iOS 15 & friends - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They probably have a team that figured out the cost of making an iPad app wouldn't give them increased revenue, so they are happy to give iPad users a crappy experience.

What's really silly is FB created a rapid development stack called React Native (based off their React web stack), it's awesome, it allows for super fast proto/dev, it's cross platform, I mean, FFS, it's not like they don't have the resources __and__ tools.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Unfortunately for me it doesn’t seem to work with Instagram,

It's working for me, do you have some specific example? I mean, I scrolled through content, flipped through photos, comments - looked at it in both regular and zoomed modes.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It's working for me, do you have some specific example? I mean, I scrolled through content, flipped through photos, comments - looked at it in both regular and zoomed modes.
I'm looking now.

Hopefully I was on the wrong iPad.

I had the beta on the 2018 iPP, and thought I had the new update on the 2021 that I did not get the beta on. Hopefully I mixed the two.

D

Deleted member 221

I usually don't jump in, but I did put it on my iPad mini 5

All mostly great so far, but I really hate the new Safari tab design I have to say.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I'm looking now.

Hopefully I was on the wrong iPad.

I had the beta on the 2018 iPP, and thought I had the new update on the 2021 that I did not get the beta on. Hopefully I mixed the two.

1632170129206.jpeg

Yup, was looking on the wrong iPad.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Well, heck, I did get my iPhone X updated to 15, and I was wondering why the Live Text wasn't working ...

You'll need an iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, or newer for these iOS 15 features:
  • Portrait mode in FaceTime, which blurs your background and puts the focus on you.
  • Spatial audio in FaceTime, which makes voices sound like they're coming from the direction in which the people are positioned on the call.
  • Voice Isolation mode in FaceTime, which uses machine learning to block out ambient noises like a leaf blower outside or a dog barking in the next room during calls.
  • Wide Spectrum mode in FaceTime, which amplifies ambient noises during calls.
  • An interactive 3D globe of Earth in the Maps app.
  • Immersive walking directions with step-by-step directions shown in augmented reality in the Maps app.
  • More detailed maps in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London in the Maps app.
  • Live Text for copying and pasting, looking up, or translating text within photos.
  • On-device speech processing of Siri requests.
  • The ability to make Siri requests offline without an internet connection for timers, alarms, phone calls, messaging, sharing, launching apps, controlling audio playback, and opening settings.
  • The ability to swipe up or down while taking a QuickTake video to zoom in or out.
  • The ability to add home, hotel, and car keys to the Wallet app.
  • On-device keyboard dictation that performs all processing completely offline.
  • Continuous keyboard dictation, rather than a limit of 60 seconds per instance.
  • New animated backgrounds in the Weather app that more accurately represent the sun position, clouds, and precipitation.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got everything updated. Really liking iOS/iPadOS 15. The oversized widgets on the iPad are really cool. The Safari changes have been controversial, but I really like it. Tab groups are a godsend.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I don’t want a tab group!
I thought you said you wanted one. Was it the widgets that you wanted? Go to the Home Screen, then hold your finger on one of the icons - it will pop up a menu asking to edit the Home Screen. There will then be a plus button in the top left of the screen. This will allow you to add widgets.

D

Deleted member 221

I just hate how the “tabs” look…. They don’t look what they are named after…

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Ok, I hate the new Safari! I can’t figure out how to close a tab. I had 3 iterations of Talked About open earlier!
Updated before I went to bed after Dune. I’m swiping to close just like before, or pressing the reasonably big X if I feel adventurous. Did anything change there?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
well tested the cycle workout auto detect. it worked ok for me started and paused like it should my wife's watch started ok but never paused. but the HR was way off. I don't know if it read it low or it did not pause at every stop. its better then then I used to use it manually. buy my average hr was only 86 with my watch and it was 104 with my chest HRM. its a huge difference.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
First impressions:

Safari looked a bit weird at first after the update before bed, both on the iPad and on the iPhone. My first instinct on iOS Safari was even to get the address bar moved…

After using Safari a bit “for real” during my morning commute I don’t want it moved anymore. Feels very natural to use on my 8 Plus, easy to reach everything despite the big screen. I’ve reached for the top maybe once or twice, overall I’d say I’ve already adapted. Tab groups could prove handy. And I am too sleepy to be bothered by any other UI differences at the moment. 😝

Safari feels (I really don’t want to write this, please forgive me) snappier.

The set alarms went off just as they were supposed to. Nice.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
All right! First bad experience with iOS 15!

If I zoom in on a webpage in Safari I can only scroll either horizontally or vertically. Same thing every single time, need to lift my finger before switching direction. Sometimes I can scroll in all directions again on the zoomed page after switching back to Safari from another app. Annoying. Can’t be right.

Panning around in Photos works great as always, like it used to in Safari of old…

Edit: Kind of a workaround for now — Panning around in Safari works reliably with two fingers on both iPadOS and iOS. Still annoying as I mostly use just my thumb for moving around a webpage on my iPhone safaris. Need to grow another thumb on that hand I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2