General Health and Exercise

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Stumbled over this. Bone Broth Diet, Kindle book is $8, I deemed the risk-benefit acceptable.
Do you have any experience with this? Speak up! :D

2739CC80-C011-4F78-9D7D-136ADADBE64C.jpeg

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Stumbled over this. Bone Broth Diet, Kindle book is $8, I deemed the risk-benefit acceptable.

I don't have any experience with this latest diet craze, but I've been on a "diet" for a while now. For the most part, I have been just watching calories, staying away from a lot of unnecessary carbs, and processed food. While I had success and dropped about 25 lbs slowly, I am now in crunch time as my deadline is fast approaching. So I jumped on the intermittent fasting bandwagon. My experience has been that the regular diet was easier but not as gratifying. I didn't feel the differences because it was coming off so slowly. The intermittent fasting has been brutal, but I have dropped a lot of weight quickly (10 lbs in a couple of months) and it is more noticeable. No way I can sustain this diet though, as I am being told I am not pleasant to be around... 😂

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

without knowing what is recommended in this book, it seems like it’s either low calorie (bad long term) or a version of intermittent fasting, or some combination thereof. bone broth has a lot of health benefits on its own, protein, collagen, salts. and if the book recommends using the broth as a supplement or in exchange for a single meal it might be okay.

I don't have any experience with this latest diet craze, but I've been on a "diet" for a while now. For the most part, I have been just watching calories, staying away from a lot of unnecessary carbs, and processed food. While I had success and dropped about 25 lbs slowly, I am now in crunch time as my deadline is fast approaching. So I jumped on the intermittent fasting bandwagon. My experience has been that the regular diet was easier but not as gratifying. I didn't feel the differences because it was coming off so slowly. The intermittent fasting has been brutal, but I have dropped a lot of weight quickly (10 lbs in a couple of months) and it is more noticeable. No way I can sustain this diet though, as I am being told I am not pleasant to be around... 😂
what protocol do you use? i am doing roughly 19/5 or 20/4 right now. i don’t track, just skip breakfast and lunch and wait until 4pm or so to eat. i lost 30 pounds with it a few years back but with two kids and a husband in the house i didn’t stay with it long term. 😞 i felt amazing for the year or so i stuck to it. now i’m six years older and started off 10 pounds heavier, but it’s slowly working again. you really do have to make it (or something) a lifelong commitment so as not to fall back into bad habits. 🙋🏼‍♀️

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

yep, this is a version of IF, and she wants to sell you stuff to boot! the ironic thing is that there is no money to be made with IF, because it requires nothing - less food, less time, etc., and there is no money to be made from telling someone to do it....UNLESS you can sell them supplements. The basics of IF can be learned from countless websites or reddit forums, and it's all free.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
One time a few years ago just out of curiosity I bought a container of bone broth just to see what the stuff is like, having heard about its so-called "health benefits." Ugh! That crap tasted nasty and I promptly tossed most of it away. Just another silly fad, and from the sound of it in this thread, now there's just another so-called "nutritionist" trying to make a fast buck or two off suckers who think they'll lose weight by consuming this stuff....

As for "IF" (Intermittent Fasting).....that's not healthy, either. If someone needs to lose weight they need to do it responsibly and sensibly, and if serious about this and the impact on their health, they will choose to work with a Registered Dietitian who has had the appropriate evidence-based training in a clinical setting and who is Board-certified, licensed and credentialed.

Anybody off the street can hang out a shingle that proclaims they're a "nutritionist."

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
IF is extremely safe and effective, and has numerous health benefits beyond weight loss. My own nurse practitioner is fully on board with this concept and we talk about it annually.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Whatever..... I suppose for people who need to lose weight this sort of thing is appealing and sounds like a good idea and easy to do....

Would you go to an MD Family Practitioner for what is suggestive of a potentially serious cardiac condition? Or an MD Internist for dental care? An Orthopedist for eye care? Of course not. Physicians' Assistants and Nurse Practitioners are wonderful assets in the healthcare field and they do receive good general overall training, but a Nurse Practitioner does not have the same intensive and specifically-focused education as a Registered Dietitian in all things related specifically to nutrition, medical issues around it and how our food intake can affect our health.

