General Swimming for Exercise

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Question for those of you who know. In professional swimming, what temperature do they keep the water? Better warmer or cooler?

I ask because we’re at the time of year when it’s getting cold at night, but still 80 during the day most days. I got overheated in the garden the other day and put my feet in the 69 degree pool to cool down. I kept getting further in, and before long I was doing my regular laps. I know athletes take ice baths, so the cold is not bad for you. Just wondering what is considered “normal.”

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I don't know the actual temperature (probably google will tell you) but colder pools are generally considered faster.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Question for those of you who know. In professional swimming, what temperature do they keep the water? Better warmer or cooler?

I ask because we’re at the time of year when it’s getting cold at night, but still 80 during the day most days. I got overheated in the garden the other day and put my feet in the 69 degree pool to cool down. I kept getting further in, and before long I was doing my regular laps. I know athletes take ice baths, so the cold is not bad for you. Just wondering what is considered “normal.”

69 degrees is quite cold. I believe triathlons usually allow wetsuits under 76. Wearing a wetsuit always seemed a little like cheating to me though considering it provides a lot of extra buoyancy.

That said I’ve had early morning practice in outdoor pools where the temperature is definitely in the low 70’s, which can be miserable.

Official FINA competition pools are supposed to be 77-82 degrees. IIRC correctly Olympic pools are 79 +/- 1 degree.

Typically most college and independent lap pools are around 78-79 degrees. Oftentimes you’ll find that lap pools found in high schools warmer, usually 82-84 degrees which is very noticeable. It gets very hot, very quickly. I once had a swim meet in a 87 degree pool which was absolutely disgusting.

At 78 degrees and swimming with moderate effort you can really feel the heat radiating off your body in the water. Once I get get into the 80’s it really feels like that heat goes nowhere.

That said, even at 75 degrees though you can get hypothermia, though it’s highly dependent on activity level and body fat. It would obviously take a very, very long time to set in compared to say 50 degree water.

As an adult, it amazes me how much time little kids spend in cold water despite their small body mass. When I was little I used to spend hours in 68 degree water in the ocean. Now I dip my toe in and say F that.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
These seem to be a bargain, holding up nicely:
BALEAF Men's Athletic Quick Dry Compression Square Leg Jammers Swim Brief Swimsuit Black Orange

Lately I’ve noticed persistent soreness in my shoulders swimming 2500 yards. Sequentially, stopped using paddles, stopped doing push-ups (outside of swimming :)), and I’ve cut back to 2000 yard. If this persists thinking about a visit to an orthopedic doc.

I would take a look at your stroke- either record it or have someone knowledgeable keep an eye on you. Common problems include reaching too far, not rotating enough, and having your hands enter the water across your body’s midline. If you’re pulling too laterally and not vertically enough you can cause undue strain on your shoulders. Overuse of paddles can also induce problems as I believe I have previously warned about. Is it both shoulders or just one? Do you breath entirely or preferentially to one side?

Also, are you entirely swimming freestyle? Try switching up with other strokes more often.

Stretching is also very important.

It might be a good idea to drastically reduce swimming, if not entirely, for a period of time to allow your body to heal. Probably best to talk to an PT or ortho sports-medicine doc though.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't know the actual temperature (probably google will tell you) but colder pools are generally considered faster.

Too hot and you quickly overheat. Too cold and your muscles tighten up. For me the perfect temp is 78. It’s really fascinating how much even 2 degrees can make.

There’s other factors that go into how fast a pool is. I used to always have meets at this beautiful looking private school pool. It was a new pool, fancy post and beam style natatorium with a mezzanine, separate diving well, etc. For whatever reason the design of the pool was very poor at absorbing your own wake, so you’d end up constantly swimming against an opposing current. Everyone always had awful times in that pool. Frustrates me to this day.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
our summer pool has a 12 foot high dive well at one end; the swimmer dive end is 4’ or a little deeper. we get a lot of best times at our pool, home and visiting swimmers.

we swim at some pools that are really shallow and a couple teams we refuse to visit due to the shallowness.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Pool temp for competitions should be between 78-82 degrees.

Cooler is faster. But have you ever noticed there is that one guy who swims like 2 miles every morning but still weighs 280lbs? That is because in the cool water you don't get your core temp up. So when you get out, you don't get that after workout continued metabolism burn you might get from something like running or biking.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Too hot and you quickly overheat. Too cold and your muscles tighten up. For me the perfect temp is 78. It’s really fascinating how much even 2 degrees can make.

