If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

zakarhino

Reaction score
Vespertine - Bjork

PsYKoWz.jpg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Martha is remarkable. It's a dream of mine to see her perform live some day but I don't think she performs all too much anymore. I've genuinely considered flying to Europe just to see her (and to visit family lol).
Martha Argerich is truly a force of nature. And has managed to have fun when she does perform, especially at festivals with friends who are also well known performers whom she has known for decades. She has a reputation now though for more frequently bailing out of booked concert dates. Doesn't seem to keep people from buying tickets to the next scheduled performance anyway. It certainly wouldn't stop me if I saw the opportunity!

lizkat

Reaction score
This morning, some Beethoven symphonies, recorded by the late George Szell and Cleveland Symphony .

I had ripped my CDs from a boxed set a long time ago, think the stuff was eventually remastered. Anyway thanks probably to that and definitely to Apple music having matched what was in my library, what I'm listening to is far better quality than the old mp3 versions I had created.

lizkat

Reaction score
On the playlist today, jazz tracks from a 2017 album Blue Maqams -- performed by Tunisian oud player and composer Anouar Brahem, with Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Django Bates. Can listen to it with full attention or work while it expands to fill the room. Either way it's at once calming and transporting.

album art Blue Maqams - Anouar Brahem.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
A version of Avinu Malkeinu performed by cantors Azi Schwartz, Shira Lissek and Rachel Brook at the Park Avenue Synagogue in NYC in 2017. Music for the high holy days from Rosh Hashanah to Yom Kippur.

Avinu malkeinu, sh’ma koleinu.
Avinu malkeinu, hatanu l’fanekha.
Avinu malkeinu, hamol aleinu
v’al olaleinu v’tapeinu.
Avinu malkeinu, kaleh dever
v’herev v’ra·av mei-aleinu.
Avinu malkeinu, kaleh khol tzar
u-mastin mei-aleinu.
Avinu malkeinu,
kotveinu b’sefer hayim tovim.
Avinu malkeinu,
hadesh aleinu shanah tovah.
Avinu malkeinu, sh’ma koleinu.

Avinu Malkeinu, hear our voices.
We have sinned in Your presence.
Have compassion on us and our children.
Rid us of disease, war, and hunger.
Rid us of every oppressor and adversary.
Avinu Malkeinu, inscribe us for good
in the Book of Life.
Avinu Malkeinu,
make this a good new year for us.
Avinu Malkeinu, hear our voices.

lizkat

Reaction score
Guitars keep popping up in my playlist prowling lately. Moved some more stuff off an old laptop onto the current one.

Today some tracks from first release of the late Peter Green's compilation The Best of Peter Green Splinter Group. A founder of Fleetwood Mac, Green had prodigious talent but later lived out the cautionary tale of a lost soul whose genius forever struggled to recover from bad choices, bad luck, and the dueling swords of mental illness plus the meds prescribed to treat it. The compilation was released with different playlist orders three or four times from 2002 through 2019. The music is wonderful, a mix of wistful, angry, loving but anyway the British blues touch of late 60s, early 70s.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
My interpreter - a Croat - very kindly put together a CD of the music of Toma Zdrakovic (whom he described with awe as "a legend" in the Balkans, adding, "even though he was a Serb") - and gave it to me as a gift - which is what I am currently listening to.

lizkat

Reaction score
Some updated bluegrass for me today. Tracks from the 2010 album Darkness Sure Becomes This City, with some fine pickin' n' singin' by the band Joy Kills Sorrow.

Love the New Shoes track. Here live at the 2012 Music Fog Marathon event in TX.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A few tracks from XTC: Making Plans For Nigel, Generals And Majors, Senses Working Overtime, Dear God, Love On A Farmboy's Wages, and The Mayor of Simpleton.

lizkat

Reaction score
Sonic Youth: the destroyed room - b sides and rarities (2006)

All time favorite track = Blink. You could be in a submarine or in the NYC subway...

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Several tracks from The Delfonics.

A few days ago, I watched Jackie Brown, (my favorite Tarantino movie), and this reminded me that I hadn't listened to The Delfonics in an age.

Lovely listening.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The magisterial and magnificent piece "The Montagues and the Capulets" from the ballet Romeo and Juliet, (based on Shakespeare's play) by Sergei Prokofiev.

Top Bottom
1 2