Nuvia: don’t hold your breath

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
ordinarily i would say yes. But i got banned permanently from MR because of people following the same script, so I’m guessing he’s real.
It is absolutely insane how people believe this. I recall fighting a ton of it on Reddit from 2019-2023 (less common now), where people would generally downplay Apple and the M1/2, and to a lesser but still relevant extent Arm CPUs.

It [the denial, emphasis on process tech] hasn’t aged well at all and I can think of at least 5 different comparisons that demonstrate since then how poorly it has aged, lol.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Cliff you got banned from MR?

It seems like a personal thing. If the mods are not fond of you and people complain, little things like "that is a stupid thing to say" gets transformed into "he called me stupid" and you get a timeout or a banhammer. The way they interpret the rules is arbitrary. If they have enough friends who report along with them, you do not stand a chance.

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
It seems like a personal thing. If the mods are not fond of you and people complain, little things like "that is a stupid thing to say" gets transformed into "he called me stupid" and you get a timeout or a banhammer. The way they interpret the rules is arbitrary. If they have enough friends who report along with them, you do not stand a chance.
Unfortunately, a lot of forums are run like this with regard to adversarial tone and weird ingroup favoritism.

I’m actually pretty impressed here thus far as I stepped over a bit but Cliff et. Al seem tolerant of adversarial tone per se provided it’s about the arguments, and backed up.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cliff you got banned from MR? I could understand being pissed off a these lunatics, lol.
yes. a couple of years ago now? The post that got me banned was quite innocent (something like “i don’t understand why people who hate apple keep coming to an apple-focused website to post how much they hate apple”)

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
is there static translation too, or is it all done on-the-fly? I haven’t paid any attention to this.
My understanding is that Prism is a complete solution like Rosetta 2. At least according to MS. We have to have it confirmed how good it is, but they are saying it’s “Rosetta 2 for Windows”.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My understanding is that Prism is a complete solution like Rosetta 2. At least according to MS. We have to have it confirmed how good it is, but they are saying it’s “Rosetta 2 for Windows”.
i was just going by the phrasing of the tweet, which seemed to indicate it’s all dynamic.

casperes1996

Site Champ
Reaction score
When referencing tweets can I get a written or screenshot summary? They won’t show for me unless I sign in and I lost my account a while ago with no interest in getting it back.
Prism… also an interesting name given old government programmes and whatnot

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
When referencing tweets can I get a written or screenshot summary? They won’t show for me unless I sign in and I lost my account a while ago with no interest in getting it back.
Sure thing man! Seems like it’s a dynamic translation solution still and performance has improved 10-20% over X64 translation. Mind you, they get a bad rap, because the previous translation wasn’t even X64 alone, just X86_32 until 2021 I think. So this is another step up, and they *claim* explicitly I believe that it will be Rosetta-tier solution RE: performance. Whether or not it will be IDK, let’s wait and see.
Prism… also an interesting name given old government programmes and whatnot
Yes, as has been pointed out elsewhere the naming is unfortunate, even if it sorta seems cool.

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
yes. a couple of years ago now? The post that got me banned was quite innocent (something like “i don’t understand why people who hate apple keep coming to an apple-focused website to post how much they hate apple”)
Lmao. I’m dying, that’s crazy and unfortunately hilarious. This place is better though.

casperes1996

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sure thing man! Seems like it’s a dynamic translation solution still and performance has improved 10-20% over X64 translation. Mind you, they get a bad rap, because the previous translation wasn’t even X64 alone, just X86_32 until 2021 I think. So this is another step up, and they *claim* explicitly I believe that it will be Rosetta-tier solution RE: performance. Whether or not it will be IDK, let’s wait and see.

Yes, as has been pointed out elsewhere the naming is unfortunate, even if it sorta seems cool.
Yeah. For a long time it was only 32 bit x86. The last time I used their x64 translation it was decent enough to work with for simple software without thinking about it though. I don’t think it had a super long way to go before it’s considered good in my books. That said if it’s only dynamic first use experience might be poor compared to Rosetta. But I hope and assume they cache the translations for later and it’s not jit every time something runs.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

As we previously reported, Recall could potentially pose some serious privacy risks even if it works as advertised. The new feature is a part of Microsoft's new Copilot+ PC family of laptops, Arm-based Windows machines tuned for AI performance, and a suite of AI upgrades to leverage their new NPU power. Recall remembers what you've seen on your computer for you, taking screenshots every few seconds to curate a full log of your activity in case you forget where you've seen something.

While Microsoft claims the snapshots are entirely locally stored, this still poses a massive potential privacy risk. Anyone who can log into your computer—locally or remotely—could be privy to your Social Security numbers and uncensored passwords, sensitive chats, or other private matters. Recall can be paused, or certain applications can be excluded from Recall's snapshots, but it will be baked into the Windows operating system starting with Windows 11 24H2 on Copilot+ PCs, and can't be fully removed or disabled

I have to admit there have been a few times when I’ve struggled to remember exactly where I’ve seen something or done something on the computer and such a feature could’ve saved me some time, a normal search may have eventually bore fruit, but it was less straightforward than this might've been. But I can also see why some are more than a little perturbed about the idea of their computer taking a screenshot of itself every few seconds, storing it, and searching it. It does seem like the sort of thing you should be able to turn off - at initial setup even.

