Oct 18 Apple Event

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bright colors for the Homepod mini! Hot damn!

No, I’m still not getting one, and Siri still sucks. I use it exactly once a month on the 19th to set a 40 minute timer so I’ll know that I can now eat and take my pills after my Boniva. Other than that, it’s Alexa all the way.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
So the big event is today, right? Predictions?

Oh wait ...
No need to wait! There’s already a leaked copy of the event posted by Apple! They even included some predictions below the video. Clumsy.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just to keep my geek cred intact ...

When we got back home, I slung all the bags into the garage, ran in, grabbed a beer a fired up the event. :D

Wife watched too, she faded during a few of the slow paced "Let me review the features ONE MORE TIME ..." moments, I sort of did too.

Wife afterwards: "If you need one of those, get one, and use the business card" :love:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was a little surprised they didn't dump the 14" internals into a Mini case and call it a day (per the previous M1 designs), but the M1P/M1M (what's the currently accepted short form?), may require a little more engineering - or - there's something else on deck that's a little more-than-a-Mini.

That said, I'm tempted to just get a 14", 32GB / 1TB with the M1Max, which would pretty much be my Mini spec. When I got my Mini the equivalent notebook in terms of CPU/RAM was about $900-1000 more, but that would've had a substantially better GPU, and of course, been fully mobile (vs. easily portable :D).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I reckon this is purely a potential shortage / able to meet supplies for more profitable stuff (mbp) strategy / thing. Once the initial hype and ordering dies down and Apple is happy that they can meet the demand for the higher profit devices, they will shove in the m1 pro / max into the mac mini case, which I highly suspect has much less profit margins and sales.

That's a great point, and the Mini has just been quietly updated in the past, it's not =event worthy= :ROFLMAO:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Well, if you use MagSafe, then you have 3 USB/TB ports. If you currently use USB for power, then you only have 3 USB ports available.

So it seems to me you are no worse off, other than if you are using the USB port for both power and data, which, of course, happens for some situations like yours. Overall not worse for most people, and probably better for most.

BUT, the HDMI port is only HDMI 2.0 (which is not a surprise to me - I predicted that many months ago on MR, due to TB bandwidth, and my guess that they are using a TB channel for this. (There is a way to support encoding onto less bandwidth, but it is not universally supported).
Right, if I use MagSafe to power the machine, that's fine.....but then I will have to plug in the LG Thunderbolt 3 monitor separately to it, which will take up one of the three Thunderbolt/USB-C ports, leaving me with only two to use in addition. The LG monitor uses ONLY the Thunderbolt 3/USB connection; it has no other way of connecting it to any computer. I often plug in two external drives simultaneously while transferring files from one to the other. With my current setup I have the LG monitor plugged into one of the 2018 15" MBP's four Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports, leaving me with three free to use, and there have been times when I've needed to use all three at the same time. In addition, I'll also have to plug in both the monitor and the computer separately to the power source, a surge protector...... Oh, well, first-world problems, eh? :)

As for the HDMI port, I've never used one and don't anticipate any need to do so in the future, so that will be wasted on me, but I do understand that many people indeed DO need them and it will valuable to them to once again have that available on their mobile computer, especially for business and education related activities.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Right, if I use MagSafe to power the machine, that's fine.....but then I will have to plug in the LG Thunderbolt 3 monitor separately to it, which will take up one of the three Thunderbolt/USB-C ports, leaving me with only two to use in addition. The LG monitor uses ONLY the Thunderbolt 3/USB connection; it has no other way of connecting it to any computer. I often plug in two external drives simultaneously while transferring files from one to the other. With my current setup I have the LG monitor plugged into one of the 2018 15" MBP's four Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports, leaving me with three free to use, and there have been times when I've needed to use all three at the same time. In addition, I'll also have to plug in both the monitor and the computer separately to the power source, a surge protector...... Oh, well, first-world problems, eh? :)

As for the HDMI port, I've never used one and don't anticipate any need to do so in the future, so that will be wasted on me, but I do understand that many people indeed DO need them and it will valuable to them to once again have that available on their mobile computer, especially for business and education related activities.
Yep, can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to deal with connecting to projectors at places where I don’t control the setup, and it’s always a little janky dealing with the USB-C-to-HDMI adapters (I have 3 different ones. Typically I find that one of the three works, but it’s not always the same one). I’ll probably use that port a couple times a year. But the number of times I’ve used more than 2 USB-C ports since 2016 is probably zero. Maybe one. And one of those is always powering the computer. So I don’t mind losing the port.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I was a little surprised they didn't dump the 14" internals into a Mini case and call it a day (per the previous M1 designs), but the M1P/M1M (what's the currently accepted short form?), may require a little more engineering - or - there's something else on deck that's a little more-than-a-Mini.

That said, I'm tempted to just get a 14", 32GB / 1TB with the M1Max, which would pretty much be my Mini spec. When I got my Mini the equivalent notebook in terms of CPU/RAM was about $900-1000 more, but that would've had a substantially better GPU, and of course, been fully mobile (vs. easily portable :D).
They sucked me in with this setup. Now I have the apple card and monthly payments. Somehow, it's your fault.

D

Deleted member 221

was a little surprised they didn't dump the 14" internals into a Mini case and call it a day (per the previous M1 designs), but the M1P/M1M (what's the currently accepted short form?), may require a little more engineering - or - there's something else on deck that's a little more-than-a-Mini.

That's what I'm still hoping for / waiting on.
I already have a large external monitor and sound and peripherals, etc
I'm just not a laptop guy anymore and fully sealed up iMacs do nothing for me.

Mac mini pro please!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They sucked me in with this setup. Now I have the apple card and monthly payments. Somehow, it's your fault.

Sweet, what did you order? I'm still working my way through this thread, slowly, took an extra day off so things are in __low__speed__ today :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's what I'm still hoping for / waiting on.
I already have a large external monitor and sound and peripherals, etc
I'm just not a laptop guy anymore and fully sealed up iMacs do nothing for me.

Mac mini pro please!

Yeah, when I transitioned from my machine being a MBP to a Mini, it was because the laptop spent 98% of its last year "docked", i.e., on the deck, closed, with external displays/KB/mouse. I also kind of wanted to not be able to take work with me. Leave the desk, work is done. Plus, like I mentioned, at the time, the i7 Mini seem to have better sustained (CPU) performance and paying extra for capabilities I never used seemed silly.

I think a Mini is still my preference. I occasionally like to write away from the desk, but I can use of our M1 laptops, or even the IPP (and maybe I'll finally get a KB for it).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I get secondhand embarrassment whenever I see her comments.

MBP color ... it's serious ...

1634665668666.png

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple seems to hav some issues with the order volume right now. I messed up too :D I ordered a 16", then realized that I didn't use educational discount. So I ordered another one with the intent to cancel the first order. Apparently the two M1 Max put my credit card over it's limit. The first payment went through (and has been canceled), the second didn't go through. I have tried three other credit cards, and every time Apple says "authorization denied". The hotline is completely swamped so I can't reach anyone. I think I'm screwed. By the time this gets figured out my shipping time will be January...

In the end I canceled and ordered with the university supplier. If I am already going to wait for more than a month, I might as well get three year warranty for free…

Top Bottom
1 2