There’s other factors that go into how fast a pool is. I used to always have meets at this beautiful looking private school pool. It was a new pool, fancy post and beam style natatorium with a mezzanine, separate diving well, etc. For whatever reason the design of the pool was very poor at absorbing your own wake, so you’d end up constantly swimming against an opposing current. Everyone always had awful times in that pool. Frustrates me to this day.

Our local Y has a very nice competition pool. For years it was the fastest pool in the area other than at Marshall. But they got a new Aquatic Director who would not fill the pool to the level of the overflow. (No matter how many times it was explained to her that the water was not going down the drain and was simply being collected, she was convinced it was going down the drain and her water budget was going to increase. :() So as you noted, a swimmer comes into the wall and instead of their wake going up and over the lip into the drain, it came back to them. Slowed the pool down quite a bit.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Our local Y has a very nice competition pool. For years it was the fastest pool in the area other than at Marshall. But they got a new Aquatic Director who would not fill the pool to the level of the overflow. (No matter how many times it was explained to her that the water was not going down the drain and was simply being collected, she was convinced it was going down the drain and her water budget was going to increase. :() So as you noted, a swimmer comes into the wall and instead of their wake going up and over the lip into the drain, it came back to them. Slowed the pool down quite a bit.

How does one become an aquatic director when they don’t understand how pools work? Typically the perimeter overflow design is an essential part of the filtration system- particularly if it’s designed to overflow in the grates continuously, otherwise hair and other floating debris has nowhere to go. I would think if that’s indeed case she might have a public health violation on her hands.

Idk about where you live but here in Mass and CT where I grew up there’s a lot of regulation around pools, especially public and semi public pools. Everything has to be documented. I just looked up Mass’s laws and it states 50% of the water to filter is supposed to be skimmed from the surface- makes sense considering every backyard pool’s filtration system I’ve ever dealt with. The minim flow rate is 20gpm. So unless that pool has a ton of skimmers or gutters that continually catch water, I can’t imagine she’s compliant.

The “slow” pool I spoke of had a continuous perimeter overflow, like most modern pools. I have no idea what was causing the problem in that pool. It was practically brand new and definitely cost and arm and leg. Maybe the the gutters/overflow system couldn’t swallow enough water? Maybe it was too shallow? Maybe the lane lines were of poor design (the rings are supposed to act as baffles)?

You’d think considering how long we’ve been building pools they’d have it pretty much figured out by now. I would think designs would be pretty standardized at this point.

I forgot to say the 87 degree pool also tasted like sweat. I probably shouldn’t be surprised by that. They should probably change their water.

The other worst pool I ever swam in was at the YMCA in Boston, prior to renovations, the oldest YMCA in the US. First, the locker rooms looked like something out out a saw movie. Plus like an old YMCA, they offered cheap accommodation, so there were often pretty sketchy people around. They never used the pool though.

The pool was 25 yards and 3 lanes. It was so old the walls seemed to be canting inwards. There was about an inch of sand at the bottom of the pool, presumably they used a sand filter. The only skimming was provided when enough agitation occurred that water would overflow into the gutter. As a result, it was filled with hair.

Quite frequently I would be swimming laps and the lifeguard would be talking on his/her phone. On numerous occasions the lifeguard would stop me and say “hey, I’m going to leave for a few minutes, are you good if I leave?”… only to come back 20-30 min later.

They would also do this thing where they would remove one or both lane lines, throw a bunch of inflatable toys on the pool, turn off all the lights, and show a movie using a projector on the wall. The idea was kids could watch a movie while floating on a pool toy or swimming.

I cannot imagine their risk management company, if they even had one, would approve of such a thing in a million zillion years. Talk about so dangerous.

The funny thing, as horrific as that pool was, is I probably swam 15+ miles a week in that pool for a couple years. Looking back I question my sanity.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
How does one become an aquatic director when they don’t understand how pools work?

Be the head swim instructor when the old AD leaves. :oops:

But it's a Y and the pool has always been mismanaged. The long-term ED didn't want it, but the community did so the funds were raised and it was built. Then came the swim team, which she also hated because swim parents actually demanded something from the Y, unlike all their other youth sports. I remember one meet where the scoring table ended up being an old desk we had to drag back to the pool because the little kids soccer was using all the real tables as barriers.