Last edited:

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Whatever..... I suppose for people who need to lose weight this sort of thing is appealing and sounds like a good idea and easy to do....

Would you go to an MD Family Practitioner for what is suggestive of a potentially serious cardiac condition? Or an MD Internist for dental care? An Orthopedist for eye care? Of course not. Physicians' Assistants and Nurse Practitioners are wonderful assets in the healthcare field and they do receive good general overall training, but a Nurse Practitioner does not have the same intensive and specifically-focused education as a Registered Dietitian in all things related specifically to nutrition, medical issues around it and how our food intake can affect our health.

Intermittent fasting is considered a medically safe form of dieting, though there are certain conditions where it not an appropriate diet and should be discussed with a healthcare provider.

IF is not to be confused with starving oneself followed by binge eating. There are variations on accepted methods but generally entails restricting one’s eating to a certain window of several hours every day or eating a ”normal” diet for 5 days and then fasting (restricting calories to 5-600) for 2 days. Or cycling fasting days to 25% of your normal intake.

In theory is that humans evolved to eat intermittently. We can survive for months without food while many mammals will only survive days to a couple weeks. We eat way more today than we did in the days of hunter-gathers. IF intends to encourage the metabolism of stored body fat.

It may not however be any more effective than restricting caloric intake. It can make people overeat on their non-fasting days. In studies a high percentage of participants drop out. And I think that’s likely the biggest problem with IF, it’s probably not a sustainable dieting method for many people.

Ultimately for a diet to truly be successful, it has to be something sustainable. If @Huntn can’t pallet the taste of bone broth, it probably won’t be very successful long term option.

As for my thoughts on the Bone Broth Diet, it really just sounds like a combination of low carb, paleo, and IF… with the *magic* ingredient of bone broth- which I don’t think has any unique value. It provides a bunch of minerals but otherwise has virtually no nutritional value.

AFIAK author of this book did not publish her studies and did not provide basic metrics. It seems to me she combined known dieting techniques and added bone broth, which she just so happens to sell. Hmmm. What a coincidence. Especially when she charges $168 for 35, 0.71oz packets. Absurd.

I’m sure the book promotes a reasonable diet, but I would expect zero difference between her recommended diet with and without bone broth.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
there are no magical foods that will do wonders food does not work like that.
Yesterday as an experiment when I was hungery, I heated up a glass of bone broth, seasoned it with salt and pepper and it staved off my hunger. I will keep this in my repertoir, but am uncertain that I will follow this protocol as a diet.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
yep, this is a version of IF, and she wants to sell you stuff to boot! the ironic thing is that there is no money to be made with IF, because it requires nothing - less food, less time, etc., and there is no money to be made from telling someone to do it....UNLESS you can sell them supplements. The basics of IF can be learned from countless websites or reddit forums, and it's all free.

The first thing I noticed is she offered expensive packages of goods to support this diet, which seems easily doable if you wanted too, without feeding her $$.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Intermittent fasting is considered a medically safe form of dieting, though there are certain conditions where it not an appropriate diet and should be discussed with a healthcare provider.

IF is not to be confused with starving oneself followed by binge eating. There are variations on accepted methods but generally entails restricting one’s eating to a certain window of several hours every day or eating a ”normal” diet for 5 days and then fasting (restricting calories to 5-600) for 2 days. Or cycling fasting days to 25% of your normal intake.

In theory is that humans evolved to eat intermittently. We can survive for months without food while many mammals will only survive days to a couple weeks. We eat way more today than we did in the days of hunter-gathers. IF intends to encourage the metabolism of stored body fat.

It may not however be any more effective than restricting caloric intake. It can make people overeat on their non-fasting days. In studies a high percentage of participants drop out. And I think that’s likely the biggest problem with IF, it’s probably not a sustainable dieting method for many people.

Ultimately for a diet to truly be successful, it has to be something sustainable. If @Huntn can’t pallet the taste of bone broth, it probably won’t be very successful long term option.

