General Health and Exercise

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
i know what a registered dietitian is, because my mother was one. i also know that there are a lot more current studies that show the benefits of IF and the nutrition experts are often slow to move with current research.

also, there is nothing to say that someone doing IF has to do it in the evening. but for me, i’m eating in the evening anyway with my family so it’s easy to work out.

i appreciate the discussion, but as with most topics, if you “hear” something, it’s better to do actual research, rather than spouting off half truths.
There is nothing I have written that is a "half-truth."

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I've heard, too, where eating a lot later in the day is not a healthy practice, too and can affect metabolism.

There is nothing I have written that is a "half-truth."

Where's your source for your first statement? An actual, published source. I linked medical journals and university/hospital sources.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I'm sorry, what??? I ask you to post reputable sources backing up your assertions, and you want me to post information about my mother publicly?? LMAO, this is a new low even for you.

It's clear that you know nothing about the topic at hand and don't have anything useful to contribute to the validity or not of intermittent fasting. You have somehow made this an attack on me personally, which is not only unbecoming but frankly childish.

To the people who have engaged in good faith discussions on the matter, I am sorry how this has devolved. I would love to get back on track if any of you wish to continue discussing it. I also hope those of you with true medical issues are able to find the right people to help you get well. ❤️

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d call it moderate protein, especially if you’re only supposed to have it 2x a day. 16g/serving also packet according to her branded products. The general govt recommendation is 0.8g per kg of body weight. So for example 200lbs = about 90kg = 72g/day.

I’ve been fortunate to have never struggled with my weight. I often have to remind myself to eat in fact and have a fast metabolism. But by nature I pretty much eat one meal a day in the evening. I suppose that’s kinda like one of the IF methods. I occasionally something in the mid-morning. If I eat within an hour or two of waking up I feel sick.

I did have a pancreatic issue in the past that required me to eat a zero fat diet for months. That was pretty miserable. So I can sympathize with the challenge dieting entails.

I’m by no means thoroughly knowledgeable in nutrition, but I regularly work with diabetic patients and deal with their diabetes meds and counsel them on lifestyle modifications- but I do work with an amazing nutritionist and patients find her very helpful. It’s generally our policy she consult everyone at least once who is diabetic. I would highly suggest working with a nutritionist if you need help figuring out your diet.
The interesting thing is imo how little I eat during a typical day. Usually a bowl of cereal in the morning (I’ve gone back to eating breakfast), eggs and bacon 1 a week, a 200 calorie protein drink for lunch, and 2 or 3 course dinner with not a lot on the plate, and for desert a small bowl of Greek yogurt. I just don’t get it.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing is imo how little I eat during a typical day. Usually a bowl of cereal in the morning (I’ve gone back to eating breakfast), eggs and bacon 1 a week, a 200 calorie protein drink for lunch, and 2 or 3 course dinner with not a lot on the plate, and for desert a small bowl of Greek yogurt. I just don’t get it.

As I’m you know, as you age your metabolism slows down, making it harder to burn calories. In males, testosterone and growth hormone decline, resulting in a decline of muscle mass, thus less calories are required to fuel one’s body (though many people continue the same amount of calories). And when older people do exercise, they burn less calories due to the reduced muscle mass. TLDR as you age it gets harder to lose weight.

There are drugs to increase testosterone and HGH levels available for those with abnormally low levels, though I think in a lot of cases these are over-prescribed and not worth the longterm risks. But that’s another conversation requiring a lot of nuance.

It may also be worth having your thyroid hormone levels checked, as those age 50-60+ are at higher risk of hypothyroidism.

And as @Clix Pix mentioned, quality of the food is important. Not all, but a lot of cereal has a lot of added sugar and is processed into refined carbs. And I suppose what your dinner entails is another factor.

Top Bottom
1 2