General I hate AFib

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Day 12 of AFib. Can't afford to go to the hospital this time.
Hoping a loading dose round of Amiodarone will kick me back to sinus rhythm.
I can only walk about 6-8 steps without getting exhausted.

So if I go poof, y'all know why. #GoMe

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sounds like it's something that should be addressed ASAP. Are you in CA? Covered Cal should give you nearly full coverage if you have no income.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think you need to go to the ER and worry about payment later.
Agree. Also, by law (EMTALA: Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act), no ER can turn you away. They at least have to screen and stabilize you.

cbum

Power User
Reaction score
Exhaustion isn't your main problem.
Are you anti coagulated?
Can you "afford" to have a stroke?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Day 12 of AFib. Can't afford to go to the hospital this time.
Hoping a loading dose round of Amiodarone will kick me back to sinus rhythm.
I can only walk about 6-8 steps without getting exhausted.

So if I go poof, y'all know why. #GoMe
Get thee to a hospital!

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Gang, I very much appreciate your thoughts.

I'm swimming in debt and still paying off 2 hospital stays from last year. So no, going to the hospital is not an option this round. I even mentioned it to Blue Shield when they called today telling me it's time for a wellness check. Not one option was presented. Since early January, I've been gimping around on a sizable ruptured Achilles I can't afford to be seen other than the ultrasound that confirmed the diagnosis.

The pandemic cleaned me out financially when all film production work came to a screeching halt. I blew through my savings, then IRA.

Weird thing: I saw my Cardiologist Aug. 8th and was doing so well, he said I don't need to go back or have an Echo for 6 months. Then 2 days later: Wham. AFib reared its ugly head.

If I make it to next Tuesday, I have another Cardiologist appointment. I'm doing a round of Amiodarone per my doctor. But it's been too long without coming out of AFib so my hopes aren't high. Next step would be electric shock (the paddles). It's outpatient and sounds scary AF.

Thank you everyone for the support and well wishes. It means a lot.

cbum

Power User
Reaction score
Gang, I very much appreciate your thoughts.

I'm swimming in debt and still paying off 2 hospital stays from last year. So no, going to the hospital is not an option this round. I even mentioned it to Blue Shield when they called today telling me it's time for a wellness check. Not one option was presented. Since early January, I've been gimping around on a sizable ruptured Achilles I can't afford to be seen other than the ultrasound that confirmed the diagnosis.

The pandemic cleaned me out financially when all film production work came to a screeching halt. I blew through my savings, then IRA.

Weird thing: I saw my Cardiologist Aug. 8th and was doing so well, he said I don't need to go back or have an Echo for 6 months. Then 2 days later: Wham. AFib reared its ugly head.

If I make it to next Tuesday, I have another Cardiologist appointment. I'm doing a round of Amiodarone per my doctor. But it's been too long without coming out of AFib so my hopes aren't high. Next step would be electric shock (the paddles). It's outpatient and sounds scary AF.

Thank you everyone for the support and well wishes. It means a lot.
SP,
very sorry about your financial situation, your initial post suggested as much. However, I would be VERY concerned about your ongoing AF, with what I believe is a serious risk of stroke.
Have you told your cardiologist you are seeing next week that you are currently in Amiodarone-resistant AF? If I were him, I would insist on seeing you ASAP.

P.S. Cardioversion ("the paddles") are really no big deal, and it can work wonders. But you should be anti coagulated for it.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Next step would be electric shock (the paddles). It's outpatient and sounds scary AF.
I have a local friend who has to do this pretty regularly. It may sound scary, but apparently it works well.

I would also follow @cbum ’s advice and call your cardiologist. Extended Afib is life threatening.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I do know the risks of Amiodarone. It's not a long term drug but my Flecainide wasn't cutting it so we decided to try a short course of Amiodarone. It's what kicked my AFib in the hospital last September.

Thank you for the info on cardioversion. I'm calling my doctor's office this morning to request they put in for the pre-auth to my insurance so it's ready.

ETA: My Cardiology team is at UCLA Ronald Regan. I have (2) Mitraclips on my heart so hope the Cardioversion still can be done. My Cardiologist was part of my Mitraclip team so doubt he would suggest this otherwise.

Last edited:

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Stlll here. My appointment is Tuesday AM. I'll ask why he never returned my calls.

In the meantime, after trying to reach one of my older brothers (I have two), in Ensenada to see if he was okay after the hurricane, he called. I'm more worried about him at the moment. He was robbed, all his ID stolen and he has Leukemia. He's not one to share his problems and his phone had been turned off which is why neither myself or other brother could reach him.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Stlll here. My appointment is Tuesday AM. I'll ask why he never returned my calls.

In the meantime, after trying to reach one of my older brothers (I have two), in Ensenada to see if he was okay after the hurricane, he called. I'm more worried about him at the moment. He was robbed, all his ID stolen and he has Leukemia. He's not one to share his problems and his phone had been turned off which is why neither myself or other brother could reach him.
Sorry to hear that, hope everything turns out okay for him.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

Gosh, that's horrible news about your brother. I hope he and his situation improve.

Glad to hear you have an appointment. You'll be fortunate to make it there without untoward consequences from your condition. One way to think about it is that you can't provide any support to your brother if you don't take care of your own health. I wish you the best.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
So if my health insurance approves my pre-auth, I'm scheduled this Friday morning at UCLA Santa Monica hospital. They will stick a camera down my throat to perform a TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram) and then a cardioversion hoping to shock my heart back into sinus rhythm. It is possible I could suffer a stroke so any & all positive mojo that morning would be vastly appreciated.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not scared out of my mind.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So if my health insurance approves my pre-auth, I'm scheduled this Friday morning at UCLA Santa Monica hospital. They will stick a camera down my throat to perform a TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram) and then a cardioversion hoping to shock my heart back into sinus rhythm. It is possible I could suffer a stroke so any & all positive mojo that morning would be vastly appreciated.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not scared out of my mind.
Thinking about you man, sounds like a pretty safe procedure though

Top Bottom
1 2