As for my thoughts on the Bone Broth Diet, it really just sounds like a combination of low carb, paleo, and IF… with the *magic* ingredient of bone broth- which I don’t think has any unique value. It provides a bunch of minerals but otherwise has virtually no nutritional value.

AFIAK author of this book did not publish her studies and did not provide basic metrics. It seems to me she combined known dieting techniques and added bone broth, which she just so happens to sell. Hmmm. What a coincidence. Especially when she charges $168 for 35, 0.71oz packets. Absurd.

I’m sure the book promotes a reasonable diet, but I would expect zero difference between her recommended diet with and without bone broth.
She claimed bone broth to be both high in protein and low in calories. For myself if I get hungery midday, this could be a good choice for a snack. Your thoughts paragraph on this diet strike me as reasonable. :)

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
She claimed bone broth to be both high in protein and low in calories. For myself if I get hungery midday, this could be a good choice for a snack. Your thoughts paragraph on this diet strike me as reasonable. :)
Eating protein during your fasting window negates the effects of fasting, on a strictly speaking basis. But if you are going more for calorie restriction than for autophagy or insulin reduction it's not a huge deal.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

I think if you have never been overweight it's pretty easy just to say "eat less," which is basically what most dieticians will tell you. Keep your calories under a certain amount and you'll lose weight. As a teen and 20 something who weighed between 118-125 pounds for years, I would have thought that was pretty apparent also.

In the real world, though, this is very obviously not borne out. Obesity is at an all time high - an epidemic. If it were really just as easy as calories in/calories out, everyone would be thin.

But the reality is, as a middle aged woman, having given birth twice, been on hormonal birth control for years, used hormones for infertility, grew up in the 80s where we were told (by "dieticians"!) to eat ELEVEN servings of grains (bread, bagels, pasta) a DAY, ate added sugar in everything to make up for all the low fat/no taste crap....well, for people like me, eating less just doesn't work. Eating less just makes me tired and lethargic because I'm not getting enough calories. Recent studies are proving how much weight gain and loss is controlled by hormones that override basic CICO math.

To say that something is "unhealthy" because you don't need it, and more importantly, haven't studied it, is just dismissive of the real issues. And I know, you personally like to be dismissive of anything I have to say. I get it, you don't like me...."whatever".... but if you don't have anything constructive to say, to the OTHER participants of this thread, then just shut your trap.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
what protocol do you use? i am doing roughly 19/5 or 20/4 right now. i don’t track, just skip breakfast and lunch and wait until 4pm or so to eat. i lost 30 pounds with it a few years back but with two kids and a husband in the house i didn’t stay with it long term. 😞 i felt amazing for the year or so i stuck to it. now i’m six years older and started off 10 pounds heavier, but it’s slowly working again. you really do have to make it (or something) a lifelong commitment so as not to fall back into bad habits. 🙋🏼‍♀️
I am starting with the default of 16/8, and found it for the first two months to be effective. Recently I have reached a plateau for a week or so, and I know its either a combination of 3 things or one in particular. Not completely counting the calories in my time that I am not fasting. But recently I have been having insomnia (another cause to plateau) and something else health wise that I cannot pin down to a specific cause. Lots of doctors appointments right now...

I am tempted to try to increase my fasting program to something like a 19/5, but right now I have been experiencing low blood sugar effects. So I am waiting to get some of the other heath issues checked out before continuing the increase the fasting hours. Like I said, my SO has said I have been a bear to deal with from time to time.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I am starting with the default of 16/8, and found it for the first two months to be effective. Recently I have reached a plateau for a week or so, and I know its either a combination of 3 things or one in particular. Not completely counting the calories in my time that I am not fasting. But recently I have been having insomnia (another cause to plateau) and something else health wise that I cannot pin down to a specific cause. Lots of doctors appointments right now...

