Electric Vehicles: General topics

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
and the fact that I don’t really go to the local gas station with the car wash to fill up anymore, I’ve finally bought a foam cannon for the pressure washer. Time to learn how to do it at home.

Love my foam cannon. Look for the sudsiest car wash you can find, preferably one without wax in it. Those don't foam worth a dang.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Love my foam cannon. Look for the sudsiest car wash you can find, preferably one without wax in it. Those don't foam worth a dang.

When I did try to do some hand washes or the soap dispenser that is built into the power washer, I picked up some Gold Class from Meguiar’s. Wasn’t that impressed with the soap dispenser. Imagine my surprise when it turns out to do well in foam cannons too. Saves me a few bucks and gives me a reason to use it again.

The other thing that I really needed was a good soft brush so I don’t have to lean down to loosen up the dirt on the bottom half of the car. Huge time saver and much easier on the back.

I think they'll do very well. A shame they won't be available until 2026.

I suspect this partnership is what Honda was referring to back in April when they announced they'd be introducing 30 EV models by 2030.

Apple and Tesla should be concerned... especially regarding Honda's reputation, reliability and service network.

I’ll hold judgement on the car itself when someone can drive it. But I’ll mock the brand name mercilessly. It’s terrible.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Remember what a silly, heavily mocked name "iPad" was? Now it is one of those kleenex/thermos/crescent-wrench terms that has largely supplanted any generic name. Which is not to say that I think "Afeela" will be like that. Just be wary.

Won’t deny that I could be embarrassed by this years from now. Not as embarrassed as I would feel if I confused a tablet with a sanitary product.

I just find it hard to take a brand seriously when their name sounds like a certain famous plumber trying to imitate an Italian accent.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score

When I did try to do some hand washes or the soap dispenser that is built into the power washer, I picked up some Gold Class from Meguiar’s. Wasn’t that impressed with the soap dispenser. Imagine my surprise when it turns out to do well in foam cannons too. Saves me a few bucks and gives me a reason to use it again.

The other thing that I really needed was a good soft brush so I don’t have to lean down to loosen up the dirt on the bottom half of the car. Huge time saver and much easier on the back.

I’ll hold judgement on the car itself when someone can drive it. But I’ll mock the brand name mercilessly. It’s terrible.

Love my foam cannon as well. Also got an air dryer to blow off the water so drying is no contact. As well as a deionizer.

20AEB476-B1CF-4783-A1A9-C7BCD6434581.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
LOL. Took this long for Musk to admit that people need to be able to steer cars. ( I checked, and you can configure it either way now on custom orders)

I couldn't imagine it not being round but of course I never tried it, just looks like it would limit mobility.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine it not being round but of course I never tried it, just looks like it would limit mobility.

There are a bunch of places where you can get replacement wheels, and apparently it’s a fairly easy swap. Supposedly just 5 minutes or so with an allen wrench. One place buys wheels from Tesla and modifies them to be round. There’s an entire ecosystem around this dumb design decision.

Of course, even with the ability to have a round steering wheel now, you still have to use the touch screen to shift into drive or reverse. So that’s fun.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hearing really great things about that car, seems very comparable to the Tesla.
I hope we’re beginning to see some decent competition finally.

Interestingly, the light went away when I started the car again, and I drove around 45 miles today without it turning on. I have another 20 mile round trip in an hour, and fingers crossed. Maybe, just maybe, it was a glitch. Otherwise it sounds like a $6k or $7k drivetrain replacement, if the parts are even available for my old car, according to the tesla forums.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thoughts on Ioniq 6?

My model s now has a suspension warning light that comes on most mornings (but not afternoons?) and a “drivetrain warning - driveable but avoid high acceleration” light that has come on twice - I’m told the latter may be a $7000 bill, though I can’t get it into service until late May due to a backlog at the service center (and the earlier date they have available conflicts with some surgery I’m getting).

Anyway, if the repairs are going to be expensive, it’s going to be time for me to finally replace my 10 year old Tesla. I’m looking for something with 300+ mile range and CarPlay.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thoughts on Ioniq 6?

My model s now has a suspension warning light that comes on most mornings (but not afternoons?) and a “drivetrain warning - driveable but avoid high acceleration” light that has come on twice - I’m told the latter may be a $7000 bill, though I can’t get it into service until late May due to a backlog at the service center (and the earlier date they have available conflicts with some surgery I’m getting).

Anyway, if the repairs are going to be expensive, it’s going to be time for me to finally replace my 10 year old Tesla. I’m looking for something with 300+ mile range and CarPlay.
I agree that it's definitely time to move on to a more stable company and a $7K repair is crazy. I've been watching a lot of reviews, and comparisons with the Tesla, it sounds very competitive in all aspects. I don't personally know anyone who has one as of yet but I don't think it will be long before we see more of them on the road.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that it's definitely time to move on to a more stable company and a $7K repair is crazy. I've been watching a lot of reviews, and comparisons with the Tesla, it sounds very competitive in all aspects. I don't personally know anyone who has one as of yet but I don't think it will be long before we see more of them on the road.
Ioniq 5 is another possibility. Seems to be pretty similar in terms of specs, but the extra luggage room couldn’t hurt.

Top Bottom
1 2