Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Dachau
20220403-_DSF9659.jpg

r.harris1

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd mentioned earlier in the month that I'd try show the effects of actual glass filters on a monochromatic sensor. Here we are almost at the end of April, sadly. I've been obscenely busy of late, unfortunately. These aren't great images but show what you can get. My method was to use my handheld spot meter to get a reading through the filter for the exposure. The camera was a tech camera with a monochromatic back with a 70mm lens. Along with having no CGA filter, the back also has no IR filter. I did not use a UV/IR cut filter in these so there may be some IR leaking through, but honestly, I'm still learning all of this stuff so I don't actually know :). The next time, I'll try to expose a bit better and use the IR-cut.

The first image is no filter at all. The second is a yellow filter. The third is a dark(ish) red filter. The last is an orange filter. Red filters can really help clouds in blue skies pop (it darkens blues) . Orange and yellows aren't quite as intense. Yellows are also supposed to be good at cutting through haze, though not a ton of that today. The last image is a color one from another back. And a behind the scenes shot as well. It's fun to use a monochromatic sensor but...there's a learning curve, at least for the likes of me. Of course, we can just use a color image and whack it in LR, C1 or your favorite processor but...then I wouldn't have anything to write about :D.
NOFILTER.jpg

YELLOWFILTER.jpg

REDFILTER.jpg

ORANGEFILTER.jpg

P0001342 2.jpg

And the "behind the scenes"....
IMG_0314.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, amazing, thank you for the breakdown and samples of the various filters!

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
anyone have a suggestion for a new theme tomorrow? 🙂

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Don't know if many people are into it, and could be pretty lame, maybe signs (neon, roadside, buildings, whatever)?

Top Bottom
1 2