I am tempted to try to increase my fasting program to something like a 19/5, but right now I have been experiencing low blood sugar effects. So I am waiting to get some of the other heath issues checked out before continuing the increase the fasting hours. Like I said, my SO has said I have been a bear to deal with from time to time.
i hope you get some answers. ❤️

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I agree, anyone simply saying "eat less" is NOT the answer. But isn't that what someone is doing most of the time when they are following an IF schedule? However, if they skip breakfast and lunch they are bound to be hungry later on in the day and therefore aren't they more likely to eat more when they finally do prepare a meal than they otherwise might? Ditto if they skip eating altogether for an entire day and then resume consuming food the next day. That would kind of backfire on them, defeat the whole idea, wouldn't it? I've heard, too, where eating a lot later in the day is not a healthy practice, too and can affect metabolism. Having a heavy meal late in the evening such as is or was common in Europe is not recommended by most clinicians.

I also agree that IF is not the same as a binge-purge cycle such as is seen with eating disorders such as Bulimia. Restricting one's food intake to the point of frank emaciation is also not related to IF. Clinical eating disorders are a whole 'nother issue.....

Many factors do come into play in everyone's weight situation. Genetics take a role right from the start. Bone structure, general body build, plus any inheritable conditions are going to have an impact, and then as we progress through our lives lifestyle, environment, learned behaviors as well as physical issues result in further effects on our bodies.

The reason I recommend that people with weight concerns meet with a Registered Dietitian (as opposed to simply reading the latest diet fad book or visiting some "nutritionist's'" website) is that the RD is trained to address specific issues and help the client work out an effective and yet satisfying meal plan which will result in the client being able to achieve their goals and manage their weight in a healthy way.

Last edited:

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I agree, anyone simply saying "eat less" is NOT the answer. But isn't that what someone is doing most of the time when they are following an IF schedule? However, if they skip breakfast and lunch they are bound to be hungry later on in the day and therefore aren't they more likely to eat more when they finally do prepare a meal than they otherwise might?
I can only answer this first thought with my own experiences. Correct eating less isn't the answer, but understanding what you are eating is probably the better thought. Americans portions size and processed foods are way out of control. A typical "American" meal probably has 2 to 3 times more calories in it than most of other cultures out there. Not only that but the cheapest food options to buy have a very high starch/carbs and low nutritional value.

Personally I was never a breakfast eater, but I would have my occasional bagel/donut during the morning and go out for lunch and then grab a sub or a couple of greasy pizza slices. At night I would have a meat filled meal with more bread and potatoes, and then snack before bed. IF really wasn't a big adjustment to the hours you can eat, except for the snacking at night.

I do agree that I found myself packing the meals into the later part of the IF schedule. Which isn't how it was meant to be used, but I can understand from first hand experience that there is some misrepresentations of IF.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i know what a registered dietitian is, because my mother was one. i also know that there are a lot more current studies that show the benefits of IF and the nutrition experts are often slow to move with current research.

also, there is nothing to say that someone doing IF has to do it in the evening. but for me, i’m eating in the evening anyway with my family so it’s easy to work out.

i appreciate the discussion, but as with most topics, if you “hear” something, it’s better to do actual research, rather than spouting off half truths.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

I’d call it moderate protein, especially if you’re only supposed to have it 2x a day. 16g/serving also packet according to her branded products. The general govt recommendation is 0.8g per kg of body weight. So for example 200lbs = about 90kg = 72g/day.

I’ve been fortunate to have never struggled with my weight. I often have to remind myself to eat in fact and have a fast metabolism. But by nature I pretty much eat one meal a day in the evening. I suppose that’s kinda like one of the IF methods. I occasionally something in the mid-morning. If I eat within an hour or two of waking up I feel sick.

I did have a pancreatic issue in the past that required me to eat a zero fat diet for months. That was pretty miserable. So I can sympathize with the challenge dieting entails.

I’m by no means thoroughly knowledgeable in nutrition, but I regularly work with diabetic patients and deal with their diabetes meds and counsel them on lifestyle modifications- but I do work with an amazing nutritionist and patients find her very helpful. It’s generally our policy she consult everyone at least once who is diabetic. I would highly suggest working with a nutritionist if you need help figuring out your diet.

Top Bottom
1 2