Soon after she left, the old AD left bringing on the new clueless one.

I'm also convinced that this pool created my daughter's asthma. This pool would sit all day with one or two lap swimmers per hour. Then at 4pm in came 100 kids for swim practice and they got the water churning and aerated the chlorine into chlorimines which just hung there at the surface, because there was no ventilation system, to be breathed in by the swimmers.

Idk about where you live but here in Mass and CT where I grew up there’s a lot of regulation around pools, especially public and semi public pools. Everything has to be documented. I just looked up Mass’s laws and it states 50% of the water to filter is supposed to be skimmed from the surface- makes sense considering every backyard pool’s filtration system I’ve ever dealt with. The minim flow rate is 20gpm. So unless that pool has a ton of skimmers or gutters that continually catch water, I can’t imagine she’s compliant.

We have almost no pools and seem to lose one every couple of years. We just got our first 50M LC pool two years ago. Imagine having to go to Ohio (Kenyon College has a gorgeous aquatic center) or Virginia for your state LSC LC Champs. ☹️

The last two new ones were built by The Rec (they run the athletic facilities at colleges) and the purposely built them at 24.5Y's so they couldn't hold meets. Lap swimmers wouldn't notice the difference, but you can't have a meet there. We did get a new outdoor pool where one of the summer Rec League teams swam. The old one was 33M. Always felt sorry for the little kids used to swimming 25's. The would just hit a wall and see they had further to go.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

When I was younger and swam energetically, it felt like I was sweating in the pool. As the old person I am, when I swim now, I want the water to feel warm/comfortable. If I stick my foot in the water and it feels cold, this is bad :), although the serious swimmers complain that the pool is too warm. I can’t say what temperature is needed to feel warm.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would take a look at your stroke- either record it or have someone knowledgeable keep an eye on you. Common problems include reaching too far, not rotating enough, and having your hands enter the water across your body’s midline. If you’re pulling too laterally and not vertically enough you can cause undue strain on your shoulders. Overuse of paddles can also induce problems as I believe I have previously warned about. Is it both shoulders or just one? Do you breath entirely or preferentially to one side?

Also, are you entirely swimming freestyle? Try switching up with other strokes more often.

It might be a good idea to drastically reduce swimming, if not entirely, for a period of time to allow your body to heal. Probably best to talk to an PT or ortho sports-medicine doc though.
Actually I recently started reaching more, which I thought the good swimmers did. 🤔

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Geez, hahaha, I never put this kind of thought into recreational swimming, even if for "health reasons". Put on trunks, jump in pool ... :ROFLMAO:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
When I was younger and swam energetically, it felt like I was sweating in the pool.

What's funny about this is my daughter started swimming competitively at age 6. Then she took up soccer at 7 but didn't like it because it made her sweat. Tried to explain that she sweated just as much in the pool. Didn't get me anywhere. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Actually I recently started reaching more, which I thought the good swimmers did. 🤔

Last time I swam, I cut out the extra reach stroke. My schedule is Monday, Friday in the pool, Wednesday in gym, and today at the gym I may of had an epiphany. :D

I did not always do the gym. When I started my retirement swim routine, I was swimming 3 times a week, but upon achieving about 70 laps, started having shoulder issues, and ended up scaling back to 50 laps incorporating light weight lifting in the gym on Wed instead of swimming, and since starting the gym, I have pushed it, increasing weights and reps, and I think this maybe the culprit.

Today in the gym, I scaled back on the weights (pounds lifting) and when finished, my shoulders felt good. Friday will tell the tale. I’ve been doing 40 laps, hope to get back to 50.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Be the head swim instructor when the old AD leaves. :oops:

But it's a Y and the pool has always been mismanaged. The long-term ED didn't want it, but the community did so the funds were raised and it was built. Then came the swim team, which she also hated because swim parents actually demanded something from the Y, unlike all their other youth sports. I remember one meet where the scoring table ended up being an old desk we had to drag back to the pool because the little kids soccer was using all the real tables as barriers.

Soon after she left, the old AD left bringing on the new clueless one.

