Nuvia: don’t hold your breath

casperes1996

Site Champ
Reaction score
Troll, describing someone thusly on Macrumors used to pretty much result in an automatic suspension almost regardless of circumstance
Side story. A professor once asked me to change a slide in a presentation from using “thusly” to using “thus”. I was using it correctly. It was an adverb. I argued it was grammatically correct to say thusly and not thus in that case. Professor adamantly insisted saying it didn’t matter cause nobody says thusly and we shouldn’t unnecessarily confuse people so just change it to the word people know. So thanks for using thusly here.

Presentation was on memory ordering and the Linux kernel. Some structures they use for atomic operations and such.

Reaction score
They can't be a troll, they say so!

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 12.02.05 AM.png

This really does seem like performance art on the very worst of Macrumors ... I mean it is possibly real, obviously I can't rule that out, but the name combined with the content, it has to be a bit.

That was me they're replying to. They're absolutely trolling.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Side story. A professor once asked me to change a slide in a presentation from using “thusly” to using “thus”. I was using it correctly. It was an adverb.

To be pedantic, "thus" is not an adjective, it is more like a conjunction. You only use "-ly" to form adverbs on adjectives. You do not say "hencely" or "therewithly", thus, "thusly" is not really a valid construct. At least, in prescriptivist English, wherein "literally" never means figuratively.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
To be pedantic, "thus" is not an adjective, it is more like a conjunction. You only use "-ly" to form adverbs on adjectives. You do not say "hencely" or "therewithly", thus, "thusly" is not really a valid construct. At least, in prescriptivist English, wherein "literally" never means figuratively.
Thus is also an adverb, but so is thusly. It’s true that some commentators on language say thusly shouldn’t be used, only thus is correct, but others have pointed out its utility in that thus can have more than one meaning whereas thusly is typically restricted to a single meaning (ie “in this way”). It also can sound more natural because of the -ly.

For instance modifying the above sentence: describing someone thus on Macrumors used to pretty much result in an automatic suspension almost regardless of circumstance. The thus simply sounds odd - to my ears anyway - and you have the problem of multiple meanings of thus, more clearly demonstrated below.

Worse modification: describing someone on Macrumors thus used to pretty much result in an automatic suspension almost regardless of circumstance. Now the thus is really ambiguous. I’d argue, to me, it now means accordingly or consequently, but it could still mean “in this way” which was the original intent. describing someone on Macrumors thusly used to pretty much result in an automatic suspension almost regardless of circumstance. This sentence retains the original unambiguous meaning though it is a little awkwardly constructed.

Thus, while the are certain times I agree with prescriptivists, the proscription against thusly is not among them.

One of my favorites:

Last edited:

casperes1996

Site Champ
Reaction score
Fair play. This is a pedantic topic in nature so I welcome it.

Other than echoing dada-Dave on the matter I’ll steal an example from the dictionary’s page on thus

“Jeff knocked out Thomas, thus becoming champion.”
Thus there feels natural. But this doesn’t seem right
“Jeff knocked out Thomas thus” *demonstrated hit*
But this feels okay
“Jeff knocked out Thomas thusly” * demonstrates hit*

They may very well both be correct but the flow feels better in the second. But fair play, my prior grammatical reasoning was flawed.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
My understanding is that Prism is a complete solution like Rosetta 2. At least according to MS. We have to have it confirmed how good it is, but they are saying it’s “Rosetta 2 for Windows”.
Still want to know if Nuvia implemented something like Apple’s TSO mode for x86 emulation.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still want to know if Nuvia implemented something like Apple’s TSO mode for x86 emulation.
i would think they must have. Unlike the mac ecosystem, there’s no chance the windows ecosystem goes arm native essentially overnight.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
Okay, so I did some math on the Snapdragon Elite X by doing a search on Geekbench. They list scores for what I assume are several production models by Dell, Asus, Acer, Samsung, HP and Lenovo. The average GB scores for the production models is 2238 SC / 11827 MC.

That MC score is equivalent to 5.3 cores worth of performance – i.e., MC ÷ SC. So, you get 12 P-cores, but they add up to less than half that when they are all working together. That is actually pretty similar to Apple's MC ratio, except, Apple has E-cores.

Of the vendors, the highest numbers belong to Samsung while, by a very large margin, the worst GB numbers were posted from the Dell units. That kind of surprised me, in that Dell always used to be the name in PCs. But, these are notebooks, so maybe Dell is cutting corners on MBd design, using extra slow memory or something. Most of the Dells run 3.4GHz, but the one that reported a 4.0GHz clock was also the one with the absolute worst numbers of the whole list.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I did some math on the Snapdragon Elite X by doing a search on Geekbench. They list scores for what I assume are several production models by Dell, Asus, Acer, Samsung, HP and Lenovo. The average GB scores for the production models is 2238 SC / 11827 MC.

That MC score is equivalent to 5.3 cores worth of performance – i.e., MC ÷ SC. So, you get 12 P-cores, but they add up to less than half that when they are all working together. That is actually pretty similar to Apple's MC ratio, except, Apple has E-cores.

Of the vendors, the highest numbers belong to Samsung while, by a very large margin, the worst GB numbers were posted from the Dell units. That kind of surprised me, in that Dell always used to be the name in PCs. But, these are notebooks, so maybe Dell is cutting corners on MBd design, using extra slow memory or something. Most of the Dells run 3.4GHz, but the one that reported a 4.0GHz clock was also the one with the absolute worst numbers of the whole list.
Did you make sure that you pulled the same type of Elite chips with the same boost? When did I the same calculation they were 20% slower than they should've been in MC with an M2 all P-core design. Different Oryon Cores, even Elites have different relationships between SC (boost) and MC.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
Did you make sure that you pulled the same type of Elite chips with the same boost?

No, this was a Q&D sum-up. But I did keep track of the chip models. Most of them were 781s, with a relatively small number of 801s. Only the QC CRD units use 841s, and I assumed that CRD means not-a-production device.

ETA: A quick look shows that all the Dell and Samsung devices use 801s and everyone else uses 781s. Odd that both the best and the worst numbers are from 801s – showing that whole device design can make a big difference.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
No, this was a Q&D sum-up. But I did keep track of the chip models. Most of them were 781s, with a relatively small number of 801s. Only the QC CRD units use 841s, and I assumed that CRD means not-a-production device.

A quick look shows that all the Dell and Samsung devices use 801s and everyone else uses 781s. Odd that both the best and the worst numbers are from 801s – showing that whole device design can make a big difference.
Another thing to consider is that GB6 MC score has a nonlinear relationship with core count. I would’ve thought Apple’s heterogeneous design would have suffered more from GB6’s new approach but it is possible I have it reversed. CB R24 MC score has, in theory, a simpler, more linear relationship with core count. That’s not to say it necessarily has a better model of most users’ multithreaded workloads but it does provide a simpler comparison for these sorts of purposes.

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score
A quick look shows that all the Dell and Samsung devices use 801s and everyone else uses 781s. Odd that both the best and the worst numbers are from 801s – showing that whole device design can make a big difference.
There are no pizza parties at Dell or Samsung ☹️ (thusly)

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2