More than 270 medical experts call out Spotify, Joe Rogan for spreading COVID-19 misinformation

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
He actually says that's he's just a dumb ape whilst utilising the "I am just asking questions" shtick, as popularised by Limbaugh.

I am not sure whether he plays dumb and self-deprecates on purpose, or whether it's a learned mechanism that he has realised works over time, but it's a well known technique to garner support to appear humble and make the speaker more relatable to the listener.

Politics aside, Joe has always been a supplement meathead, constantly trying to formulate the perfect pot/shrooms/hunted meat combo for maximum efficiency and performance. He’d probably smoke or inject anything that grows in the ground or runs across a field if an “expert” nudged him in that direction. He’s a big fan of “occurs in nature”. He’d probably come to his same conclusions even if Covid was a just as deadly but rare virus.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Sweaty attempt to move the goal posts. 99.9% of drugs are developed for humans. Not 99.9% drugs are safe for humans.
By this implied logic, we should just hand out chemotherapy drugs over the counter to everybody.

Now you tell me, which one is much worse? Factually correct clickbaity titles or factually incorrect clickbaity titles?

No, what I am saying is a Top 5 news organization should not be calling a drug medically indicated for use in humans for parasitic infections a horse dewormer. What happens when a person is diagnosed with one of these parasitic infections and their doctor prescribes Ivermectin, but they won't take it because CNN called it a horse dewormer?

That is 100% irresponsible journalism. I would have had no problem with CNN doing a story on why people shouldn't take it. That is their job. But instead they simply wanted to make Rogan and people on the right who were clamoring for it look stupid.

I can't believe that you, as a medical professional, are OK with this.

Did people rush out to buy Ivermectin and when they could not get it at pharmacies started buying the farm animal dewormer versions? - Yes

Sadly, yes they did. But again, had the media done their job explaining the situation as opposed to just wanting to score points, people would have been informed enough to not do this.

U

User.45

No, what I am saying is a Top 5 news organization should not be calling a drug medically indicated for use in humans for parasitic infections a horse dewormer. What happens when a person is diagnosed with one of these parasitic infections and their doctor prescribes Ivermectin, but they won't take it because CNN called it a horse dewormer?

That is 100% irresponsible journalism. I would have had no problem with CNN doing a story on why people shouldn't take it. That is their job. But instead they simply wanted to make Rogan and people on the right who were clamoring for it look stupid.

I can't believe that you, as a medical professional, are OK with this.

You really have no shame, do you?

To be frank I've always considered you a mystery. I think I know you enough by now to know you're not trolling, but I still can't decide if you really have this little sense of proportion/relevance, or if you are really this misguided. One thing is certain, I would be ashamed of myself if I were contradicted as many times as you've been here.

Let's put it in perspective. We have a pandemic that killed every 400th American, we have a preventative intervention that reduces the risk of dying from the disease by 95%. Yet we have more than 50,000,000 Americans who aren't willing to get this intervention largely due to disinformation and the false belief in unproven drugs. We have the top public health experts in the world fighting disinformation tooth and nail in exchange for death threats that include their children and spouses.

Yet we have you here belaboring this point about the adequacy of calling a drug horse dewormer that isn't only primarily used as a veterinary antihelmintic, but due to the shortage, people are actually using the veterinary formulations which are by definition not human drugs.

Your fake concerns disgust me about this insultingly ridiculous hypothetical scenario of a doctor having difficult time prescribing 3rd-line ivermectin (after albendazole and mebendazole) for non-endemic diseases because CNN referred to it as horse dewormer. The real-life scenario is doctors desperately trying to convince people to get vaccinated and prevent thousands of unnecessary deaths a day and have to outcompete the Joe Rogans in the process.

You are shameless and unworthy of anybody's time.

---------
No. It was discovered to have interesting effects in mice back in the early 70s

People often go on about big pharma and its evils, but one has to stop and think when the company that invented the stuff (Merck) and stood to profit from it even further during the epidemic announced that there is no scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against Covid-19
Fun fact, that a lot of times these drug repurposing data come from serendipitous discoveries, where the small animal lab has a roundworm infestation and the animals treated with the dewormers show a remarkable resistance to the disease studied in the lab. Interestingly researchers design clinical trials to test the hypotheses, rather than starting to prescribe it to everyone left and right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
You really have no shame, do you?

To be frank I've always considered you a mystery. I think I know you enough by now to know you're not trolling, but I still can't decide if you really have this little sense of proportion/relevance, or if you are really this misguided. One thing is certain, I would be ashamed of myself if I were contradicted as many times as you've been here.

Let's put it in perspective. We have a pandemic that killed every 400th American, we have a preventative intervention that reduces the risk of dying from the disease by 95%. Yet we have more than 50,000,000 Americans who aren't willing to get this intervention largely due to disinformation and the false belief in unproven drugs. We have the top public health experts in the world fighting disinformation tooth and nail in exchange for death threats that include their children and spouses.

