Electric Vehicles: General topics

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
There is. If you’re a charger network and get US funding, it’s CCS for you. The problem is that CCS is sucky (both from a form factor and a convenience perspective), and this is like when the EU mandated that everything use micro-USB.

What's the convenience perspective issue with CCS?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What's the convenience perspective issue with CCS?

Having lurked in various EV forums for awhile now, I’ve learned that the seamless Tesla supercharger experience is not replicated when CCS users charge at CCS chargers. At tesla I roll up, hit the button on the charge handle, the charge door pops open and I can charge. That’s it. I don’t have to enter credentials, or use an app, supply a credit card, or do anything. This is supposedly possible with CCS, and apparently it sometimes even works. But I see just tons and tons of posts from people who have to reboot their phone twice, call the charger company, muck around in settings, screw around with dashboard controls, or whatever, to actually get it to work.

I also notice that the BMW’s, for example, have two little doors within the outer door, that need to be manually opened - one for the DC pins and one for the AC. There’s none of that nonsense with Tesla’s connector (at least on Teslas. I suppose other manufacturers using the connector could do doors within doors, MST3K-style, if they want).

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Having lurked in various EV forums for awhile now, I’ve learned that the seamless Tesla supercharger experience is not replicated when CCS users charge at CCS chargers. At tesla I roll up, hit the button on the charge handle, the charge door pops open and I can charge. That’s it. I don’t have to enter credentials, or use an app, supply a credit card, or do anything. This is supposedly possible with CCS, and apparently it sometimes even works.

It might be interesting to know that this experience is powered by a draft version of ISO 15118, which is the CCS communication spec. NACS seems to be settling on the final version of the spec going forward for plug and charge.

It's just that Tesla's vertical integration and head start means they beat everyone else to the punch on delivering a working version of the spec, by starting with the draft version and going from there. I have yet to see any of the other charging networks deliver P&C in the US (EU is a different story, it's rolling out there), and vehicles are equally behind the curve. It's practically a chicken/egg issue on the CCS side because of how many parties are involved, sadly.

But I see just tons and tons of posts from people who have to reboot their phone twice, call the charger company, muck around in settings, screw around with dashboard controls, or whatever, to actually get it to work.

Yeah, this is not a CCS problem, it's a charger management and design problem.

I also notice that the BMW’s, for example, have two little doors within the outer door, that need to be manually opened - one for the DC pins and one for the AC. There’s none of that nonsense with Tesla’s connector (at least on Teslas. I suppose other manufacturers using the connector could do doors within doors, MST3K-style, if they want).

Yeah, it depends on how paranoid the OEM is about water collecting in the connector. The EVs I've driven only have an extra cover for the DC pins. But this is partly what you get when your receptacle can collect water in the wrong places. That is fair.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
I'll probably go with the Hyundai, can't really justify the expense of a higher end car in retirement when I'm not really using it that much.
Hyundai said they are looking into NACS, I suspect they want to see V4 actually hit 800+V first since their charging system heavily relies on it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The 5-pin "NACS" makes as much sense as anything and is more compact. What I would like to know is, does the charger detect ac vs dc by sniffing the big pins, or does one of the control signals tell it what is coming in? Or both?
Negotiating using control signalling before any charging voltage is present on the big pins.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'll probably go with the Hyundai, can't really justify the expense of a higher end car in retirement when I'm not really using it that much.

As much as I am meh on the Ioniq 5, I do like the look of the Ioniq 6.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The Ioniq 6 does look OK, but the screens would annoy me. I do like needle gauges and would appreciate a display that could be customised to a non-digital look. Call me when they have an oled display that only lights up what I want to see (with, maybe, buttons on the wheel to call up status info).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wow

Toyota Touts Solid State EVs With 932-Mile Range, 10-Minute Charging by 2027​

vx1bisrguu7b1.png

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Good. I’ll trust NACS under SAE guidance more than under Tesla’s guidance, IMO.

Should help ensure that we’ll see NACS -> CCS adapters from third parties down the road that will keep cars like mine going until I actually have a need to replace it.

Top Bottom
1 2