How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

U

User.45

Respect for taking the time. IMO it was so angry and far out there that he's not worth it.
I was curious how much evidence will do it. Most people just stop posting after proven consistently wrong. He kept going at it.
The interesting thing is, he once cited analyses on only 19% of people needed for herd immunity, which was also posted by a physician acquaintance of mine on FB a week later. The same guy who shared all the fake news on Hillary. I suspect there's a deep conspiracy blog somewhere they get these stuff from that is not privy to my eyes.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I was curious how much evidence will do it. Most people just stop posting after proven consistently wrong. He kept going at it.
The interesting thing is, he once cited analyses on only 19% of people needed for herd immunity, which was also posted by a physician acquaintance of mine on FB a week later. The same guy who shared all the fake news on Hillary. I suspect there's a deep conspiracy blog somewhere they get these stuff from that is not privy to my eyes.
If that's the case it's likely snuffed by FB or Twitter, which I'm glad to see. MR doesn't seem to have any issues with users spreading known false information, things that were clearly removed from all the major social media sites are allowed to propagate there.

U

User.45

If that's the case it's likely snuffed by FB or Twitter, which I'm glad to see. MR doesn't seem to have any issues with users spreading known false information, things that were clearly removed from all the major social media sites are allowed to propagate there.
I know, I've reported him once because he reported something that was clearly fake news. No suspension.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

And obvious racist memes, and every kind of objectionable content. But god forbid you call somebody a racist! :eek:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Once again a reminder of how prophetic the Pogo comic strip is...
544a37057f1e4402e89f2ae21bf93d40.gif

It also found that the rally generated about $12.2 billion in public health costs, which is based on the statistical cost of a COVID-19 case. This amount would have been enough to pay each rally goer over $26,000 not to attend, the report said.

U

User.45

It also found that the rally generated about $12.2 billion in public health costs, which is based on the statistical cost of a COVID-19 case. This amount would have been enough to pay each rally goer over $26,000 not to attend, the report said.

#PErsOnal REspONSIbiLIty!!!!!(*#@(*&(*&!!!!!!

(sorry, but I've heard personal responsibility so many fucking times the past 2 months).

The first time I've heard about Sturgis was from a patient's husband. I'm standing there with a med student, both of us wearing white coats that had our institution's mythical creature colorfully embroidered on it. Husband delightfully exclaims that he loves said mythical creature and rips up his shirt sleeve to show his tattoo of it. Then goes on a 15 minute epic about Sturgis. Sounded fascinating. It was really the highlight of a slow day.

It is the ultimate super spreader event. But hey. Some people still get to wear their "I survived Sturgis 2020" t-shirts, and based on the above stats, they only had to kill a 1000 people to enjoy it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
#PErsOnal REspONSIbiLIty!!!!!(*#@(*&(*&!!!!!!

(sorry, but I've heard personal responsibility so many fucking times the past 2 months).

The first time I've heard about Sturgis was from a patient's husband. I'm standing there with a med student, both of us wearing white coats that had our institution's mythical creature colorfully embroidered on it. Husband delightfully exclaims that he loves said mythical creature and rips up his shirt sleeve to show his tattoo of it. Then goes on a 15 minute epic about Sturgis. Sounded fascinating. It was really the highlight of a slow day.

It is the ultimate super spreader event. But hey. Some people still get to wear their "I survived Sturgis 2020" t-shirts, and based on the above stats, they only had to kill a 1000 people to enjoy it.
It's amazing what people can't seem to skip for just one year for the good of everyone. 2020 is the year of "me me me, fuck everyone else".

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
And then there's another side of all of this
"We allege that many of these defendants took the relief money offered by the PPP and spent it on things having absolutely nothing to do with relief," Rabbitt said. For example: A Miami man who allegedly obtained almost $4 million in funds and used some of this money to buy a Lamborghini.

Rabbitt said the cases varied in size and scope. Some were individuals who allegedly lied about details of their business – or its existence — and then used the funds for "illegitimate purposes," such as to buy luxury items. Others were involved in coordinated crime rings. The money the alleged fraudsters sought ranged from $30,000 to $24 million.

He stressed that the money taken fraudulently from the program took available funds away from businesses that needed them.

U

User.45

The irony?

Some of these people MAY actually go to jail, even if it's a 'fed country club'.

You know, one of the two major places where covid has run rampant.

