Macrumors still nuking posts without even so much as a word

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The tacos would be his dowry.

I gotta say what he shared of his mom's recipes has been worth my trial and error attempts to replicate.

Of course I never tasted her original recipes or his implementation of what he shared with us either, but I have always wondered what she left out so he couldn't actually give away a family treasure. :LOL:

I had a friend at work whose Caribbean red beans and rice dish was out of this world. Various of her colleagues and I once upon a time shared her "secret recipe" with each after having separately asked her for it over the years. So.... yeah, not one of them was exactly the same as another.

Two of us finally confronted her on a casual lunch hour one summer day in the park. "Oh!" she exclaimed. "Yeah I always get confused between my mom's and my two aunties' recipes for those damn beans, but they are all just about the same really." :rolleyes:

Not really! 20 years later and I still ain't got it quite right. I can remember the exact taste of those beans. That woman should confess her mom never gave HER the secret recipe either! But her own = delicious.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of which, I've had this weird hankering for black beans and rice for over a week now. I need to track some down.

We do "beans bowls" all the time, black, kidney, white, all sorts of different beans, topped with whatever, usually some chicken, cheese, peppers. So good, super filling, and healthy (er, if you don't go cheese bonkers).

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I gotta say what he shared of his mom's recipes has been worth my trial and error attempts to replicate.

Of course I never tasted her original recipes or his implementation of what he shared with us either, but I have always wondered what she left out so he couldn't actually give away a family treasure. :LOL:

I had a friend at work whose Caribbean red beans and rice dish was out of this world. Various of her colleagues and I once upon a time shared her "secret recipe" with each after having separately asked her for it over the years. So.... yeah, not one of them was exactly the same as another.

Two of us finally confronted her on a casual lunch hour one summer day in the park. "Oh!" she exclaimed. "Yeah I always get confused between my mom's and my two aunties' recipes for those damn beans, but they are all just about the same really." :rolleyes:

Not really! 20 years later and I still ain't got it quite right. I can remember the exact taste of those beans. That woman should confess her mom never gave HER the secret recipe either! But her own = delicious.

Speaking of which, I've had this weird hankering for black beans and rice for over a week now. I need to track some down.
Would either of you care to share any of these (delicious sounding) recipes?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sounds like even recommending the vaccine is off the table, they've really caved to right wing ideology over there.

the fact that “vaccinations are good” is now such a controversial opinion that MR forums is silently scrubbing such opinions seems worthy of discussion to me.
It is worthy of discussion, but, this issue - is not confined to MR.

For, this begs questions about the whole world of online social media platforms (and what duty of care - if any - they owe to the societies and countries where they ply their business and pocket their profits).

It begs questions about how they are run, what they permit to be said (and written) online, how they conduct discussion and debate, to what extent they are allowed to ignore - or, worse, actively undermine - the actual health and not just the socio-political health of the societies where they dwell, all in pursuit of profit.

Yes, MR clearly believes itself exempt (and is allowed to do so) from any modern interpretation of the "social contract", but this condition is not confined to MR, but, instead, is depressingly rife across the entire online space.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It is worthy of discussion, but, this issue - is not confined to MR.

For, this begs questions about the whole world of online social media platforms (and what duty of care - if any - they owe to the societies and countries where they ply their business and pocket their profits).

It begs questions about how they are run, what they permit to be said (and written) online, how they conduct discussion and debate, to what extent they are allowed to ignore - or, worse, actively undermine - the actual health and not just the socio-political health of the societies where they dwell, all in pursuit of profit.

Yes, MR clearly believes itself exempt (and is allowed to do so) from any modern interpretation of the "social contract", but this condition is not confined to MR, but, instead, is depressingly rife across the entire online space.
To me it’s just particularly shocking given that Arn is a doctor.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's my biggest problem. I had a good helping of them awhile ago, and have been craving them again since. Other than the fact that it has black beans and rice in it, I don't know how to make them myself.

You take the rice ... you put black beans in it ... o_O

Hahaha, there's all sort of more homemade recipes, but usually do this as something quick and it's usually ingredients we have on hand. We keep cans of, usually Greenwise low sodium black, dark kidney beans, and usually some kind of quick rice, I actually prefer Asian style, like the PFC's you just pop into the microwave for 5 minutes. So I get a pot, a little OO, chop up some onion, maybe a chili if we have something, cook it a little, dump in the can of beans, they're decently pre-seasoned, but I add a little red pepper flake for some heat, simmer them for a few minutes, cook rice.

