General High blood pressure

U

User.45

This is my average range and my weight averages 175 to 180 in my mid 50s, however, it (and my pulse) does go up significantly when I go to the doctors sometimes because I am always pretty nervous there. At home though it's never an issue, I walk pretty much every day and try to take care of myself.
Pulse can go up, it's fine below 90. Your BP shouldn't.

Sounds like you have a case of White Coat Syndrome.
We now consider situational hypertension just plain hypertension for practical reasons. If the white coat does it, other stressors do it too.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Pulse can go up, it's fine below 90. Your BP shouldn't.

We now consider situational hypertension just plain hypertension for practical reasons. If the white coat does it, other stressors do it too.
I once went to the ER with a lung infection and my pulse was over 150 the entire time because I was so panicked, the doctor ordered two ECGs which showed no problems but insisted I schedule a heart stress test, It was at the beginning of the pandemic so I still haven't done it but when I go for a strenuous walk or hike it will often hit that with no problem so I don't think it's as big of a deal as he did.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

One thing I have noticed is that the reactions to certain blood pressure levels can vary from physician to physician. When I went to get my tooth pulled last year, my blood pressure was 130/85, which my dentist showed a bit of concern over. Meanwhile, my GP seems to think that anything below 140/90 isn't too much of an issue.

U

User.45

One thing I have noticed is that the reactions to certain blood pressure levels can vary from physician to physician. When I went to get my tooth pulled last year, my blood pressure was 130/85, which my dentist showed a bit of concern over. Meanwhile, my GP seems to think that anything below 140/90 isn't too much of an issue.
And your GP is correct. Pain also elevates BP. Though, as I mentioned above, lower BP has benefits to ranges as low as like 110/60 or so. But that's sorta confounded IMHO.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My dentist did the same with a wrist monitor and it was like 20 points higher than it normally is and I wasn't even nervous about it. Then I read this from the Mayo Clinic and it made more sense, they didn't have me properly positioned or any of it. TLDR use a standard upper arm cuff.

U

User.45

I once went to the ER with a lung infection and my pulse was over 150 the entire time because I was so panicked, the doctor ordered two ECGs which showed no problems but insisted I schedule a heart stress test, It was at the beginning of the pandemic so I still haven't done it but when I go for a strenuous walk or hike it will often hit that with no problem so I don't think it's as big of a deal as he did.
Tachycardia in the context of a lung infection is more suggestive of sepsis... But I think I fulfilled my bad on-line medical opinion quota for the day so I'll shut up.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
My dentist did the same with a wrist monitor and it was like 20 points higher than it normally is and I wasn't even nervous about it. Then I read this from the Mayo Clinic and it made more sense, they didn't have me properly positioned or any of it. TLDR use a standard upper arm cuff.

If you want to have some fun, if your doctor is using one of those automatic pressure readers (which is rare, but does happen), and they happen to leave the room for a second, shake your arm around really quickly. You'll end up with a reading in the 250/150 range, which'll freak them out.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Tachycardia in the context of a lung infection is more suggestive of sepsis... But I think I fulfilled my bad on-line medical opinion quota for the day so I'll shut up.
All good, we appreciate the input of a professional. I can say that my blood work all checked out and I was sent home with antibiotics, 2 days later I was as good as new.

All that said I assume that the fact that my pulse rate jumps to 150 or 160 when I intentionally exercise it bodes well for it hitting that rate unintentionally for a short period of time?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
This is my average range and my weight averages 175 to 180 in my mid 50s, however, it (and my pulse) does go up significantly when I go to the doctors sometimes because I am always pretty nervous there. At home though it's never an issue, I walk pretty much every day and try to take care of myself.

Does your dentist ever take your blood pressure? Mine does and gets excited if either number is over 130/100. I am thinking "I am at the !@#$%^& DENTIST, I would expect it to be high.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
And your GP is correct. Pain also elevates BP. Though, as I mentioned above, lower BP has benefits to ranges as low as like 110/60 or so. But that's sorta confounded IMHO.

Would pain elevate it while asleep? My wife wears her fitbit at night and she always wonders why her BP is over the baseline a lot of the night. She has some back issues and if she gets in the wrong position, the pain will wake her up.

So could low levels of pain while asleep, but not enough to consciously wake her, elevate her BP?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Does your dentist ever take your blood pressure? Mine does and gets excited if either number is over 130/100. I am thinking "I am at the !@#$%^& DENTIST, I would expect it to be high.
"Why is your blood pressure so high, sir?"

giant-scary-needle.jpg

U

User.45

All good, we appreciate the input of a professional. I can say that my blood work all checked out and I was sent home with antibiotics, 2 days later I was as good as new.
Jokes aside, fast heartbeat in the context of an infection is always worrisome, because it might be a sign of bacteria getting into the blood. They wouldn't have discharged you with home antibiotics. if you didn't respond to a fluid challenge or had other concerning signs.

All that said I assume that the fact that my pulse rate jumps to 150 or 160 when I intentionally exercise it bodes well for it hitting that rate unintentionally for a short period of time?
If you mean that you sometimes get up to 160BPM during exercise, then yes. It's fine, it just indicates that it's vigorous. In theory, anticipated max hear rate is 220- age (years), so it may indicate very rigorous exercise. The only concern is when your heartbeat gets fast and irregular due to arrhythmia (atrial fibrillation). A 12-lead EKG would have revealed Afib.
*But the gold standard is a holter/home monitoring with an approved device.

Would pain elevate it while asleep? My wife wears her fitbit at night and she always wonders why her BP is over the baseline a lot of the night. She has some back issues and if she gets in the wrong position, the pain will wake her up.

So could low levels of pain while asleep, but not enough to consciously wake her, elevate her BP?
If you mean heart rate (pulse frequency), then yes pain does increase it. Sudden arousal (awakening) can do that too. When I used to be on call and my pager woke me up, the first thing I sensed each time is my heart pounding. Its secondary to a surge of epinephrine (adrenalin). The BP should still stay within normal range <140/90, but AFAIK fitbit doesn't monitor that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom
1 2