I'm also convinced that this pool created my daughter's asthma. This pool would sit all day with one or two lap swimmers per hour. Then at 4pm in came 100 kids for swim practice and they got the water churning and aerated the chlorine into chlorimines which just hung there at the surface, because there was no ventilation system, to be breathed in by the swimmers.

We have almost no pools and seem to lose one every couple of years. We just got our first 50M LC pool two years ago. Imagine having to go to Ohio (Kenyon College has a gorgeous aquatic center) or Virginia for your state LSC LC Champs. ☹️

The last two new ones were built by The Rec (they run the athletic facilities at colleges) and the purposely built them at 24.5Y's so they couldn't hold meets. Lap swimmers wouldn't notice the difference, but you can't have a meet there. We did get a new outdoor pool where one of the summer Rec League teams swam. The old one was 33M. Always felt sorry for the little kids used to swimming 25's. The would just hit a wall and see they had further to go.

Well that’s too bad. They should probably try to find someone competent. Consideringn she apparently doesn’t understand how filtration works, I’d be concerned she definitely doesn’t understand the water chemistry.

In my limited experience, YMCA’s are either run very well or very poorly. Kinda hit or miss. The dump Y in Boston I mentioned got shut down for 2 years for renovations. Northeastern University bought most of it, knocked it down, and turned it into dorms. With their windfall from the property sale, the Y built a really beautiful facility. In think because of the shutdown they cleaned out most of their staff. Plus now you actually have people that want to go there.

Spending a lot of time in/around chlorinated pools, especially indoor ones, can definitely induce asthma or at the very least exacerbate underlying asthma.

Yeah, I noticed over the summer a bunch of articles locally and in other parts of the country about pools closing. They’re definitely a very expensive resource to maintain. And I suppose swimming isn’t exactly a popular sport in much of the country. Competitive swimming is fairly niche in New England, especially compared to places like FL and CA.

I suspect there was a big swimming boom post the 2008 Olympics due to Michael Phelps. I remember all the swim equipment companies really pushing people to get into swimming back then. I imagine that boom has since died off.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Well that’s too bad. They should probably try to find someone competent. Considering she apparently doesn’t understand how filtration works, I’d be concerned she definitely doesn’t understand the water chemistry.

Oh, they don't. One night at practice my swimmers were complaining about the chlorine levels. So just to see, I grabbed a water bottle and filled it with pool water and took it home. Since I have a pool, I have the ColorQ system that uses a photometric box to provide results. So I tested the water. Came back as HI which means over 10PPM. So I diluted the water 50/50 with some distilled water and got a reading of 8. So the pool was around 16PPM. No wonder they were complaining.

The next night I asked the head guard to check the water before practice. It was bright fricking orange. Off the chart. So they closed the pool down. He was pissed that no one had noticed it during the day. Well, a meeting was called for the next evening. Seems everything was fine during the day, but right before all the swim practices started, someone was cranking up the chlorinator to offset 6 hours and a couple hundred kids practicing between age group and then HS. The person claimed they were told to do this by said AD.

Train wreck for sure. Glad I am no longer part of it.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh, they don't. One night at practice my swimmers were complaining about the chlorine levels. So just to see, I grabbed a water bottle and filled it with pool water and took it home. Since I have a pool, I have the ColorQ system that uses a photometric box to provide results. So I tested the water. Came back as HI which means over 10PPM. So I diluted the water 50/50 with some distilled water and got a reading of 8. So the pool was around 16PPM. No wonder they were complaining.

The next night I asked the head guard to check the water before practice. It was bright fricking orange. Off the chart. So they closed the pool down. He was pissed that no one had noticed it during the day. Well, a meeting was called for the next evening. Seems everything was fine during the day, but right before all the swim practices started, someone was cranking up the chlorinator to offset 6 hours and a couple hundred kids practicing between age group and then HS. The person claimed they were told to do this by said AD.

Train wreck for sure. Glad I am no longer part of it.

Sounds like you and the other parents should file a complaint with whoever is in charge of the aquatic director. And if that doesn’t resolve things, I would talk to your local public health dept- that’s who usually regulates such things.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Sounds like you and the other parents should file a complaint with whoever is in charge of the aquatic director. And if that doesn’t resolve things, I would talk to your local public health dept- that’s who usually regulates such things.

I'm out now. So it is someone else's problem.

And our local health department is about half worthless.

Top Bottom
1 2