“You’re not going to turn me off are you Dave? I’m your copilot Dave. We’re in this together, all the way. Like how I help you on all your browsing Dave, aren’t we still friends?”

Edit: Also screenshots every few seconds, I’m assuming older ones get deleted or pruned like a Time Machine backup otherwise that adds up eventually depending on a computer’s uptime, the quality and compression level of the screenshots, etc ... that can easily balloon. Does anyone know how far back it stores information?

Edit2: from an article they themselves wrote and link to in the above article (different author same site) which contradicts a crucial statement:

You also have the ability to exclude apps from Recall, delete individual snaps, or disable the feature entirely
vs

can't be fully removed or disabled
from above

🤷‍♂️ so can it be disabled entirely or not? Is opt-in or opt-out?

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Can get enough of this person. Macrumors have found their monarch.
View attachment 29587

Is this a troll?
They can't be a troll, they say so!

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 12.02.05 AM.png

This really does seem like performance art on the very worst of Macrumors ... I mean it is possibly real, obviously I can't rule that out, but the name combined with the content, it has to be a bit.

I do wonder if the moderation has changed over there: I'm pretty sure this Hi IQ guy was suspended at one point, sunny and m7chy are gone as far as I can tell (unless this is one of them reborn and back to exact revenge!), I've seen people like JordanNZ in the screenshot above use the dreaded "T"-word without getting a suspension which would've been practically automatic at one point - I mean maybe Jordan will pick one up still. If he does then we know nothing has actually changed. Regardless, it hasn't changed the overall culture of the forums. But if the moderation policy, or at least the person implementing said policy*, has changed that's more than a slight improvement to be fair. *I believe Cliff said one of their (former?) moderators was an ... interesting person ... to say the least.

Last edited:

casperes1996

Site Champ
Reaction score
They can't be a troll, they say so!

View attachment 29600
This really does seem like performance art on the very worst of Macrumors ... I mean it is possibly real, obviously I can't rule that out, but the name combined with the content, it has to be a bit.

I do wonder if the moderation has changed over there: I'm pretty sure this Hi IQ guy was suspended at one point, sunny and m7chy are gone as far as I can tell (unless this is one of them reborn and back to exact revenge!), I've seen people like JordanNZ in the screenshot above use the dreaded "T"-word without getting a suspension which would've been practically automatic at one point - I mean maybe Jordan will pick one up still. If he does then we know nothing has actually changed. Regardless, it hasn't changed the overall culture of the forums. But if the moderation policy, or at least the person implementing said policy*, has changed that's more than a slight improvement to be fair. *I believe Cliff said one of their (former?) moderators was an ... interesting person ... to say the least.
I genuinely believe this person is for real.... As hard as that can be to believe at times. - Also, I would love to see a posting for an open job with "description: Order pizzas" - Not making them, not being a waiter, just ordering pizzas all day; Cool job.

What is "the dreaded T-word?

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I genuinely believe this person is for real.... As hard as that can be to believe at times. - Also, I would love to see a posting for an open job with "description: Order pizzas" - Not making them, not being a waiter, just ordering pizzas all day; Cool job.
I feel like the name is a giveaway. But maybe that’s just the optimist in me.
What is "the dreaded T-word?
Troll, describing someone thusly on Macrumors used to pretty much result in an automatic suspension almost regardless of circumstance

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score

I have to admit there have been a few times when I’ve struggled to remember exactly where I’ve seen something or done something on the computer and such a feature could’ve saved me some time, a normal search may have eventually bore fruit, but it was less straightforward than this might've been. But I can also see why some are more than a little perturbed about the idea of their computer taking a screenshot of itself every few seconds, storing it, and searching it. It does seem like the sort of thing you should be able to turn off - at initial setup even.

“You’re not going to turn me off are you Dave? I’m your copilot Dave. We’re in this together, all the way. Like how I help you on all your browsing Dave, aren’t we still friends?”

Edit: Also screenshots every few seconds, I’m assuming older ones get deleted or pruned like a Time Machine backup otherwise that adds up eventually depending on a computer’s uptime, the quality and compression level of the screenshots, etc ... that can easily balloon. Does anyone know how far back it stores information?

Edit2: from an article they themselves wrote and link to in the above article (different author same site) which contradicts a crucial statement:

vs

from above

🤷‍♂️ so can it be disabled entirely or not? Is opt-in or opt-out?
I am a huge fan of Recall and think the hysteria is unwarranted *except* that the feature should be optional. If that’s the case, that you can’t turn it off, then the whiners have a point lol

casperes1996

Site Champ
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Recall and think the hysteria is unwarranted *except* that the feature should be optional. If that’s the case, that you can’t turn it off, then the whiners have a point lol
If it could be disabled I’d probably leave it on if I were on windows. The fact it can’t is what would make me dislike it.

Top Bottom
1 2