Dump a bunch of rice down, ladle over a bunch of beans/gravy, top with some shredded cheese, a little more fresh onion. Done. Easy. Cheap. Delicious. :D

Now, I've done a long prep and cook, New Orleans style, ground up, where I make a homemade roux, braise Andouille sausage, use fresh beans, etc., but that's a whole f***ing project that requires week of planning, a project coordinator, staff, etc. :ROFLMAO:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Well, yes, it is, and for that reason.

However, over the past year MR's stance (and that of many of the world's well known social media platforms also) on both the result of the US presidential election (and the subsequent, quite disgraceful, attempted coup d'état on 6th January, 2022), and, on the importance of the public good, public health policy and the protection of the health of the public by the promotion and implementation of (publicly funded) vaccination programs have appalled me, and yes, ultimately, these are the reasons why, in recent times, I have lost all respect for MR.

But, I repeat, this abrogation of responsibility, this monstrous moral vacuum, this lofty disdain for taking any responsibility for, or ownership of, or control of, what is written on these extraordinarily influential (and profitable) platforms is not something that is confined to MR; rather, they merely reflect (yes, an ethical black hole of cosmic dimensions) the values of the vehemently anti-democratic (as in those who do not believe in, let alone adhere to, the values of democracy - for, here, I do not refer to the political party) morally rotten, nihilistic, millionaires who own these platforms.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We called it out with him early on, his actions have shown that he definitely sides with the antivaxxers on that site. It's a shame to see any medical professional act as such but there are outliers and he seems to be one of them.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Would either of you care to share any of these (delicious sounding) recipes?

Sadly I think the ones from jk were scattered around some PRSI threads, maybe not all of them. Anyway I would look to see if I copied some of them into text files. If so I will put them in a food-related thread here. Same w/ what I know of not my friend's but another party's Venezuelan red beans and rice..

Really you can find great recipes on the net for most of this stuff, it's just simpler if someone you have gotten to know online a little bit has a recipe they've tried and maybe adapted or has remarks about the seasoning.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
We called it out with him early on, his actions have shown that he definitely sides with the antivaxxers on that site. It's a shame to see any medical professional act as such but there are outliers and he seems to be one of them.
No.

He sides with profit, and - for now - the pursuit of profit means that he resides with the anti-vaxxers in your society.

The problem is - and this is something that your society will have to address some day - that sacrificing everything to the pursuit of profit means that absolutely everything else - morality, ethics, public health, the public good (on anything, from women's rights, civil rights, racial rights, labour rights, the environment, guns, vaccination, respect for actual facts, let alone alternative viewpoints) - is deemed not just irrelevant, but an active and inconvenient irritant, one to be discarded, dismissed, and disregarded, - and, actively undermined should it interfere in any way with the pursuit of profit to the exclusion of all else - should your sole goal in life take the form of satisfying your shareholders (at the cost of everything else) and lining your pockets with your profits.

So, be it. This is where mindless worship at the alter of the Free Market will ultimately lead you.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
At least one moderator over there just can’t help himself worried about a discussion of cable companies and streaming, felt the need to cut a bunch of posts as “off topic” as in we need to keep the Andor thread pure…he must be feeling the need to remind the mere mortals who king of the forums is… It’s a good reality check for those of us who still play there. :unsure:

Link

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
At least one moderator over there just can’t help himself worried about a discussion of cable companies and streaming, felt the need to cut a bunch of posts as “off topic” as in we need to keep the Andor thread pure…he must be feeling the need to remind the meremortals who king of the forums is… It’s a good reality check for those of us who still play there. :unsure:

Link
I can see the frustration when things go off topic but they'll typically get back on track eventually, I think a moderator just asking them to get back on would go a long way but they're just trigger happy there.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can see the frustration when things go off topic but they'll typically get back on track eventually, I think a moderator just asking them to get back on would go a long way but they're just trigger happy there.
8 of my posts in repose to others were erased… the sad thing is I can’t even remember what they were talking about specifically. :oops:

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
right.....when I came here, I noted a lot of comments about moderation at other places......but in a relatively short time I've seen posters banned here for "unacceptable comments".....so ok that's the way it goes

"moderation" is everywhere......and let's not pretend otherwise

Last edited:

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
seriously, these are privately owned operations........say something that annoys the owners, and they get to "moderate" it out of existence

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
right.....when I came here, I noted a lot of comments about moderation at other places......but in a relatively short time I've seen posters banned here for "unacceptable comments".....so ok that's the way it goes

"moderation" is everywhere......and let's not pretend otherwise
You saw no such thing, people have left on their own accord and that was their choice. I can count on one hand how many people have been actually banned from this site in its entire existence. We also rarely ever delete posts for any reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2