minutes and a download of instructions for the weird box I use to bridge homelink to my ancient garage door opener.

So, for now, all is well.

As I was programming the garage, my service guy called to apologize for not “setting expectations” properly.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hauled a couple old portable A/C units and a dehumidifier to a place that refurbishes and resells old appliances, and can do proper disposal of stuff with refrigerants. So for hauling the sort of stuff I like having a wagon/CUV for, the ID.4 is passing that test. Would be more surprised if it didn’t, honestly.

With the all the tech being added (automatic wipers, kick-to-open liftgates, etc), and the fact that I don’t really go to the local gas station with the car wash to fill up anymore, I’ve finally bought a foam cannon for the pressure washer. Time to learn how to do it at home.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
There are several nearby. I’m about equidistant from the Sunnyvale and Santa Clara service centers, and my office is a mile from the Palo Alto service center. I usually use Palo Alto, but since the problem occurred at the start of the winter holidays I figured one closer to my house made sense. I’ll avoid santa Clara in the future. Sunnyvale wasn’t terrible the two times I used them.

Anyway…

I did pick up the car this morning. Took me about 20 minutes to program the seat, mirrors, radio presets, all the various options (dome light, handles, etc.). Found they left schmutz alll over the center screen and there were a couple of dashboard clips and a hair comb on the floor. I didn’t care - I just wanted out of there.

Got home and got the garage door working with it after about 15 minutes and a download of instructions for the weird box I use to bridge homelink to my ancient garage door opener.

So, for now, all is well.

As I was programming the garage, my service guy called to apologize for not “setting expectations” properly.
Tesla service may suck, but there's this:

Since every car that goes over a cliff in film or on TV seems to explode in a fireball, maybe it's better to be in an EV when this happens.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tesla service may suck, but there's this:

Since every car that goes over a cliff in film or on TV seems to explode in a fireball, maybe it's better to be in an EV when this happens.
That’s why Toonces never drove a car with unibody aluminum construction.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
01/04/2023 - 10:00AM3:18-cv-04865-EMC - In re Tesla Inc. Securities Litigation
Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Edward M Chen:
Final Pretrial Conference held on 10/25.2022. Motions Hearing held on 10/25/2022 re:
[478] Fourth MOTION in Limine by Defendants.
[479] Fifth MOTION in Limine by Defendants.
[480] Second MOTION in Limine by Plaintiff.
[481] Third MOTION in Limine by Plaintiff.
[482] Fourth MOTION in Limine by Plaintiff.
[483] Fifth MOTION in Limine by Plaintiff.
Second Final Pretrial Conference set for 1/4/2023 at 10:00 AM in San Francisco, - Videoconference Only. This proceeding will be held via a Zoom webinar.
ALL COUNSEL PARTICIPATING IN THE HEARING ARE REQUIRED TO LOG IN TO ZOOM NO LATER THAN 9:45 AM.
Webinar Access: All counsel, members of the public, and media may access the webinar information at https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/emc
General Order 58.Persons granted access to court proceedings held by telephone or videoconference are reminded that photographing, recording, and rebroadcasting of court proceedings, including screenshots or other visual copying of a hearing, is absolutely prohibited.
Zoom Guidance and Setup: https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/zoom/.
Total Time in Court: 3 hours, 45 minutes. Court Reporter: Debra Pas. (vla, COURT STAFF) (Date Filed: 10/26/2022)

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
01/04/2023 - 10:00AM3:18-cv-04865-EMC - In re Tesla Inc. Securities Litigation
Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Edward M Chen:
Final Pretrial Conference held on 10/25.2022. Motions Hearing held on 10/25/2022 re:
[478] Fourth MOTION in Limine by Defendants.
[479] Fifth MOTION in Limine by Defendants.
[480] Second MOTION in Limine by Plaintiff.
[481] Third MOTION in Limine by Plaintiff.
[482] Fourth MOTION in Limine by Plaintiff.
[483] Fifth MOTION in Limine by Plaintiff.
Second Final Pretrial Conference set for 1/4/2023 at 10:00 AM in San Francisco, - Videoconference Only. This proceeding will be held via a Zoom webinar.
ALL COUNSEL PARTICIPATING IN THE HEARING ARE REQUIRED TO LOG IN TO ZOOM NO LATER THAN 9:45 AM.
Webinar Access: All counsel, members of the public, and media may access the webinar information at https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/emc
General Order 58.Persons granted access to court proceedings held by telephone or videoconference are reminded that photographing, recording, and rebroadcasting of court proceedings, including screenshots or other visual copying of a hearing, is absolutely prohibited.
Zoom Guidance and Setup: https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/zoom/.
Total Time in Court: 3 hours, 45 minutes. Court Reporter: Debra Pas. (vla, COURT STAFF) (Date Filed: 10/26/2022)
Did you listen?

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
So, Sony and Honda are going to be introducing a new sedan under a new brand. That name though. It sounds like something out of a really bad pick-up line.

”Have you heard of Afeela?” “Huh? Afeela?” “Afeela you up.”

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So, Sony and Honda are going to be introducing a new sedan under a new brand. That name though. It sounds like something out of a really bad pick-up line.

That concept is pretty ugly.

I hope the Sony team responsible for their camera UX isn’t involved with the car’s UX :)

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
That concept is pretty ugly.

I hope the Sony team responsible for their camera UX isn’t involved with the car’s UX :)

Oh, it’s guaranteed to be a different team making an entirely different set of UX ****-ups. Also, Epic Games.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I think they'll do very well. A shame they won't be available until 2026.

I suspect this partnership is what Honda was referring to back in April when they announced they'd be introducing 30 EV models by 2030.

Apple and Tesla should be concerned... especially regarding Honda's reputation, reliability and service network.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just watched a video of the introduction. The media bar at the front is interesting, but I wonder what it will display that would be of use to anyone but the driver. Maybe "If you're close enough to read this, you're about to get run over" when the car is moving?

It certainly has more cameras and sensors than any other vehicle I'm aware of. The question is how well they'll be able to provide information to the driver assistance and automation systems. Also, how will they work in poor weather & road conditions.

Anyway, I'm excited to see more players, especially ones as well-known as Honda and Sony, in this space.

Top Bottom
1 2