Yet we have you here belaboring this point about the adequacy of calling a drug horse dewormer that isn't only primarily used as a veterinary antihelmintic, but due to the shortage, people are actually using the veterinary formulations which are by definition not human drugs.

Your fake concerns disgust me about this insultingly ridiculous hypothetical scenario of a doctor having difficult time prescribing 3rd-line ivermectin (after albendazole and mebendazole) for non-endemic diseases because CNN referred to it as horse dewormer. The real-life scenario is doctors desperately trying to convince people to get vaccinated and prevent thousands of unnecessary deaths a day and have to outcompete the Joe Rogans in the process.

You are shameless and unworthy of anybody's time.

---------

Fun fact, that a lot of times these drug repurposing data come from serendipitous discoveries, where the small animal lab has a roundworm infestation and the animals treated with the dewormers show a remarkable resistance to the disease studied in the lab. Interestingly researchers design clinical trials to test the hypotheses, rather than starting to prescribe it to everyone left and right.

I know this wasn’t aimed at me but have incurred similar wrath and disdain in this thread. I also corrected when given better information or counter to disinformation.

I think I posted in another thread that there was a day at my work when a couple of anti-vaxxers were mumbling about the possible impending mandate and how it might impact their job situation. Their objections were peppered with Fox News talking points like there just isn’t enough data yet and people were dying from getting the vaccine. After a couple minutes of back and forth I abruptly cut things off with “Just get vaccinated!” I was in no position to do that and my reaction was possibly outsized for the tone of the discussion, but I had it. Just do the bare minimum and get vaccinated FFS. Then maybe we can discuss everything else you’ve heard.

I assume most, if not all, of the members of this forum are fully vaccinated and probably got boosters, including myself. And not as a dig on this forum, but it’s hardly the place that’s going to potentially influence millions (or thousands…hundreds?...tens?). I didn’t see discussing alternative information as some big threat like it’s going to get out into the world like, well, a virus. I feel like the anger is coming more from a place of general exhaustion similar to when you are on the 6th tier of a tech support call and all 6 asked you the same fucking questions.

For my part I think I saw this thread as an opportunity to discuss alternative information and, hell, new information. Why this thread? You can actually listen to the episode that is getting the most heat and confirm or disprove what is said point by point. But I realize that is probably asking a bit much and violates the spirit of this thread which is to just rally against Rogan, or at least that’s what I realize now. Some threads feel more like you’re signing a petition than welcoming debate.

U

User.45

I know this wasn’t aimed at me but have incurred similar wrath and disdain in this thread. I also corrected when given better information or counter to disinformation.

I think I posted in another thread that there was a day at my work when a couple of anti-vaxxers were mumbling about the possible impending mandate and how it might impact their job situation. Their objections were peppered with Fox News talking points like there just isn’t enough data yet and people were dying from getting the vaccine. After a couple minutes of back and forth I abruptly cut things off with “Just get vaccinated!” I was in no position to do that and my reaction was possibly outsized for the tone of the discussion, but I had it. Just do the bare minimum and get vaccinated FFS. Then maybe we can discuss everything else you’ve heard.

I assume most, if not all, of the members of this forum are fully vaccinated and probably got boosters, including myself. And not as a dig on this forum, but it’s hardly the place that’s going to potentially influence millions (or thousands…hundreds?...tens?). I didn’t see discussing alternative information as some big threat like it’s going to get out into the world like, well, a virus. I feel like the anger is coming more from a place of general exhaustion similar to when you are on the 6th tier of a tech support call and all 6 asked you the same fucking questions.
That's absolutely not my point. Disinformation killed tens of thousands of people last year. My point is to stop rewarding disinformers with our attention.

For my part I think I saw this thread as an opportunity to discuss alternative information and, hell, new information. Why this thread? You can actually listen to the episode that is getting the most heat and confirm or disprove what is said point by point. But I realize that is probably asking a bit much and violates the spirit of this thread which is to just rally against Rogan, or at least that’s what I realize now. Some threads feel more like you’re signing a petition than welcoming debate.

Well, all I can say if we need Joe Rogan to learn new information, then we are fucked.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is not the only forum I've seen outrage over the CNN / horse dewormer story. The reaction is so far out of whack and largely coming from Fox News watchers, who are fed a steady diet of FAR, FAR, more damaging information from Fox.

Ivermectin doesn't need defenders. It's of no use to us in this pandemic. Vaccines are, and need all the supporters they can get. That CNN fucked up that story is of no consequence at all.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
That's absolutely not my point. Disinformation killed tens of thousands of people last year. My point is to stop rewarding disinformers with our attention.