I'd be surprised if too many people went to jail TBH.
Corruption is a feature not a bug.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Interesting to the responses to different events.

After 9/11, people were willing to give up all sorts of freedoms, strip down at the airports, increased surveillance powers for the government, no water bottles allowed anywhere, etc.

When there’s a much deadlier pandemic, the same people will burn down their state Capitol if you ask them to wear a mask. It was about having an enemy. As long as people could blame Islam for the 9/11 attacks, they were on board for any reduction in their freedoms. When it’s a virus, they don’t have anybody to hate, so they lash out at the rules.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1304489200302071814/

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
And that takes me to how pissed I was at Bill Maher when he interviewed some sports anchor about "why it's stupid to pause pro sports seasons"...
I like Bill Maher and he can be thought-provoking on most subjects..but I’ve learned not to trust him on the topic of health. A few weeks ago he was telling young people to go out there and mingle and party and build up that herd immunity. 😯 A few years back he gave air time to a quack doctor who insisted Mexico had an effective cancer treatment that was being suppressed in the United States. (The doctor was later discredited.)

Maher rightly challenges orthodox ideas, but in medicine his thoughts should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Wow, really? The amount of pushback against real scientists is just frightening...
Case in point:

A few months back Dr. Amy Acton headed the Ohio Department of Health. She guided Gov. Mke DeWine on how to navigate the Covid crisis in Ohio, and DeWine to his credit took her advice. Both were widely praised.

But then came the pushback. When the “re-open” people started getting nuts, she found her home being picketed and her family (including children) being threatened.

On top of that, the Ohio General Assembly decided her scientific approach was just too...scientific, and took away her authority to declare health emergencies.

That was it for her. She resigned shortly thereafter. And no one can blame her. :mad:

Last week Gov. DeWine announced her replacement, Dr. Joan Duwve. Within hours, she resigned.

The severe criticism and harassment of former Health Director Dr. Amy Acton caused her appointed successor to quit just a few hours after she was introduced by Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine.
"In conversations preparing for the transition to the Ohio Department of Health, I was informed that the former director's family had faced harassment from the public," Dr. Joan Duwve said in a statement Friday afternoon.

My only question is how Dr. Duwve could have possibly not been informed of the circumstances surrounding the job before she accepted.

But Ohio is looking for a health director again, one who is brave enough to stand up to the pro-Covid lunatic fringe...and is willing to accept the constraints put upon him or her by Ohio’s devolved legislature.

Edited because I forgot to source the Dr. Duwve story from which I pulled the quote.

Last edited:
U

User.45

I like Bill Maher and he can be thought-provoking on most subjects..but I’ve learned not to trust him on the topic of health. A few weeks ago he was telling young people to go out there and mingle and party and build up that herd immunity. 😯 A few years back he gave air time to a quack doctor who insisted Mexico had an effective cancer treatment that was being suppressed in the United States. (The doctor was later discredited.)

Maher rightly challenges orthodox ideas, but in medicine his thoughts should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
Usually the medical people he interviews are OK to even good, but he holds some views about medicine that are really just ignorant.
Don't even get me started on cancer patients going to Tijuana to get ""Vitamin B17"" shots/pills whatever yet refusing to get some of the super few treatments that actually have some efficacy against their tumors.

U

User.45

Case in point:

A few months back Dr. Amy Acton headed the Ohio Department of Health. She guided Gov. Mke DeWine on how to navigate the Covid crisis in Ohio, and DeWine to his credit took her advice. Both were widely praised.

But then came the pushback. When the “re-open” people started getting nuts, she found her home being picketed and her family (including children) being threatened.

On top of that, the Ohio General Assembly decided her scientific approach was just too...scientific, and took away her authority to declare health emergencies.

That was it for her. She resigned shortly thereafter. And no one can blame her. :mad:

Last week Gov. DeWine announced her replacement, Dr. Joan Duwve. Within hours, she resigned.

My only question is how Dr. Duwve could have possibly not been informed of the circumstances surrounding the job before she accepted.

But Ohio is looking for a health director again, one who is brave enough to stand up to the pro-Covid lunatic fringe...and is willing to accept the constraints put upon him or her by Ohio’s devolved legislature.
Threats against the kids of health officials is one of the most fucked up things... that the lunatics Trump lifted from the fringe to the mainstream do. Dunning-Kruger+Guns=Murica.

Top Bottom
1 2