How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
When you aren't playing around with this shit anymore.
The "WTF is this" look on her face is priceless. :ROFLMAO:

jdmorhqpbnnd0lgmldgx.jpg

All I know is I'm being extremely careful about what I put on my FB page right now, they're cracking the whip.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
You're missing a lot from MR:D I posted an article on this issue and VrDrew's response was: once this is over these fear mongering scientists will be lined up and shot.
Wow, really? The amount of pushback against real scientists is just frightening. As I recall he is a nutjob and MR loves to give these guys a free pass to spread this shit all over their forums but if you tell him to "get over himself" you'll be penalized.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
In the ongoing saga of a spike in covid-19 on campus of SUNY-Oneonta (upstate NY), 100 new cases were reported today on top the 44 new ones of yesterday and that's it, they're shutting down in person instruction this term. They had set aside dorms for quarantine and isolation after testing, so I guess those folks will remain until they're clear.

Wow. 389 new cases total from that source is 3 times the original caseload in the whole county until the college opened 2 weeks ago (and promptly experienced some unauthorized parties.. this outbreak has even made national news).

I sure god hope the spike didn't catch on in the surrounding community and that the kids don't export it back to NYC, where a lot of them do hail from.

Businesses in the local area were just starting to see things looking up again after re-opening sometime in late July, now some are shutting down again.

U

User.45

In the ongoing saga of a spike in covid-19 on campus of SUNY-Oneonta (upstate NY), 100 new cases were reported today on top the 44 new ones of yesterday and that's it, they're shutting down in person instruction this term. They had set aside dorms for quarantine and isolation after testing, so I guess those folks will remain until they're clear.

Wow. 389 new cases total from that source is 3 times the original caseload in the whole county until the college opened 2 weeks ago (and promptly experienced some unauthorized parties.. this outbreak has even made national news).

I sure god hope the spike didn't catch on in the surrounding community and that the kids don't export it back to NYC, where a lot of them do hail from.

Businesses in the local area were just starting to see things looking up again after re-opening sometime in late July, now some are shutting down again.

I don't know what anybody expected....

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I don't know what anybody expected....

Only three of the SUNY colleges in the whole system decided in advance to go for online-only education this term. Think it was Stony Brook, Buffalo and Albany. we have a couple more around here, one in Cobleskill and one in Delhi. Not sure what they've decided now that they see what can happen.

It's pretty hard to keep a lid on college kids anyway, so always some town-v-gown issues anyway. But this will not make townspeople any more fond of them even if the students do represent a significant contribution to local business revenues in more normal times. Hard to balance out the sentiment right now. Earlier lockdowns of course hit all the businesses, so folks were hoping for the best as the schools re-opened. Bummer it has not worked out well for anyone.

U

User.45

Only three of the SUNY colleges in the whole system decided in advance to go for online-only education this term. Think it was Stony Brook, Buffalo and Albany. we have a couple more around here, one in Cobleskill and one in Delhi. Not sure what they've decided now that they see what can happen.

It's pretty hard to keep a lid on college kids anyway, so always some town-v-gown issues anyway. But this will not make townspeople any more fond of them even if the students do represent a significant contribution to local business revenues in more normal times. Hard to balance out the sentiment right now. Earlier lockdowns of course hit all the businesses, so folks were hoping for the best as the schools re-opened. Bummer it has not worked out well for anyone.
I suspect you know my opinion. If we had a robust rolling federal intervention, PPE, and rational data collection on the utility of masks, and reopened when safe and not when trump wanted liberation, we would be in a better shape to do what we did anyway and failed. The outcome? The USA is a control group for the world to take COVID control measures seriously.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I suspect you know my opinion. If we had a robust rolling federal intervention, PPE, and rational data collection on the utility of masks, and reopened when safe and not when trump wanted liberation, we would be in a better shape to do what we did anyway and failed. The outcome? The USA is a control group for the world to take COVID control measures seriously.
^ This. Biden is out there basically saying the same thing. Until we get control of it we cannot safely open the economy, schools or any of it. Just saying places are open without the proper steps poses two main issues from what I can see, first is that many do not have the confidence to do it, who goes out to an indoor restaurant without fear in some way? The other is many choose to go out are ignoring the basic protocols and furthering the spread.

IMO the only way this is addressed is with a strong national response, the right mandates and guidelines as recommended by leading health professionals needs to be met and enforced, we know it works in other countries and it can work for us too. That will never happen with Trump in office.

U

User.45

^ This. Biden is out there basically saying the same thing. Until we get control of it we cannot safely open the economy, schools or any of it. Just saying places are open without the proper steps poses two main issues from what I can see, first is that many do not have the confidence to do it, who goes out to an indoor restaurant without fear in some way? The other is many choose to go out are ignoring the basic protocols and furthering the spread.

IMO the only way this is addressed is with a strong national response, the right mandates and guidelines as recommended by leading health professionals needs to be met and enforced, we know it works in other countries and it can work for us too. That will never happen with Trump in office.
The thing with Americans culturally, is you cannot force many thing here. But If spoken to appropriately, Americans tend to listen on their own. And this is where the president has a role that cannot be bypassed or fulfilled if the president is not on board. Like masks. Trump has a direct responsibility. He also dug himself into an antimasker position for no justifiable reason other than spite.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
COVID pushed him over the edge. Not sure what brought him to the brink, but the mask thing totally did him in. It was sad to watch.
I think we all have issues here and there where we have differing opinions but he really went off the reservation there, it was surprising to see actually.

U

User.45

I think we all have issues here and there where we have differing opinions but he really went off the reservation there, it was surprising to see actually.
It was fascinating. He forced me to re-review the literature in depth, so I learned a lot. Sadly, he didn't.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It was fascinating. He forced me to re-review the literature in depth, so I learned a lot. Sadly, he didn't.
Respect for taking the time. IMO it was so angry and far out there that he's not worth it.

Top Bottom
1 2