Well, all I can say if we need Joe Rogan to learn new information, then we are fucked.
Hey guys! I just found proof that the earth is flat and big foot exists. Can we discuss without disdain?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just found proof that the earth is flat and big foot exists. Can we discuss without disdain?

spiderman-magic.gif

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
While the rumor of Barry Manilow pulling his music from Spotify is NOT true, the same can't be said about the great Joni Mitchell

Joni Mitchell said she’s pulling her music from Spotify following a similar move by Neil Young, while Barry Manilow said he’s keeping his on the streaming service amid rumours he was also removing his songs.

Mitchell said she was standing by Young, who accused podcaster Joe Rogan of spreading vaccine misinformation on his show distributed by Spotify.

For both these artists there isn't any real financial hit, having their music available on Spotify really meant it was available for possible new audiences. Still, it will be an interesting trend if this grows. For many artists as Aloe Blacc pointed out on the Daily Show, being on Spotify isn't any kind of financial windfall for the majority of artists on the platform. The biggest thing they do on the platform maybe making a show of leaving it for personal reasons.

U

User.45

While the rumor of Barry Manilow pulling his music from Spotify is NOT true, the same can't be said about the great Joni Mitchell

For both these artists there isn't any real financial hit, having their music available on Spotify really meant it was available for possible new audiences. Still, it will be an interesting trend if this grows. For many artists as Aloe Blacc pointed out on the Daily Show, being on Spotify isn't any kind of financial windfall for the majority of artists on the platform. The biggest thing they do on the platform maybe making a show of leaving it for personal reasons.
Good on Joni. My respect grew a lot for these two people. We need one more artist pull their discography and it will become a movement.

And just to prove that im not the one who dislikes spotifys sound

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm at work and my wife just texted about switching from Spotify to Apple because of this. I tried to get her to switch awhile back but she wouldn't. Of course, I've built up alot of music since on Spotify. Thanks Joe Rogan?
Interesting to see that it is having a negative effect on Spotify. I remember people were upset and wanted Howard Stern off the air back in the day, but that was because he is vulgar. He wasn’t promoting dangerous quackery.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Yet, by CNN jumping on the "horse dewormer" bandwagon, they have given way more attention to this issue than they should have.

All I am saying, and I can't really believe anyone would disagree, is that CNN has a duty to present facts. Calling what Joe Rogan took a horse dewormer is factually incorrect. ( I do make the assumption that what Rogan took is the actual version for humans).

They had a great opportunity to educate their viewers, but instead took easy path to try and generate clicks.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yet, by CNN jumping on the "horse dewormer" bandwagon, they have given way more attention to this issue than they should have.

All I am saying, and I can't really believe anyone would disagree, is that CNN has a duty to present facts. Calling what Joe Rogan took a horse dewormer is factually incorrect. ( I do make the assumption that what Rogan took is the actual version for humans).

They had a great opportunity to educate their viewers, but instead took easy path to try and generate clicks.
I thought we were obsessed with Fox News but you're making us look like boy scouts here with your hangup on CNN and this stupid story. Nobody cares, really man.

Joe Rogan has been peddling snake oil this entire time, this is why you're seeing blowback from scientists and citizens alike. He caters to dolts and there are millions of them out there, pushing his bullshit to the lowest common denominator.

Would be interesting to see if you have an opinion here that doesn't involve the obsession with CNN.

U

User.45

:D We literally debunked every single statement you've had about your headline of choosing but you still feel entitled to preach about journalistic values you actually don't believe in... But well, what would one expect from you.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I never understood the appeal of this guy. He’s a stupid meathead dude bro.

Here’s a discussion to pursue: why do people believe a middling stand-up comic who got fame on a stupid gross-out show instead of Dr. Fauci, who was instrumental in helping get the AIDS epidemic under control?

I've come to realize there's a huge group of people, many men, who are some mix of:

- A chip on their shoulder vs. academics/education, and they see Rogan as the perfect FU, a hard working guy who "made it without a PhD" (because in their mind, success == $$$)
- Talk a big game but are really just big fucking babies, at the end of the day they want all their bro-lifestyle uncompromised
- Rogan provides a simple channel for confirmation bias, and the bros love a fellow bro to confirm they're bro-ness ... HE LIFTS, I LIFT, FUCKIN' A, IM TAKING IVERMECTIN!

It's just a fucking absurd mix of being a shitty, selfish human being, and so ragingly stupid you're willing to follow the least informed, most indirect, illogical path as long as it doesn't inconvenience you.

U

User.45

Joni and Neil may not have quite the current cultural relevance with younger audiences, but they're icons in the music industry, and Joni leaves, and that trickles down into newer artists, as is already apparently happening:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1487308181500043265/
It's gonna be Domino effect. If other companies are smart, they'll use the opportunity to syphon away the users in an instant. Of course, Spotify will recover, but they'll really have to re-evaluate whether JR is worth it. And all thanks to Neil Young having the balls to stand up for what he (and I) feels right.

Top Bottom
1 2