iOS 15 & friends - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
When I transferred my apps/config/etc., to the new device, most stuff worked, I had to update a few accounts, login again to several websites, but today when I was out - and wearing a mask - I tried to turn on the Unlock with Apple Watch, got a communication error - appears to be a known issue:

I'm sure it'll get patched pretty quickly.

Otherwise, the Apple Watch to iPhone config went right over to the new device as expected.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
When I transferred my apps/config/etc., to the new device, most stuff worked, I had to update a few accounts, login again to several websites, but today when I was out - and wearing a mask - I tried to turn on the Unlock with Apple Watch, got a communication error - appears to be a known issue:

I'm sure it'll get patched pretty quickly.

Otherwise, the Apple Watch to iPhone config went right over to the new device as expected.
Yes, have the same problem with my Series 3. Everything else transferred like a charm and just works as far as I know, but Unlock with Apple Watch can’t be enabled on the new phone. 🤬

No mask mandates here so not a real issue for me at the moment. Winter is coming, though. Could come in handy with a scarf covering half the face later.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes, have the same problem with my Series 3. Everything else transferred like a charm and just works as far as I know, but Unlock with Apple Watch can’t be enabled on the new phone. 🤬

No mask mandates here so not a real issue for me at the moment. Winter is coming, though. Could come in handy with a scarf covering half the face later.

Oh definitely, it's a great feature (we chatted about it on another thread). I bet given its intended use, it gets resolved ASAP!

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just tried to use Apple Pay on Safari ordering takeout. I’ve done this at the same restaurant dozens of times and, after selecting the black Apple Pay bar, it presented the cards I have on file and had a message saying “verify your information” or something like that. I could not figure out what it wanted, clicked on everything in sight. I failed to make it work. Definitely something to do with the update.
So this is also happening after updating my iPad. I did find a workaround but it’s extra clicks. This is a partial screenshot of what I see when selecting the black Apple Pay icon to pay for something on a Safari website. I have to click on “Add contact”, which then shows my existing name, phone number, and email address. I have to click on the number and address, and then a check mark shows up next to them, then click “done” on the upper right which takes me back to the screen below. Then the fingerprint icon shows up so that I can pay using Apple Pay (I still have Touch ID).

Google search is very little help. One guy says to change your phone number format in Wallet and Apple Pay settings but that doesn’t seem like the issue here.

2EC81E1C-FEA6-4FD3-8F76-F92D1CA636A8.jpeg

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
have you gone into settings inch check your accounts? I have had to verify things after a update before.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
have you gone into settings inch check your accounts? I have had to verify things after a update before.
Yeah I can’t find anything wrong. It’s all the same as it was. Since I’m not seeing other people complaining about this I’ll probably be calling support on my days off.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another update topic. With iPadOS they’ve made an unwelcome change to Safari bookmarks. Covered pretty well here.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is still working intermittently. For some reason my sunglasses throw it off. And yet, yesterday when I tucked my phone into my pocket, BAM! Your watch has just unlocked your phone. Really? Full face mask?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Mine is still working intermittently. For some reason my sunglasses throw it off. And yet, yesterday when I tucked my phone into my pocket, BAM! Your watch has just unlocked your phone. Really? Full face mask?

Have you tried turning off the "Requires Attention" under the FaceID settings? Not sure how that factors in to the whole unlock-with-Watch logic, but for just a regular FaceID is means you don't have to be looking at the phone.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Oh, you're one of those people. :rolleyes:

I've genuinely never understood that. Especially at work. When things get hairy, the first thing I do is start closing windows and tabs until all the other distractions are gone. I work with a guy who's a 50+ tab guy along with 15 Notepads, 5 Visual Studios, 10 browsers, and dozens of other things running. I'd say I don't know how he gets anything done. But first I'd have to see him accomplish something just to set a baseline.

It's rare that I have 10+ tabs open and generally it's probably 2-3.

I was just hoping for something where I could click the VR Tab Group for example, and have all the VR news sites I like to visit all open at once so I can check them all. Is it actually nothing more than a way to filter tabs you currently have open? If that's all it is, then it's sort of the opposite of what I was looking for. I don't need to sort a large list of open tabs because I'd rather not have that many open in the first place. I just want a shortcut to open a bunch of related tabs at the same time.

No offense, but that's a pretty dumb-ass attitude. Instead of complaining about it not being the thing you thought it was, perhaps you should spend some time figuring out what it actually it. It might be more useful than you think.

Moron. :rolleyes:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
No offense, but that's a pretty dumb-ass attitude. Instead of complaining about it not being the thing you thought it was, perhaps you should spend some time figuring out what it actually it. It might be more useful than you think.

Moron. :rolleyes:

Listen @MEJHarrison, you can't say that about @MEJHarrison, they're a friend of mine ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I read the last few posts, for the heck of it, checked for an update regarding the unlock with Apple Watch bug, and yes, 15.0.1 is coming down, specifically includes a fix for it :)

Verifying ...

Restarted ...

Phone smoking ...

Wait, what?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I read the last few posts, for the heck of it, checked for an update regarding the unlock with Apple Watch bug, and yes, 15.0.1 is coming down, specifically includes a fix for it :)

Verifying ...

Restarted ...

Phone smoking ...

Wait, what?
That won’t do. That won’t do at all. I’ve designated my apartment as strictly no-smoking. Not on my watch!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
:D

OK, it appears to be fixed! Masked up, locked phone, swiped up, Watch responded and it's unlocked.

Woot!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Awesome, unlock with Apple Watch now works for me!

Having Shortcuts deal with my new phone’s RAW images on the other hand still won’t work. Fix it Apple! Steve Jobs would never blah blah whine blah blah whimper etc.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
BTW, I am generally digging on the v15 across the devices, though it's hard to separate the improvements in iOS15 vs. the new iPhone which is 4 generations newer.

I saw our ATVs got updated, I need to check out the multi-camera view in HomeKit.

Top Bottom
1 2