Home Appliances

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I keep thinking about another Keurig at the odd moment, but the newer ones don't seem too well QA'd and with my older one I had appreciated its reliability but didn't like that inaccessible internal reservoir.

So... once my old Keurig finally gave it up, I've stuck to an electric kettle and Melitta pour-over routine for a couple years now and am content with that. Occasionally I'll still get out my French press, a regular ol' time-tested Bodum.

Still, if a relative or close friend said Keurig had finally seemed to get past glitches in their little single-serve model, I might spring for it, but so far that has not happened. I don't really like fiddling with the refillable pods though and don't want to revert to using plastic disposable pods either, even on an occasional basis.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I keep thinking about another Keurig at the odd moment, but the newer ones don't seem too well QA'd and with my older one I had appreciated its reliability but didn't like that inaccessible internal reservoir.

So... once my old Keurig finally gave it up, I've stuck to an electric kettle and Melitta pour-over routine for a couple years now and am content with that. Occasionally I'll still get out my French press, a regular ol' time-tested Bodum.

Still, if a relative or close friend said Keurig had finally seemed to get past glitches in their little single-serve model, I might spring for it, but so far that has not happened. I don't really like fiddling with the refillable pods though and don't want to revert to using plastic disposable pods either, even on an occasional basis.
Oh, yeah, we also have a Keurig and a French press.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Haha. Just got back from Europe. I'll let you in on a secret: people can live happy lives without $4K fridges:)
(This actually came up as a question: WTF do you guys need such huge fridges for?!)
Now granted it’s been a while since visiting the UK, staying in B&Bs, but I remember no one there having a full sized fridge. I was like “how”?, you’d have to make daily trips to the grocery. Ironically with a full sized fridge, that is what I do now practically. It helps having a grocery practically across the street. :)

This last fridge is the most expensive I’ve ever bought, the last one 9 years ago was $1500. I don’t see the value in a $4k fridge, but I see the extravagance.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

I have a French press*, but it’s too much work, use it occasionally, instead reveling in my instant coffee.
*admittedly makes superior coffee.

Yes, I can stand the ridicule, or I would have kept that to myself. I have a long history of peasant ways like refrigerating left over coffee for the next day’s consumption. That was when I was brewing pots of it. :D

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have a French press, but it’s too much work, use it occasionally*, instead reveling in my instant coffee.
*admittedly superior coffee.

Yes, I can stand the ridicule, or I would have kept that to myself. I have a long history of peasant ways like refrigerating left over coffee for the next day’s consumption. That was when I was brewing pots of it. :D

Wife has one that she takes on vacation. She used to roast her own beans, but now she uses Starbucks Blonde.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, yeah, we also have a Keurig and a French press.

Same, the FP gets fresh ground, usually some kind of blend of the beans we have on hand. The Keurig is exclusively for flavored (K-cups) coffee.

Both get used on most days, but here and there we'll do a K-only or FP-only day :D

For hotel/resort type getaways, we make do with the onsite coffee, though I usually bring some good creamer, like Chibani Sweet Cream (since we almost always bring a cooler). For condos, our place in the Keys, I bring all the gear :D Well, electric kettle, FP and a super nice hand grinder, though sometimes, I'll just pre-grind a weeks worth.

I can get a pot of FP made in the dark, at 4am :D It's 4-5 minutes of prep - tops. Sometimes I'll pre-fill the kettle the night before, so it hits room temp and then the water is ready in < 4 minutes. Hahaha, I put a smart outlet on it one day, and yes, I could fire up the water from the bedroom - might do that again, the outlet migrated to a different location.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

We had a larger, "reservoir" type model that crapped out years ago, so we switched over to our little single serve model, works great, looks neat (it's red). Here's the amazing thing: back when the wife was preggers, I set her up a whole bedroom cafe, a small microwave and fridge with beverages, coffee supplies, snacks and that same Keurig - which means it's 13 years old and still works perfect :oops:

lizkat

Reaction score
I have a French press*, but it’s too much work, use it occasionally, instead reveling in my instant coffee.
*admittedly makes superior coffee.

Hey I still do that sometimes, at least in the summer. Halfway to iced coffee today = yesterday morning's brew leftovers. If I use a French press and figure on a couple cups but then don't want more than one, into the fridge with the rest in a Mason jar. Anyway brewing coffee ahead of the consumption curve in the summer is an old habit, from when we used to get even more power outages around here than we do now. I'll drink it room temperature before going without that greet-the-day jolt of caffeine. My brain's apparently convinced the sun won't rise without it.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
My wife likes the Keurig, I'll only use it if she's already run water through the pod once, but I drink my coffee black. We primarily use the french press when camping, but also if we're doing cold brew.

We also will put the remainder of a pot in the fridge for the next day.

lizkat

Reaction score
My wife likes the Keurig, I'll only use it if she's already run water through the pod once, but I drink my coffee black. We primarily use the french press when camping, but also if we're doing cold brew.

Stop, you're making me want to pick up a K mini plus... but I'm afraid I'll get a lemon and have the hassle of shipping it back.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I put hot water from the kettle in our single serve K, it makes it in like 30 seconds. :D

We sometime pour our leftover into these 2" ice cube trays, freeze it, then we use them in like Baileys, so good, mostly around Xmas.

lizkat

Reaction score
I put hot water from the kettle in our single serve K, it makes it in like 30 seconds. :D

Now that is hard core. But my kitchen is on the cool side in winter now since I don't use my woodstove any more, so I'll cop to sticking a freshly brewed or pour-over coffee in the microwave for a quick go, immediately after making it, even though in the case of a pour-over, I've done the pour into a cup of heated milk...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Now that is hard core. But my kitchen is on the cool side in winter now since I don't use my woodstove any more, so I'll cop to sticking a freshly brewed or pour-over coffee in the microwave for a quick go, immediately after making it, even though in the case of a pour-over, I've done the pour into a cup of heated milk...

Oh, I heat up my coffee with the microwave several times in the morning, hahaha, I'm sure that's a violation against god and man to coffee connoisseurs ... :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom
1 2