Oct 18 Apple Event

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
So using the battery as a “capacitor“ when needed? lower pro models only get a 67W charger, versus a 96W.
Hard to say. The MagSafe charger is 140w, so maybe it throttles down the peak if you aren’t using that charger. I also suppose this means it doesn’t support the new high power usb-c charging spec?

D

Deleted member 221

I am a little bit bummed that they didn’t do ethernet through the power adapter in a way similar to the new iMacs

(at least optionally)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Ahh, I didn’t realise that there is a 140w charger, since I’ve only been looking at the 14” model. The 14” Apple M1 Pro with 8-core CPU, 14-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine comes with a 67w charger. Everything above that comes with 96w charger. They are offering the 140w charger for all of the 16” models. Now I really want to see the difference in benchmarks between m1 max 14” and m1 max 16” and whether the 140w charger makes a difference for the 14”. 140w seems like a weird choice considering the high power usbc spec. They would have known about it coming, so no reason to do it the apple way and do their own thing.

That’s why it would be really interesting to know if they actually support the usbc spec too, but it seems not.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Looks like fast charging on the 16” requires MagSafe with the 140W charger, but you can fast charge on the 14” without it (you may need to use a 97W charger?)

I wonder if there’s a way to tell it *not* to fast charge, regardless of the charger.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Pretty much.
No. Despite all appearances, I'm a bit selective about who I invite.

I expect that to get me banned any time now.

I will _not_ invite hazmat, PowerfulPeach or appledouche at any point.

Or, anyone on my ignore list. I'm down to about 400 now...

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
OK, now I'm confused. I have an LG 24" 4K Thunderbolt 3 monitor which plugs right into one of the four USB/Thunderbolt 3 ports on my 2018 MBP. Works a treat, keeps both itself and the MBP charged up. When I turn on the MBP the external monitor turns on as well. I've been loving this for the past nearly two years that I've had it.

So now..... Apple pulls a whammy and delivers new MBPs with an HDMI port and an SD card slot (neither of which I'm the least bit interested in) and only THREE USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 ports. If I use the Magsafe to charge the machine, fine, that leaves three Thunderbolt ports free for other stuff, but what happens when I plug in that LG monitor? It'll take up one of those Thunderbolt ports, for one thing, and I don't know if it will get confused and also try to keep both itself and the MBP charged. If I wanted to plug it into one of the Thunderbolt ports and ignore the Magsafe charging port altogether, no issue there except that again it's gonna take up one of the three valuable Thunderbolt ports, leaving me with only two and the stupid Magsafe port goes to waste..... Sigh.... I suppose I could just go with getting a hub and plugging stuff into that, which would leave the ports on the machine free, but I really don't want to do that. Thankfully, I've lots of time to see how things are going to work out for other people in the real world before I confront this situation myself in a few months, but of course I'm already thinking about it now.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
OK, now I'm confused. I have an LG 24" 4K Thunderbolt 3 monitor which plugs right into one of the four USB/Thunderbolt 3 ports on my 2018 MBP. Works a treat, keeps both itself and the MBP charged up. When I turn on the MBP the external monitor turns on as well. I've been loving this for the past nearly two years that I've had it.

So now..... Apple pulls a whammy and delivers new MBPs with an HDMI port and an SD card slot (neither of which I'm the least bit interested in) and only THREE USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 ports. If I use the Magsafe to charge the machine, fine, that leaves three Thunderbolt ports free for other stuff, but what happens when I plug in that LG monitor? It'll take up one of those Thunderbolt ports, for one thing, and I don't know if it will get confused and also try to keep both itself and the MBP charged. If I wanted to plug it into one of the Thunderbolt ports and ignore the Magsafe charging port altogether, no issue there except that again it's gonna take up one of the three valuable Thunderbolt ports, leaving me with only two and the stupid Magsafe port goes to waste..... Sigh.... I suppose I could just go with getting a hub and plugging stuff into that, which would leave the ports on the machine free, but I really don't want to do that. Thankfully, I've lots of time to see how things are going to work out for other people in the real world before I confront this situation myself in a few months, but of course I'm already thinking about it now.
Should be no problem plugging the LG monitor into the thunderbolt port - it won’t try and power the mac as long as the mac is receiving power from the MagSafe.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks! That is what I was wondering.....I thought there might be conflict somewhere along the line. Of course I am not happy with the idea that this will then take up a Thunderbolt/USB-C port and I'll only have two to use, but I really don't use three at a time all that often, just once in a great while....

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
These look great, but I'll be passing. First, after 7 years, I picked last March to upgrade my laptop. Just a few months before the M1 was announced. And second, I got a new laptop just in time to start working at home and not need a laptop at all really.

I'll hold off jumping into the Apple silicon game until I can replace my 2017 iMac. I've got the 27", so the new smaller ones really aren't appealing. I could go Mac mini I suppose, but I really like my Apple screen. So I'll be patient for now and wait for them to refresh the 27".

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Thanks! That is what I was wondering.....I thought there might be conflict somewhere along the line. Of course I am not happy with the idea that this will then take up a Thunderbolt/USB-C port and I'll only have two to use, but I really don't use three at a time all that often, just once in a great while....

Well, if you use MagSafe, then you have 3 USB/TB ports. If you currently use USB for power, then you only have 3 USB ports available.

So it seems to me you are no worse off, other than if you are using the USB port for both power and data, which, of course, happens for some situations like yours. Overall not worse for most people, and probably better for most.

BUT, the HDMI port is only HDMI 2.0 (which is not a surprise to me - I predicted that many months ago on MR, due to TB bandwidth, and my guess that they are using a TB channel for this. (There is a way to support encoding onto less bandwidth, but it is not universally supported).

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple seems to hav some issues with the order volume right now. I messed up too :D I ordered a 16", then realized that I didn't use educational discount. So I ordered another one with the intent to cancel the first order. Apparently the two M1 Max put my credit card over it's limit. The first payment went through (and has been canceled), the second didn't go through. I have tried three other credit cards, and every time Apple says "authorization denied". The hotline is completely swamped so I can't reach anyone. I think I'm screwed. By the time this gets figured out my shipping time will be January...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Apple seems to hav some issues with the order volume right now. I messed up too :D I ordered a 16", then realized that I didn't use educational discount. So I ordered another one with the intent to cancel the first order. Apparently the two M1 Max put my credit card over it's limit. The first payment went through (and has been canceled), the second didn't go through. I have tried three other credit cards, and every time Apple says "authorization denied". The hotline is completely swamped so I can't reach anyone. I think I'm screwed. By the time this gets figured out my shipping time will be January...
Ouch. That’s awful.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
So, about that notch…

What happens when the cursor tries to enter the notch region? Does it go under the notch to hide? Does it bounce off the notch with a cute sound effect? Does it just stop and scream out in agony? Does it portal to the other end? Does it just slide along the edge?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
So, about that notch…

What happens when the cursor tries to enter the notch region? Does it go under the notch to hide? Does it bounce off the notch with a cute sound effect? Does it just stop and scream out in agony? Does it portal to the other end? Does it just slide along the edge?
Good question. I bet it does the same thing as when you butt up against the top of the screen.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
So, about that notch…

I hear it disappears, and you never get it back.

Top Bottom
1 2