iOS 15 & friends - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
One thing i really want is a keyboard switch to turn off contractions. I purposely use words like "wont", "id", "well", "hell", "wed", "its", "shell", "shed" and a few others that it wants to turn into contractions. I kinda need autocorrect sometimes, and it can save me some time, but I almost never use contractions in text (except in quotes), so, dammit, knock it off.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Looks like an update is needed for those of us getting the new iPhones and/or iPads and restoring from backups, at least Apple Music users (if there are any).

Not unexpected that the factory 15 isn’t quite up to date.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing i really want is a keyboard switch to turn off contractions. I purposely use words like "wont", "id", "well", "hell", "wed", "its", "shell", "shed" and a few others that it wants to turn into contractions. I kinda need autocorrect sometimes, and it can save me some time, but I almost never use contractions in text (except in quotes), so, dammit, knock it off.
You routinely use “id” in texts?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just updated my SE2 and Safari is quite different looking. The toolbar is on the bottom. Guys, I’m scared.
B56495E0-4394-4923-ADA9-5F3B0525BF56.png

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Be afraid, be very afraid!

Just kidding. I’m still not 100% used to it, but I like it. Much easier to reach on a big phone.
Should have said address bar, I guess. I put it back at the top for a minute and then decided on bottom to give it a try. I completely ignored news about the update so I really was shocked when I opened Safari.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don't get tab groups. I put the new Safari on my Mac. I setup a tab group half a dozen times and I don't get it. There's 4 tabs in my group. I close the browser, re-open it, then expect to click that tab group and get my 4 tabs back. Instead I get the first tab from the group and a blank start page. I don't get it. The group now says those are the two tabs.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the feature.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I use Safari for a thing or two (on my iPad), mostly when I have to open links from another app like Mail or Notes, but the bulk of my browsing is in iCab, so almost nothing has changed (except, I mostly use full-screen – to avoid burn – and now my close icon conflicts with those multi-task dots).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't get tab groups. I put the new Safari on my Mac. I setup a tab group half a dozen times and I don't get it. There's 4 tabs in my group. I close the browser, re-open it, then expect to click that tab group and get my 4 tabs back. Instead I get the first tab from the group and a blank start page. I don't get it. The group now says those are the two tabs.

Now you see why that was driving me crazy! Other than that I’m enjoying the updated Safari all around.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

It's just part of the current browser "standard" features, all of them do it, use is really driven by your own personal workflow and how many tabs/sites you tend to keep open.

I generally have 40-50 tabs open, but I organize things into windows and Chrome lets you name the windows, so I'll have stuff organized like so:

1632586940855.png

And I also really like "pinned" tabs, that where they're minimized to just their favicon (vs. icon + page name) and get stickied over on the left, it's great for things you want to keep open, but have a minimal tab real estate (like web front ends to server services ...)

1632587163901.png

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I generally have 40-50 tabs open...

Oh, you're one of those people. :rolleyes:

I've genuinely never understood that. Especially at work. When things get hairy, the first thing I do is start closing windows and tabs until all the other distractions are gone. I work with a guy who's a 50+ tab guy along with 15 Notepads, 5 Visual Studios, 10 browsers, and dozens of other things running. I'd say I don't know how he gets anything done. But first I'd have to see him accomplish something just to set a baseline.

It's rare that I have 10+ tabs open and generally it's probably 2-3.

I was just hoping for something where I could click the VR Tab Group for example, and have all the VR news sites I like to visit all open at once so I can check them all. Is it actually nothing more than a way to filter tabs you currently have open? If that's all it is, then it's sort of the opposite of what I was looking for. I don't need to sort a large list of open tabs because I'd rather not have that many open in the first place. I just want a shortcut to open a bunch of related tabs at the same time.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Huh. Just noticed the address bar in iOS Safari is still up top in landscape mode as opposed to down bottom in portrait mode. Would complain loudly about the inconsistency if the different placements weren’t working out so darn well with how I’m holding the phone.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, you're one of those people. :rolleyes:

I've genuinely never understood that. Especially at work. When things get hairy, the first thing I do is start closing windows and tabs until all the other distractions are gone. I work with a guy who's a 50+ tab guy along with 15 Notepads, 5 Visual Studios, 10 browsers, and dozens of other things running. I'd say I don't know how he gets anything done. But first I'd have to see him accomplish something just to set a baseline.

If by "those people", you mean talented individuals who can not only handle a high degree of concurrency, but also retain an incredibly high quality of execution, attention to detail and superlative client satisfaction.

Then yes. :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Huh. Just noticed the address bar in iOS Safari is still up top in landscape mode as opposed to down bottom in portrait mode. Would complain loudly about the inconsistency if the different placements weren’t working out so darn well with how I’m holding the phone.

Oh wow, primary interaction points radically changing position is generally a huge UI/UX no-no, but like you said, I'll have to see how they work in actual use (I just checked it out, yeah, that's __funky__).

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just tried to use Apple Pay on Safari ordering takeout. I’ve done this at the same restaurant dozens of times and, after selecting the black Apple Pay bar, it presented the cards I have on file and had a message saying “verify your information” or something like that. I could not figure out what it wanted, clicked on everything in sight. I failed to make it work. Definitely something to do with the update.

Top Bottom
1 2